What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I watched the Northman after having seen The VVitch and Lighthouse, and I have to say I was kinda disappointed. It felt very regular and unremarkable, aside from a few fantastic elements which did indeed look good. His other two movies I found to be fantastic in comparison. Very intense. I didn't really feel much during Northman. Wasn't bored, I guess, but I wasn't intrigued either.

I watched Don't Worry Darling with my girlfriend. I thought it was good, but the message was completely lost on my girlfriend. I won't spoil it; all I'll say is she did not agree with the decisions of the protagonist.

I watched the Northman after having seen The VVitch and Lighthouse, and I have to say I was kinda disappointed. It felt very regular and unremarkable, aside from a few fantastic elements which did indeed look good. His other two movies I found to be fantastic in comparison. Very intense. I didn't really feel much during Northman. Wasn't bored, I guess, but I wasn't intrigued either.
I was bored, and stop watching halfway.

Frankenstein (1910)

I visited the Frankenstein museum in Bath recently and on the top floor they were showing the first ever Frankenstein movie from 1910. A 13 minute silent job that was practically a home movie. Frankenstein's monster didn't look like he does in most future adaptations:

frankenstein-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

The best bit is when he's coming out of the growing vat, not really book-true, but a fun watch nonetheless as Frankenstein pours some powder into a cauldron and after a puff of smoke the monster grows before our eyes in what can only be described as great special effects for the day:

2207fb448bebda7b070afe138f71437b4c2e4994_hq.jpg

That's not the only plot liberty as pretty much all of it has nothing to do with the book other than it having a Frankenstein's Monster made by a Dr. Frankenstein.

Fascinating museum, fascinating legacy. Fascinating too, this early bit of film reel. No rating, because, well, lol. You can watch it on youtube, in many guises, but nothing quite beats watching it on a bigger screen with a projector for getting into that 1910 mood.

I watched Dracula Untold last night. Nothing special, but I found it entertaining, and it's better than the review scores. Worth watching if you want to see a different take on Vlad.

I hadn't seen it in a couple of years, so I just randomly started watching Fellowship of the Ring in 4k. And god-damn, if it isn't night and day compared to Rings of Power. It still looks beautiful, although a couple of shots here and there haven't aged all that well. Especially pure CGI shots. And especially in 4k, you can really see it's CGI.

It's so nice and wholesome. It's really warm, like apple pie for the soul.

I heard a lot of good things about Barbarian and it did not disappoint. It's rare that I have no idea where a movie is going (when it is going somewhere), and that was the case for most of the run time.

I heard a lot of good things about Barbarian and it did not disappoint. It's rare that I have no idea where a movie is going (when it is going somewhere), and that was the case for most of the run time.
I keep hearing about Barbarian. I'll have to check it out.

I saw a movie that's been on my list for ages. Jacob's Ladder. It was pretty solid. It was very enticing throughout, but I felt the end was a bit too heavy handed in how obviously they explain the ending. I think it could've benefited from a more obfuscated ending.

I watched Barbarian last week, and while not perfect I did enjoy it. The mood set me up well for samhain.

Last night I finally got around to viewing the second Downton film, I found it much better than the first. The story this time was cohesive, and truly an end to an era once the film had concluded. I wonder if this is the final voyage of the show, I guess only time will reveal that.

Last night I finally got around to viewing the second Downton film, I found it much better than the first. The story this time was cohesive, and truly an end to an era once the film had concluded. I wonder if this is the final voyage of the show, I guess only time will reveal that.
I didn't even really like the first Downton film. I watched it right after I watched the series for the first time and it was a downgrade. I liked the second movie a lot more.

I saw a movie that's been on my list for ages. Jacob's Ladder. It was pretty solid. It was very enticing throughout, but I felt the end was a bit too heavy handed in how obviously they explain the ending. I think it could've benefited from a more obfuscated ending.
I rewatch movies a lot less often these days (and never rewatched them at the rate a lot of people do), but Jacob's Ladder is one movie I keep thinking to revisit. It must have been 30 or so years ago that I saw it, and I don't think I understood a lot of it at the time.

I remember seeing the original when it first came out - early 90s? I recall being a bit disappointed at the ending. I was hoping it would go to crazier places, but it was a bit, "Oh, is that it?"

I remember seeing the original when it first came out - early 90s? I recall being a bit disappointed at the ending. I was hoping it would go to crazier places, but it was a bit, "Oh, is that it?"
Yeah, that was also my reaction to the ending.

I saw another decent film. A Single Man starring Colin Firth. Pretty solid.

Back
Top Bottom