What is your Favorite Setting in an RPG

What is your Favorite Setting in an RPG

• Epic Fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Forgotten Realms etc)

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Sci-Fi (CyberPunk, Outer Worlds, etc)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Historical/History Fictional (Assassin's Creed, Empire of Sin, etc)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Post Apocalyptic (Fallout, etc)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Horror (Vampyr, Vampire: The Masquerade, etc

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Something Else

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Luethar sends in this poll about your favorite setting in an RPG.

All of the above since I can't vote that for reference. I'm picking Sc-Fi as my dream is to play an open world space opera set in the Warhammer 40,000 , or Battletech Universe.

Maybe even Dune since there seems to be interest in the IP again.

Last edited:
All and none. It's much more specific to the actual setting we're talking about than this. Some fantasy settings are among my all time favorites, but for every one of those there are 10 generic, boring fantasy settings.

I'm open to any, if done well.

Any of the above. Possibly Historical a little less than the others, but if it's well done, I'm in.
I usually would agree about historical settings but Kingdom Come surprised me and it was made on a smaller budget then most RPGs today. A game called Medieval Dynasty shows promise as well. Sadly it's more of a survival game with RPG elements though.

For me, it's a toss-up between fantasy and post-apoc.

When I was younger, fantasy would have been the easy winner here. In recent years, my love for post-apoc has grown to equal fantasy as a setting.

I like every setting if the game is good and none if the game is bad. So "all" would be my choice but since it isn't there I chose "something else".

I'll play any of them if the story is compelling, with a decent combat system. Being turn based is also a huge plus. Any setting will suit me if those criteria are met in the product.

Epic fantasy, exclusively. I did play ELEX, because it's a Piranha Bytes game and because it feels more like fantasy than sci-fi, especially with Berserkers faction.

I don't know. Depends on the polish and my mood.

Right now, I want to play urban fantasy. Hmm, or sword and sorcery (Conan).

All are fine, really, as long as it's deep and stimulating enough.

Perhaps I'd like to see more historical settings (/ mythological ones), because I think that could be a good way to get to know parts of real history (/ real culture), rather than having always to learn lore about an imaginary world created for the sake of gaming. There are enough captivating periods of our history to draw inspiration from, the Assassin's Creed franchise has proven that (even if that hasn't always made sense with their original idea).

So that one had my vote :)

All are fine, really, as long as it's deep and stimulating enough.

Perhaps I'd like to see more historical settings (/ mythological ones), because I think that could be a good way to get to know parts of real history (/ real culture), rather than having always to learn lore about an imaginary world created for the sake of gaming. There are enough captivating periods of our history to draw inspiration from, the Assassin's Creed franchise has proven that (even if that hasn't always made sense with their original idea).

So that one had my vote :)
I wish there were more RPGs like Darklands: well researched historical settings with period-appropriate fantasy elements.

I would go more low magic fantasy. A setting like Game of Thrones or Battle Brothers or the David Gemmell books. I also love Epic Fantasy if done right like LotR or Greyhawk.

Something I would like to see is a world similar to the one in Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy (I you haven't read it, I recommend, no, I ORDER you to read it. Eh…). Far into the future, the earth is dying, society has degenerated, mostly medieval, but you can find elements ancient greatness, modern technology in diggings and in use. There are also a few aliens around.

I would really like to see something like that.

a pibbur who hopes he remembers (most of) the story correctly.

Something I would like to see is a world similar to the one in Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy (I you haven't read it, I recommend, no, I ORDER you to read it. Eh…).
I loved those books.
I don't remember there overtly being alien beings until the stand-alone sequel to the tetralogy, The Urth of the New Sun. But it's been decades since I've read them so I could be wrong. Really need to re-read them one day.

I would go more low magic fantasy. A setting like Game of Thrones or Battle Brothers or the David Gemmell books. I also love Epic Fantasy if done right like LotR or Greyhawk.

Yes, I like something quite like a historical setting, but with just the right amount of magic and monsters to spice it up a bit, and make exploration more interesting. I'd be quite happy with an RPG setting that forgoes magic users as player characters; that has magic in the world, but doesn't have people chucking fireballs around in the pub.

I loved those books.
I don't remember there overtly being alien beings until the stand-alone sequel to the tetralogy, The Urth of the New Sun. But it's been decades since I've read them so I could be wrong. Really need to re-read them one day.

Not overtly, but they were mentioned. AFAIRBTDSVM.

an incarnation of pibbur who claims to remember this, but (admits) that doesn't say very much.

Voted fantasy, but sci-fi is a close second. It doesn't really matter that much for me, as long as the world is believable and immersive.

Something I would like to see is a world similar to the one in Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy (I you haven't read it, I recommend, no, I ORDER you to read it. Eh…).

Eh, I read them, but they were a slog honestly. Maybe I am not smart enough, or too lazy of a reader, but I had a hard time figuring out what exactly was happening or what I was reading. They seemed deliberately obtuse. I read to relax, not to work, so they were not for me.

I would say that Lotr is also pretty low magic. Much less than David Gemmell books.

But I also prefer settings where magic is rare. It's troublesome for RPGs, however... Magie / magic users give so much tactical options.

Back
Top Bottom