What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

True, not phobia ... like the Morgan Freeman quote: "I Hate the Word Homophobia. It's not a Phobia. You're not Scared. You're an Asshole."

Had you said "the Wachowskis" ... not a problem. Please learn to show respect rather than bigotry.

Wow, that's really interpreting redglyph's comment as bad as you possibly can.

Transgender is confusing to most people and most people don't mean to offend when they use the wrong pronoun.

True, not phobia … like the Morgan Freeman quote: "I Hate the Word Homophobia. It's not a Phobia. You're not Scared. You're an Asshole."

Had you said "the Wachowskis" … not a problem. Please learn to show respect rather than bigotry.

Oh, you were serious? You should lower your daily dose of caffeine, it's not good for your health. :lol:

As for calling other people of assholes, well, shows your problem is probably more than just caffeine.

EDIT: and I see you're moderator on top of that? Well, you should probably take a few steps back before blindly accusing people, maybe this isn't for you.

Last edited:
Transgender is confusing to most people and most people don't mean to offend when they use the wrong pronoun.

The great thing is that you are absolutely correct - and you can see it in how they respond. Apologies and corrections are most commonly used things when people realize or are made aware that they have misgendered and/or deadnamed someone.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't know that they changed their gender and having experienced Redglyph for quite some time, I seriously doubt that he deliberately misgendered them, but that is for him to state, or not.

I do see that you went into an immediate attack mode, fully assuming that misgendering them was deliberate, hence the label you put on him. I assume you are aware that such an aggressive approach usually leads to people taking a defensive stand.
You could have also asked if he was aware that they changed their gender and are sisters now. That would have given him also the room to state he made an honest mistake or not. There would have been plenty of room to label him after that.

The great thing is that you are absolutely correct - and you can see it in how they respond. Apologies and corrections are most commonly used things when people realize they have misgendered and/or deadnamed someone. And when it is someone whose gender has been clear for a dozen years (and pretty much known for several before that), then the offending person should definitely feel extra shame in misgendering - and if they don't feel bad or make any correcting effort, that tells me that in fact that they don't care about misgendering.

Here is the thing - you had opportunities to correct your casual bigotry, to show that you are not a transphobe ... but you have specifically chosen to not only double down on your bigotry, but to also pretend that the person pointing out your hate is the problem.

Nope, sorry - you're the bigot. You're the problem.

As for me being a moderator, more than that I am a human - and because this forum is dominated by cis-het white men, there is plenty of casual misogyny, racism, homophobia, and transphobia. As a human, I try to help people be better when I see that stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes the person doubles down and shows that it was actually intentional - that they don't see their bigotry as a problem, because that is who they are. You had your chance, you chose to be a bigot.
The problem is how you go about it. You attack and belittle.

Anyway, this is off topic.

I'll make it crystal clear, but that's my last comment on this. I was aware one of them was female, not sure anymore about the other, that's why I quoted "brothers" because they weren't brothers from every point of view - only biologically, yet that's how they were always called.

It's a complex world, people have acquired many freedoms since last century, be that in religion, sexual orientation, and so on, that were taboos before. Which means everyone is more frequently in contact with those notions. I have very little personal problem with any of that in general and on average when compared to people I know. But I also think that calling a cat a cat is not a problem and "part of the deal", this freedom should include the freedom to talk about it naturally. So if there's a hint at their having changed, that's only fair IMO. It certainly doesn't imply whatever txa was trying to put on me.

If he has a problem with those notions, which seems to be the case, once again it's not my problem. He can send an apology by PM, but otherwise I won't even bother reading what he has to say any further on the topic, including his last post above.

Wrath of Man: Decent movie with Jason Statham as brilliant as always. It is well directed with the story unfolding by events told at different times. Good cast as well. Too much gangsters for me but it is part of the story, or the irony in the story:

Gangster stealing from armored trucks was ambushed by another gang and losing his son as a result!

Recommended with 6 to 7/10.

I have to agree on the general consensus about the latest Matrix film…what a load of rubbish. Purely just some kind of cash-grab. I ploughed my way through it to the very end,hoping that it would improve at some point. Unfortunately, it just seemed to get worse as it progressed. Very sad. As someone on here already noted, it's just not worth the effort of typing a detailed review… other than to say…. 2/10

Half in the Bag: The Matrix Resurrections

Seems RedLetterMedia found a lot more to enjoy than just the initial meta premise, which I also found interesting. But they also agree it's a pretty bad Matrix sequel, if that's what you would expect. They also bring up a very possible explanation as to what brought the movie on. The studio most likely forced them to make it, since apparently there was word they would do it even without any of the Wachowsky's involved. So it's likely that Lana wanted to fuck with them, which could explain the state it was delivered in. If she would not be involved it's most likely the sequel would've been a by-the-numbers sequel, and would have had none of the meta elements.

Anyway, that's one explanation, and I like it.

They also bring up a very possible explanation as to what brought the movie on. The studio most likely forced them to make it, since apparently there was word they would do it even without any of the Wachowsky's involved. So it's likely that Lana wanted to fuck with them, which could explain the state it was delivered in. If she would not be involved it's most likely the sequel would've been a by-the-numbers sequel, and would have had none of the meta elements.

If that's the case, the studio should have done it a long time ago instead of waiting 20 years. A large part of the movie-going demographic wasn't even born the last time there was a Matrix film.

The Curse of La Llorona (2019)
This should have been creepy as fuck, but was completely ineffective. Linda Cardnelli gave a solid performance, but virtually every one else in the movie looked like they didn't want to be there. Maybe the Tuco actor (Breaking Bad) would have been more convincing if he went apeshit on the ghost for spilling his meth or something. 2 out of 5 unconvincing ghost ladies that won't stop moaning.

I just found out there is another recent movie that uses the legend of "La Llorona":
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10767168/
It's a Guatemalan movie and seems to review much more favourably. Anyone seen it?

I watched Fatman last night.

The premise sounded cool. Spoiled rich kid hires a hitman to kill Santa Clause because he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas, but Santa happens to be Mel Gibson and he's sort of a baddass.

Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as cool as it sounded. It's basically an hour+ of buildup and then 15 minutes of so-so action. I knew I should have went with Copshop insead.

I watched the Sound of Metal, and man, that's a damn fine film. It nails everything: a great opening, a tragic event, and then an open resolution. I'd heard good things about this movie over the past few years, and every person that suggested this flick was spot-on. I'm not spoiling anything here, just when you have two hours, I recommend giving this one a viewing.

I think I heard Sound of Metal mentioned a couple of times. It's on my list for sure.

I was in the mood for a stupid movie, so I watched Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It was pretty insane and stupid, similar to the other Will Ferrel/John C. Reiley movies, like stepbrothers. But also braindead enough to enjoy without any serious commitment. I had fun with it, overall.

Don’t Look Up - really well done, good comedy and satire … but sadly parallels reality in the US way too much! I found it a bit long - never dragged, but felt it could have been 2 hours. Was written as allegory about climate change, but serves as commentary for the pandemic. The cast - from Leo and JLawrence to Rob Morgan and Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep and Jonah Hill and Tyler Perry and on and on … wonderfully put together.

I was in the mood for a stupid movie, so I watched Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It was pretty insane and stupid, similar to the other Will Ferrel/John C. Reiley movies, like stepbrothers. But also braindead enough to enjoy without any serious commitment. I had fun with it, overall.

I liked that one, but I tend to like most stuff with Will Ferrel. I thought the two boys playing his sons were great. That dinner table scene... :)

I tried watching Don't Look Up, yet couldn't get into it myself. It seemed like maybe it wanted to be similar to Strangelove, yet fell seriously short, imo. I gave up after thirty minutes and went back to watching Hannibal, the television version.

Back
Top Bottom