What games are you playing now?

Finally finished the last half of Rise of the Tomb Raider, since I really lost steam last time I tried playing it. Overall, it's almost like the first one. They're decent, but somehow they manage to keep me from caring about anything resembling story and characters. Plus, there's so much combat. I much prefer exploration and puzzles.

I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and so far it seems to tick the right boxes. In that, according to the save file, it says I'm 11% complete, and haven't had any firefights at all. Only tombs and exploration. Nice. I hope it keeps it like this, and they're more the exception than the rule. Which from what I hear from others, it seems like it might be.

Also just like Rise, Shadow is looking fantastic graphically. They really came into their own in terms of how these games look. I wonder how the UE5 version of Tomb Raider will look. I also hope that will also be a sort of a reboot, and they do something about Lara and the rest of the characters, to make them more compelling. I can see some traces of humanity, in Shadow, but still nothing as close to what I'd wish for. I just hope they do something to stir the pot in terms of story and characters. I hope they have someone with a strong vision as to how the next Tomb Raider will be.

1.wonderboy the curse of something
2.titan quest(still on act I wtf its so long!)
3.encased
4.creaks
5.wasteland 3
6.black geyser:courier of darkness

still not sure what's more fun to play..I thought on my time off i'll be eating up games..but it feels more and more silly lol

I've never enjoyed the combat parts of Tomb Raider, I think it's more suited to exploration, stealth and puzzles. I've never been beyond the first game of the reboot though.
I thought the reboot did combat a lot better than the older titles, but I still don't find the series compelling enough to continue playing. I finished the 2013 game but quit 'Rise' a few hours in. It just seemed like more of the same.

1.wonderboy the curse of something
2.titan quest(still on act I wtf its so long!)
3.encased
4.creaks
5.wasteland 3
6.black geyser:courier of darkness

still not sure what's more fun to play..I thought on my time off i'll be eating up games..but it feels more and more silly lol
I think it's harder to enjoy any game when you're trying to play that many at the same time.

So I suppose your backlog library of games is empty, right?
Oh I have a backlog I rarely finish games I buy nowadays. Doesn't help not to many new games interest me, or have been released. So back to finishing and replaying old games.

Might finally play Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy, or finish Phoenix Point as well.

I thought the reboot did combat a lot better than the older titles, but I still don't find the series compelling enough to continue playing. I finished the 2013 game but quit 'Rise' a few hours in. It just seemed like more of the same.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider feels pretty significantly different in the amount of tombs and crypts. I'm under 25% and I've already cleared about 4-5 crypts, and 3 tombs. Crypts are basically a miniature version of full blown tombs. There seems to be significantly more of this than both previous versions.

And these are just the campaign ones. There seem to be another 8-10 DLC tombs that are separate from the main campaign, and that are done for score or time. They really went overboard with tombs. I seem to remember they did this as a reaction to a common complaint that there were very little in the previous ones? Can't remember.

I think it's harder to enjoy any game when you're trying to play that many at the same time.
well. i am not playing them at the same time. that would be impossible :D

i just showed a list of what grab my interest in the past months. by that order. its like this : "oh i wanna try this one!"> switch to another game>"oh theres a sale!">switch to another game>repeat until lose interest.

so you finish your games like a job? i finished my games they're cool and good enough for me.

well. i am not playing them at the same time. that would be impossible :D

i just showed a list of what grab my interest in the past months. by that order. its like this : "oh i wanna try this one!"> switch to another game>"oh theres a sale!">switch to another game>repeat until lose interest.

so you finish your games like a job? i finished my games they're cool and good enough for me.
I finish games that I enjoy enough to finish.

I don't play multiple games simultaneously though. If I'm doing that, it's usually an indication that none of them are good enough to capture my full attention.

Ok, I think I might be done with Shadow of the TR. It's very similar to my experience with Rise. I played it till around halfway, then I lost steam, since there's really nothing grabbing me. It's the same as with Rise. The gameplay is decent, the scenery is fantastic, but the story is oh so boring, and I'm just not curious where it goes. Since nothing too interesting is gonna happen.

I think what killed it for me, and what made it really feel like a job, it's that these games are also beginning to suffer from the Assassin's Creed bullshit, of just giving you hundreds of things to find around the environment. Nothing meaningful, just giving checkmarks for the OCD players. And I tend to do that. And after arriving in another city hub, and seeing another 20+ things to locate on the map, it suddenly felt like a job. So I'm over it for now.

Edit: actually, nevermind. I picked up steam again and did another tomb which was pretty hard and sweet to overcome.

Last edited:
I'm finally gaining some traction in Dying Light 2. I'm around 20 hours in now and starting to realize it's pretty good once you accept the fact that it's different from Dying Light.

I'm done again with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's just so freaking long, and they're now dumping a bunch of side quests on me. And I haven't the slightest bit of interest. I'm even skipping the dialogue and just going to the waypoint on the map and fighting dudes. The story and dialogue is so boring and uninteresting. And it's funny, some of the times, Lara gives the most generic answers. I swear, it's like they're trying to put in some very superficial rpg elements into it, just to pad it out. It's like baby's first rpg.

You could try to finish PoE (or POE if you prefer) ;)
Zing good one. I still have to finish Original Sin 1&2 along with Wrath of the Righteous.😭

I finish games that I enjoy enough to finish.

I don't play multiple games simultaneously though. If I'm doing that, it's usually an indication that none of them are good enough to capture my full attention.
I didn't play them simultaneously. its the order of which i played them.
and no. i don't think they aren't that good. i just lost my immersion because of shorter attention span. so then i go to another game etc etc..for example now i feel like playing an adventure game.

I threw a wrench into what I'm playing, and started up a game I played ages ago, but never finished. I don't remember almost anything about the story, but I remember liking what I played. Anachronox. What a blast from the past. So quirky and interesting. I'd be really curious how much of what I like about it is due to nostalgia, and what my reaction would be had I not tried the game at all.

Zing good one. I still have to finish Original Sin 1&2 along with Wrath of the Righteous.😭
Same here, actually. And PoE 2... 🤔

I think I wasn't too far from the end in D:OS1, but I'm not going back there. I don't think I will ever finish D:OS2 either, I liked it but it's just so damn long.

For WotR I'm just waiting for the right moment, and PoE 2... maybe, it deserves another try.

Stray on PS4
an impulse purchase that's gripped me, and i must say this - it deserves every word of praise it's gotten. Great cat-POV exploration in a memorable environment, limited inventory of quest-only items, sensible puzzling, and the soundtrack hits just right.
Truly superb game!

Strange Horticulture on PC
Nice, quirky little indie about being flower shop owner in a dark victorian-era setting. You inherit the shop from your uncle, and uncover many mysteries about him and the world, meanwhile supplying the locals w/ all their bizarre horticulture needs - while trying not to go mad yourself. Unique gameplay, fun puzzles that arent too hard or nonsensical, and can run it on a potato laptop. Definitely recommend

I didn't play them simultaneously. its the order of which i played them.
and no. i don't think they aren't that good. i just lost my immersion because of shorter attention span. so then i go to another game etc etc..for example now i feel like playing an adventure game.
Yes, you already mentioned that.

I was just saying that, for me, it would be an indication that I wasn't getting very immersed in one game. I'm not saying the same is true for you. I've talked to people who play 3-4 (or more) RPGs at the same time and are able to enjoy them that way. I've never been able to do that.

Back
Top Bottom