What games are you playing now?

I've started my 'horror season' that I do every year around Halloween. First up is RE2 remake. Don't like the new look for Leon.In the past he seemed Eurasian, possibly Russian father and Chinese mother, now he's totally western and this distracts from his mystique. I had to roll back to an earlier save in the Police Station because I was killing everything each room at a time and ran out of ammo. After avoiding as many enemies as possible, I got to the end with stacks of extra bullets and herbs. Just started 2nd attempt with Claire and is a lot more stuff lying around but shorter on inventory space. I'm wondering if I should be killing more this time or saving it for later.
After I'm done with RE2 I'll be doing Heavy Rain, and then RE3 remake.
Those should take me into November, and then I'll round out the year, as I began it, with some Gothic: Chronicles of Myrtania.

By the way, another tweak you might want to do is to make the cursor stay when you pull out your bow. Sure, not having it makes it more immersive, but also makes archery a lot more tedious: oh, the arrows I've spent trying to hit a fleeing rabbit... :eek:
Good to know, thanks!

I've tried that in real life but I've never understood how people could shoot a bow without a sight, I found it very hard to get constant results.

I've tried to startup a playthrough of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but I think I don't have the patience right now. So, then I thought about Elden Ring. After, again, fiddling with the fact that the game doesn't support ultrawide, I got it running. I just wonder if I should maybe wait some more, if they're planning on an expansion or anything. Any signs of such a thing to happen? I guess not?

There has been no official announcement of an expansion for Elden Ring, but one should expect it to drop next summer.

I'm playing Hurricane Ian: The Aftermath. 😉

It's not very fun, and I can't recommend it. There's a lot of just waiting around. There's no AC mechanic, so your character sweats a lot, and he's kind of dirty because they didn't include a shower function either.

You spend most of your time picking up debris around your base. You occasionally venture out into town, but there isn't much there. You usually just end up finding some canned food and bottled water. I'm currently farming for materials to repair my base, but I can't find any. I'm also getting low on fuel, but that's nearly impossible to obtain at my current level.

1/10

Saw some gameplay footage from that. It's looks nasty as hell. But the water and wind physics look so realistic. :( Jokes aside, hope you're doing ok, aside from the worst of it!

I've been playing a bit of Elden Ring, and for some reason I'm getting nauseous while playing. I think it might be due to the FOV. I'll need to play around with that.

I've almost finished The Dungeon of Naheulbeck.

It's been a fun game but I am getting a but tired of it now.
The humour was fun but I'm not going to buy any DLC or anything like that.

It's got some good elements other than the humour including fun combat with good and inventive skills but the item progression is very weak in my opinion.

I would put it in the same place as Xcom chimera squad. A nice little game to play if you want a turn based combat game that's a bit different. It's actually slightly too long for that in my opinion but it's certainly quite good.

Saw some gameplay footage from that. It's looks nasty as hell. But the water and wind physics look so realistic. :( Jokes aside, hope you're doing ok, aside from the worst of it!
I'm just thankful that none of my friends & family were injured.

I'm also glad that I can still access the internet through my phone. It's a small thing that we usually take for granted, but it's huge for me right now.

I'm just thankful that none of my friends & family were injured.

I'm also glad that I can still access the internet through my phone. It's a small thing that we usually take for granted, but it's huge for me right now.
It's insane the kind of weather the US gets. In that regard, I'm so lucky to be almost fully surrounded by mountains, and very much inland. No serious earthquakes, nor anything else too significant. Hope you're able to get back to normal as soon possible.

I've managed to find a good FOV for Elden Ring. Seems it was indeed the narrow FOV that made me nauseous. Suprisingly, I couldn't even tell that it was that bad, since it's an open world game. I just felt it.

Another interesting thing, the game on max settings but locked at 60fps is putting a load on my gpu similar to RDR2. And if I unlock the fps, it's very hard to get over 70-80. It must be an issue with the game, I guess. And another testament to how fantastic RDR2 is in comparison, that it looks way better but performs similarly.

Played some more of Elden Ring. Haven't reached Stormveil castle, but I think I explored almost all areas that you can before entering the castle. I fought around 4-5 optional bosses in 4-5 optional tombs/dungeons. The general feel is solid, gameplay also solid, but the 4-5 dungeons were very small and underwhelming. So were the boss fights. They really felt a bit like just filler content. I expect it gets better later on.

Even though the dungeons were underwhelming, the exploration was very solid. I even jumped down to a beach that seems to be unreachable any other way than by using the horse air currents, or whatever you call them.

Finally beat the first kingdom's - Caerleon - story in Brigandine: Grand Edition + Grand Battles patch + hardest difficulty. With cheats of course, but nothing extreme. :) The best amazing feature of this game is that the full story - anime cinematics - is divided up between the six kingdoms. Additionally there are special missions which give short anime cutscene cinematics with excellent direction! AKA the cult-classic SLAYERS!

The characters are so noble, loveable and cute that this game is like a couple of MUSTPLAY!™ classics, they'll be in your heart forever. Truly an amazing masterpiece. In this light its easy to forgive some boring / inane quest-stories and the mediocre sprite animation, plus the weak special effects.

I encountered the Evil Big Boss and the Two-Stage MEGABOSS right in the first story, so it increased the games greatness further.

Since I'm a big fan of Japan and Ninjas, I immediately began the second story as the Esgares Empire, just so I can have my first ninja hero! Yaay! :D

Esgares' intro story - boosted with anime cinematics - is also supremely amazing!!

No wonder this game became a Cult Classic!!! Absolutely MUSTPLAY!™ and easily on the level of Fallout I-II. + Blackguards I.-II.!!

Haven't reached Stormveil castle, but I think I explored almost all areas that you can before entering the castle.
Are you sure? The probability of that is very low. Did you explore all of Limgrave, the weeping peninsula, and Celia, for example (and there is much more)? Not that you need to but you could...

Are you sure? The probability of that is very low. Did you explore all of Limgrave, the weeping peninsula, and Celia, for example (and there is much more)? Not that you need to but you could...
I meant all the areas that are accessible before entering Stormgate. Not all the areas in the game. But I just looked over a whole game map (and besides being shocked at how large it is), it seems I've still have a bit to explore to the east. The area marked in red is what I explored and cleared (aside from fighting the Tree Sentinel and the dragon in the swamp, which I still cannot take down). But aside from them, I think I cleared all areas and optional boss fights/dungeons that I found. As I said, aside from the area to the east. I somehow missed those. I'll explore to the east before entering the castle. Unless the difficulty curve ramps up significantly, that I can't manage, or that natural obstacles stop me. But from the looks of the map, I think the difficulty curve is what will stop me. There's a whole heap of land to the east.

View: https://i.imgur.com/qxCSfUO.png

I meant all the areas that are accessible before entering Stormgate. Not all the areas in the game. But I just looked over a whole game map (and besides being shocked at how large it is), it seems I've still have a bit to explore to the east. The area marked in red is what I explored and cleared (aside from fighting the Tree Sentinel and the dragon in the swamp, which I still cannot take down). But aside from them, I think I cleared all areas and optional boss fights/dungeons that I found. As I said, aside from the area to the east. I somehow missed those. I'll explore to the east before entering the castle. Unless the difficulty curve ramps up significantly, that I can't manage, or that natural obstacles stop me. But from the looks of the map, I think the difficulty curve is what will stop me. There's a whole heap of land to the east.

View: https://i.imgur.com/qxCSfUO.png
Yes, there are areas to the east, but also to the south. Moreover, the Stormgate is not the entrance to Stormveil castle yet, there is some more exploration to the north before ...
You can also avoid the Stormgate and even Stormveil Castle and explore the whole game map, if you like...

Yes, there are areas to the east, but also to the south. Moreover, the Stormgate is not the entrance to Stormveil castle yet, there is some more exploration to the north before ...
Indeed, there's a lot more to explore. I underestimated the size of it.

Played some more of Elden Ring. Haven't reached Stormveil castle, but I think I explored almost all areas that you can before entering the castle. I fought around 4-5 optional bosses in 4-5 optional tombs/dungeons. The general feel is solid, gameplay also solid, but the 4-5 dungeons were very small and underwhelming. So were the boss fights. They really felt a bit like just filler content. I expect it gets better later on.
There are a bunch of large dungeons in the game, but weirdly you don't get to any of them for a long time. I think From made a mistake with the pacing. All you see for hours are those little mini dungeons. It gets MUCH better later on.

I'm playing the demo of Weird West to decide whether to grab it next time it's on sale (for now I have enough backlog anyway). It's well done for the most part but I suck at the isometric shooting.

I started playing Sword Legacy Omens and after having played so many amazing tactical RPGs, this one seems really basic. I'm only at the start though, so I'll give it some more time.
It's meant to be a short game anyway.

Indeed, there's a lot more to explore. I underestimated the size of it.
One addition: If you do not plan to replay the game, you should explore very thoroughly in order not to miss several NPCs and their side quests (e.g. you can naturally meet about 10 NPCs in Limgrave alone before entering Stormveil castle). Or you search for a page listing all NPCs and their side quests, so you can check, if you have missed one.

If you want to explore a bigger dungeon before entering Stormveil Castle, go to the east in Limgrave and look for the Siofra River Well (a little bit northeast of the Mistwood Ruins). :devilish:

One addition: If you do not plan to replay the game, you should explore very thoroughly in order not to miss several NPCs and their side quests (e.g. you can naturally meet about 10 NPCs in Limgrave alone before entering Stormveil castle). Or you search for a page listing all NPCs and their side quests, so you can check, if you have missed one.

If you want to explore a bigger dungeon before entering Stormveil Castle, go to the east in Limgrave and look for the Siofra River Well (a little bit northeast of the Mistwood Ruins). :devilish:
Thanks for the recommendation. I went and explored a little bit outside of my level range, at least that's what it felt like. I even went far to the east, to the burned looking landscape with the dudes that give you scarlet rot. But quickly made my way back since it was obvious I was out of my depth. I then went south, and activated the map obelisk thingy there too. I'm not sure what the purpose was of hiding them map and only displaying after reaching those obelisks. It felt cool as a concept, but it's kinda meh in practice.

I also cleared and got access to the mage under ruins where the giant plants live (I think it's called Waypoint ruins), and picked up the weapon imbuing spell, that enhances your weapon with magic damage for 90s. And man did I need it for the fight against Margit. I also summoned the wizard right at the gate to Margit, and after around 5-6 attempts where I always ended up failing (this with 5 charges of the healing flasks at a +2 level) I was prepared to give up, and return later.

But after checking my inventory I noticed that I had found a spear that had +7, which I didn't even notice. It scaled with Dex, so at first I didn't give it much thought. This was also before having realized that the Round-table hold is only accessible via fast-travel, and I thought I was supposed to get to it only after Margit. I did see Melina's prompts at the bonfires, but thought that was just the game wanting to get me there faster, which felt weird. Anyway, the point was that I fought Margit before getting to Roundtable Hold, and before having a change to upgrade my usual weapon, a two-handed blade (I think it's called the Dismounter). So after having failed with that, since it had such a slow animation and range, I just switched to the Spear and demolished Margit (admittedly, on the second try with the spear). It seems the extra-range was enough to get me the edge over him, and I also luckily stunned Margit right as I was without anymore health charges. So I just narrowly killed him, before he killed me again.

Not sure if he's supposed to be that hard, or if I was just underleved, but it felt like a considerable challenge. Though, I was really happy I managed to best him after only 7-8 tries.

Anyway, besides the tense fight, the best thing about the game so far is the exploration. Just amazing. And I love how they hide smalled hidden holes everywhere in the castle. I love that. I hope they keep this great level design throughout the whole of it.

Back
Top Bottom