What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I finished viewing Prey last night, all in all I rather enjoyed it. The writing was a bit odd, as I thought it would have made much more sense for the Comanche to have formed a complete hunting party to take down their opponent, as they were want to do in those times. And I would have really liked to have seen more about the First Nation switch from agricultural to nomadic, I mean the time setting was perfect to show some of that, yet they did not. The trapper scene was completely false, laughable at best, and my only real criticism of the film.

I saw Top Gun: Maverick - great summer popcorn movie, and very refreshing compared to most of the crap Hollywood has been putting out for the last few years. No wonder it proved to be a worldwide blockbuster, it reminds people of when Hollywood used to make good summertime blockbuster type movies. A good, old fashioned, patriotic, pro-America movie (partly why it is so refreshing from Hollywood these days) with great action scenes involving Military Fighter Jets (often times filmed from in the cockpit).
Tom Cruise continues to impress (even at age 60!) as a true movie star.

I also saw Nope - the latest Jordan Peele movie. Groan. OMG, talk about a disappointment and an over-hyped lemon of a movie. (I really liked his film "Get Out", by the way, that was a good movie)

I was reading some reviews that felt the same way I did, and some of them were pretty funny, saying Jordan Peele is now the new M. Night Shyamalan, or that with this movie, he makes M. Night Shyamalan's worst movies look like a masterpiece, lol.

Anyway, "Nope" is not scary, and is not a horror movie, nor a thriller movie, but is boring, pretentious and mediocre with a very anti-climactic reveal/climax that makes the movie even worse than it should be, and this bad movie has nothing to do with Steven Spielberg's famous blockbuster summer time movies of yore in any way, shape or form. (despite the very misleading publicity campaign for this movie)

I feel obtuse for allowing you to keep trolling me like this. So no more. Watch it or not, your choice.
Trolling? You blantantly gave away the ending of the movie. All I did was suggest you use the spoiler tag. Pretending it's not a major spoiler just because you didn't name the characters is about as disingenuous as it gets.

I also saw Nope - the latest Jordan Peele movie. Groan. OMG, talk about a disappointment and an over-hyped lemon of a movie. (I really liked his film "Get Out", by the way, that was a good movie)

I was reading some reviews that felt the same way I did, and some of them were pretty funny, saying Jordan Peele is now the new M. Night Shyamalan, or that with this movie, he makes M. Night Shyamalan's worst movies look like a masterpiece, lol.

Anyway, "Nope" is not scary, and is not a horror movie, nor a thriller movie, but is boring, pretentious and mediocre with a very anti-climactic reveal/climax that makes the movie even worse than it should be, and this bad movie has nothing to do with Steven Spielberg's famous blockbuster summer time movies of yore in any way, shape or form. (despite the very misleading publicity campaign for this movie)
That's disappointing to hear, but thanks for the warning. I'm starting to wonder if Peele's earlier films were just flukes. Candyman, his last movie before Nope, was also mediocre.

That's disappointing to hear, but thanks for the warning. I'm starting to wonder if Peele's earlier films were just flukes. Candyman, his last movie before Nope, was also mediocre.
Yup, I heard that about Candyman from others too. (I didn't see Candyman)
I hope he makes a new movie soon that is actually good to prove this feeling wrong.
Like I said, I did like his movie Get Out. But it would suck if that movie ends up being a fluke.

Yeah, I feel the same about Peele. I thought Get Out was a nice piece of work. But the rest of what I've seen... yeesh.

I thought his Twilight Zone series was dire. I feel like he's trying to be too clever by half, and not focusing on what makes a tight, effective movie.

@JDR13, @Arkadia7, @Ripper
Peele was only co-writer (one of three) and co-producer of the most recent Candyman. If he actually directed it and/or was sole writer, I imagine it would have been less mediocre and more of a challenging love-it-or-hate-it affair.

I loved Get Out (though the alternate ending seems much more believable), but Us had issues resulting from a twist that needed some serious info dumping in the last act. It was perhaps a case of reach exceeding grasp - not having the writing chops required to deliver something that clever. It was a pretty effective movie up till that point, but needed more drip feed/build up to the reveal of WTF it was all about.

I'll definitely see Nope, but I'm getting the impression it has similar issues.

Saw Prey last night. It was pretty good, albeit marred in places by contrivances in the script that made my eyes roll. Although I never really believed in the main character, the action moved at a quick enough pace to keep me watching.

6.5? 7? /10

They'd make a movie of anything these days. :rolleyes:

Live-Action Pac-Man Movie in the Works from Wayfarer, Bandai Namco (Exclusive)

A live-action film is in development based on the classic arcade game with an endless appetite, PAC-MAN.

The project hails from Bandai Namco Entertainment — the company behind PAC-MAN, as well as games like Galaga and Tekken — and Wayfarer Studios, the production company founded by Justin Baldoni and Steve Sarowitz.

First introduced in the U.S. in 1980 — and originally called Puck Man in Japan — PAC-MAN became a coin-operated staple. The game is set in mazes where Pac-Man has to eat pellets while being pursued by colorful ghosts as the mazes get progressively more difficult.

The game begat merchandise, several sequel games like Ms. PAC-MAN, as well as two television series, including a Hanna–Barbera produced ABC series and a Disney XD take.

The project will be based on an original idea from Chuck Williams (Sonic the Hedgehog) of Lightbeam Entertainment. Baldoni, Manu Gargi and Andrew Calof will produce on behalf of Wayfarer Studios, with Tracy Ryerson developing; Williams and Tim Kwok will produce on behalf of Lightbeam.

Wayfarer, which recently announced a $125 million investment from Sarowtiz for expanded production growth, was behind Disney+ feature Clouds. Its upcoming slate includes football drama The Senior and the coming-of-age dramedy Empire Waist.

I honestly cannot think of a single person that would be inclined to watch this, and that's speaking as someone that quite enjoyed the original game when it first released in coin form. I mean, with all the shows/films these days, I'm simply not that starved for things to entertain me.

Twenty years later Gladiator 2 finally has a finished script and has started production.
Director Ridley Scott revealed in November last year that a script is complete and will be the British director's next production. He is also directing the Joaquin Phoenix-led Napoleon, which is currently filming and will premiere sometime next year. The Gladiator 2 screenplay was written by Peter Craig, whose stock has skyrocketed this year following the release of the box office smash The Batman, which he co-wrote with Planet of the Apes franchise director Matt Reeves.
The Napoleon movie sounds interesting as well.

Twenty years later Gladiator 2 finally has a finished script and has started production.

The Napoleon movie sounds interesting as well.
Wait, they're making a Gladiator 2? :love: First thing I hear about this, Gladiator is one of my favorite movies. I can keep re-watching that opening scene, absolutely glorious.

In my experience, sequels made this long after the original are almost always a disappointment.

Agreed. But I'd mention Mad Max: Fury Road as an exception. I really enjoyed that, and thought the way it did action was an example to be followed. Also impressive that a 70 year-old director was still at the top of his game.

Agreed. But I'd mention Mad Max: Fury Road as an exception. I really enjoyed that, and thought the way it did action was an example to be followed. Also impressive that a 70 year-old director was still at the top of his game.
Yeah, Fury Road was good. That and Blade Runner 2049 are the only films I can think of that came decades after the originals and were as good if not better (imo).

Back
Top Bottom