What games are you playing now?

Yes, that game has some of the most memorable guests. It gamifies every day grind in a creative way that feels fresh compared to games I have played. If you are still in the monastery and have not dared: make sure to sneak around and explore in the nights ;) The best, most messed up, things come to the ears of those who explore.

In this my year of the replay, I've just played through Days Gone. I still think of it as a love story and also a touching story of mens friendship.

I am now playing Witcher 3. Such an absorbing, alive and memorable world. They just don't make games like this anymore. First time round, I didn't like Ol' Medallion Man very much but I've warmed to him this time.

I started New World and it is really dissapointing, overall is feels like a really really simple game, nothing much to do just crafting and quests. I played just a day and already reached level 25 of 60 and never left the first area, and from what i saw there are 15 areas, so probably a lot of missing content on one char. The story is meh so far, i dont know how to say it but it doesnt feel like a mmo. Game runs like shit as well, lots of stuttering, first game that does this on GFN's cloud, but from what i saw on steam, ton of people with problems. Also there are no shops, you can sell your shit just to real people or dismantle, but its not really worth the hassle, the game is very easy, only died once.

In this my year of the replay, I've just played through Days Gone. I still think of it as a love story and also a touching story of mens friendship.
I thought Days Gone was pretty great. It's criminal that it didn't sell enough copies to greenlight a sequel.

Still busy playing It Takes Two on Fridays.

Masterpiece. Amazingly fun Co-Op game for two players that feels like a roller-coaster on its way through Neverland. Absolutely creative, full of fantastic ideas and vistas, constantly changing gameplay mechanics. Just recently we were playing pirates on a boat, followed by an area that played like Gauntlet, followed by a crazy ride through Time.

Fair pricing, too. If only one player owns the game, the other can join for free via a Friend's pass. Also available on XBox Game Pass.

I ended up buying Victoria 3 and played it for the past few days. It's a fun game, better than I remember Victoria 2 being - although I didn't play it much.
I think the main issue for me is that it's a lot of waiting around for things to happen.

The other thing is that late game, the game just lags like crazy. It's fine for the first 50 years (of ingame time ;)) but then it just slowly crawls to the point of it being better to crash. So I stopped my playthrough and will play again if they fix this.

Surprisingly, this is my first time playing Dragon Quest 3 (Switch, also on GBA, SNES)

Yes I know, jrpg, chibi, grindfest, etc, etc. -- BUT! For some strange reason, I have serious early Ultima flashbacks playing this little gem.
Aside the graphics and overall themes, the game is fairly "western-ish" and surprisingly complex: you have a big overworld for non-linear adventuring, lots of optional side quests, impressively flexible party system, and even a Lord British imitator king for good measure!

Heck, this is the first game where I genuinely enjoy grinding.

If you dislike jrpgs, because for reasons, try this one out -- you might be surprised (even so, considering the age of this game!)

For some reason WH40k Darktide sounded interesting, and the setting is nice. The shooting and melee feels very solid, but unfortunately it's very repetitive. Pretty much what I expected. It might be fun to waste some time with some friends, but I really don't have the time or patience for that kind of playing. I've reached a point where just gameplay by itself is not very motivating for me. I need more solid game design and story at a minimum. So I refunded it. But it was nice of them to have a closed beta to convince me it's not for me.

For some reason I tried Darktide again, and realized, aside from what I said above, what was another significant reason why I cannot play these sorts of co-op games. Regardless if I'm playing with strangers or friends, I always feel under pressure to play according to someone else's rhythm and can't just play at my own, explore as much as I like, and just set my own cadence. This is especially with strangers, but even with friends. I don't want to feel any pressure to wait, or to move ahead. I want to do so at my leisure.

For some reason I tried Darktide again, and realized, aside from what I said above, what was another significant reason why I cannot play these sorts of co-op games. Regardless if I'm playing with strangers or friends, I always feel under pressure to play according to someone else's rhythm and can't just play at my own, explore as much as I like, and just set my own cadence. This is especially with strangers, but even with friends. I don't want to feel any pressure to wait, or to move ahead. I want to do so at my leisure.
I played around with both Vermintide games, and, while they were fun for a few hours, I found them fairly shallow as action-RPGs. I didn't bother with Darktide because it looks like it's basically the exact same kind of gameplay in a different setting.

I got back into Dark Souls 2, after a break, and have reached the fight against the Pursuer. And even though I thought I'd at least have a decent chance against him, since I thought I had decent stats (20 str, 14 dex, 16 adp, 12 vgr), he's absolutely demolishing me, time after time. I can't block him since he pummels me into the ground or extinguishes my stamina. I can't seem to properly time my rolls around him. He has a ton of health. Currently I think this will be the death of me. This is probably the first skill check in DS2. And I might not have the mental fortitude to keep with it.

Yeeeaaah, you do. C'mon, we know how this goes. :)
I hope so. I at least found out that apparently the secret is always rolling back from his attacks, not sideways. But even so, he's so fast and 50% of the time I mistime his attacks, and he manages to get one slash in. And then I have the issue of healing. You apparently can only heal during the very short windows when you could be attacking once. So he takes a big chunk of my health, then I have to remain calm and find a moment to heal, and then start the dance all over again. And I only have 3 doses of healing. And he's got loads of health. So it's gonna be a very methodical and long fight, where I have to have nerves of steel. I'm seriously considering grinding some levels to maybe see if I can reduce that fight window. It feels too long.

Anyway, if I have any updates I'll post them on the souls thread.

I got back into Dark Souls 2, after a break, and have reached the fight against the Pursuer. And even though I thought I'd at least have a decent chance against him, since I thought I had decent stats (20 str, 14 dex, 16 adp, 12 vgr), he's absolutely demolishing me, time after time. I can't block him since he pummels me into the ground or extinguishes my stamina. I can't seem to properly time my rolls around him. He has a ton of health. Currently I think this will be the death of me. This is probably the first skill check in DS2. And I might not have the mental fortitude to keep with it.
There are large crossbows you can use to shave off some of his health. His pattern is easy to follow, don't get close, wait for him to thrust attack and just roll while locking (which exposes his back) and get a single or couple of slashes - then repeat.

There are large crossbows you can use to shave off some of his health. His pattern is easy to follow, don't get close, wait for him to thrust attack and just roll while locking (which exposes his back) and get a single or couple of slashes - then repeat.
Yeah, I read about the ballistas but was under the impression it takes some work to get him right in front of them. Like parrying him right in front of the ballista and then running to pull the trigger. Sounds like something I'm not gonna be able to pull off.

Otherwise, after 10+ attempts he's still pummeling me. The best of my attempts was getting him very close to under half of his health. And had no more flasks. So basically, I either farm for more power, or I spend the next hours just repeatedly attempting.

What's even worse is that the longer I play the worse I get. My anxiety keeps climbing and I find it harder and harder to manage it. My anxiety is always sky high in these games.

Yeah, I read about the ballistas but was under the impression it takes some work to get him right in front of them. Like parrying him right in front of the ballista and then running to pull the trigger. Sounds like something I'm not gonna be able to pull off.

Otherwise, after 10+ attempts he's still pummeling me. The best of my attempts was getting him very close to under half of his health. And had no more flasks. So basically, I either farm for more power, or I spend the next hours just repeatedly attempting.

What's even worse is that the longer I play the worse I get. My anxiety keeps climbing and I find it harder and harder to manage it. My anxiety is always sky high in these games.
Then I suggest to leave this boss now and explore elsewhere - there are many other paths and secrets in DS2 - its huge. Getting worse with repeated tries is understandable (at least from the hand fatigue point of view).

Alternatively if you are networked, put a sign to call for someone to help you with this boss.

Dying Light 2 DLC. Well, kinda. I got side-tracked by a bunch of stuff, including the messenger side quest sequence which I didn't realise I hadn't finished.

So, finally started it properly, and it doesn't leave a good first impression.
After a fun bunch of events at a local... fight club? ... it ends up this is not the DLC location and in order to get entry to that you need to do a bunch of challenges.

In general, I avoid the challenges in this game. There are many occasions where something that sounded like an interesting side quest revealed itself to be yet another timed challenge, and I'm like "not again" and go explore somewhere else.

Anyway, I did the three challenges and died on the last one, but somehow the game got mixed up about whether I succeeded or not, so started playing a bunch of dialog, etc, that congratulated me for being alive and telling me what I had to do next. Meanwhile, I was respawned in the challenge, fighting off exploding zombies (some of which seemed to have bugged out and failed to explode).

Fun. I quit at that point but intend to continue.

I finished my Witcher 3 replay, it's aged well, doesn't need a graphics upgrade imo. I'm now replaying DragonAge Inquisition but it's not really holding my attention. I'm finding the acting/story dull and the combat a bit tedious. If one aspect of a game excels then I can co-exist happily with some games.
I was considering buying Callisto Protocol but the reviews are bad and not enough hours gameplay to justify the full price tag.

Played the Far Cry 6 trial. Not impressed. Maybe it's the setting, but it didn't grab me at all. It's basically Far Cry 5 on an island. If you want more of the same though, it fits the bill.

Back
Top Bottom