What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

I saw this for the first time over Christmas. I had seen all the positive and negative and general discussion reviews when it came out, but had forgotten most of them apart from the milking scene.

Overall, my only real issue was that I thought it lacked any stakes. At no point had the new series ever really laid the groundwork to tell the viewer what was at stake, what the new parameters of the conflict were, and, as such, I couldn't relate emotionally to anything that was happening, primarily with regards to characters.

We rewatched Force Awakens before this, so everything I say includes references to all the story from the beginning.

Firstly, the bad guys established their badness by rounding up a small village and butchering them. It's an inherently emotive scene, but other than generic emotiveness, it doesn't relate to any of the characters involved in the plot. AFAICT, none of our protagonists nor antagonists had any relation to anyone at the village beyond business.

Secondly, and similarly, when the new bad guys blew up the five planets with their new death star planet thing, we aren't made aware of any connection between any of our lead characters and those planets. Blowing up planets is generically emotive, but not specifically emotive. It's just business again.

Further to this second point, I don't understand why Coruscant was blown up. In the prequels it was established that Coruscant was the administrative centre of the known world, the place of bureaucratic governance. The old sith lords wanted control of Coruscant because this meant they ruled properly. The war was for control of government, not for the destruction of government.

So the new bad guys, at some point, must have decided that they could get power by blowing up Coruscant. But in a system-wide empire, you wouldn't win a war by just nuking New York City (the UN). Judging by the parliament scenes in the prequels, this UN structure houses thousands of faction's presidents. So is the new order, whatever they are, essentially decaling war on everyone?

And if they are declaring war on everyone, why are they so obsessed with chasing down just this one specific group of loyalist (?) dignitaries? Or is there tons more to the new order that we don't see, are we just watching one small unit of the new order chase down one small unit of loyalists? How big is the new order and how big is the restored republic at this point in time?

We last checked in on the timeline when the republic was restored and the Emperor and his empire fully defeated. We know approximately how much time as passed since then because returning characters have naturally aged a specific amount of time. So what's the republic been doing since then, and why are they still lagging behind the bad guys in planet-zapping technology & why is the new order able to thrive so close to Coruscant. Presumably with better funding than the republic too-boot.

The first film sets up some characters and a basic plot-line to justify the action. I was relatively content with how all that pans out, but, as I said at the time, the extent to which Force Awakens can be considered 'good' will depend entirely on how the following films tie into it. As an introduction it's an ok work.

But The Last Jedi didn't really go anywhere. The Last Jedi was just a continuation of the first film, but not a narrative continuation, just a continuation of the already established process of running away from the bad guys while trying to work out how to blow up their biggest zappy-weapon.

At the beginning of The Last Jedi, the good guys are running away and at the end they are running away, there is just fewer of them. Well, fewer extras, not really fewer protagonists, all of those have their expected plot-armour.

And I never really felt like anyone 'important' was going to die. We were just enjoying the spectacle of watching a gazillion extras get hosed down, which has entertainment value, just not emotional value. None of the good guys were even physically injured. Not even a new eyepatch or walking stick among them.

Obi-Wan died in ANH, Luke lost a hand in ESB, all the big bads die in RotJ, Qui-drunk-ill dies in tPM, and etc and etc, you get the idea, but no-one's dying at all in this new series, other than small bit-parters. Cameo heroes and villains of the week jobbies. For all the break-neck paced carnage and desperate subversions of expectations, there isn't any jeopardy at all.

And because there isn't any jeopardy, either from a world-setting perspective or a character-perspective, I simply couldn't get 'interested' in anyone's plight. I could sit there and eat popcorn and enjoy the ride for the ride's sake, but I honestly couldn't give too hoots about anyone on screen, let alone whatever struggles they were supposed to be having.

The original trilogy had awful settings jeopardy but excellent character jeopardy. The prequels had adequate settings jeopardy but awful character jeopardy. The Last Jedi (and now by default TFA) has neither settings nor character jeopardy.

After two very long films jam packed with content I am still pretty much clueless as to why I should care about any of them or their situation. What is the new order's objective beyond blowing up planets because that's the only thing that can get them hard any more, and what's the point of the republic if, after 50 years, it's still incapable of staying ahead in the big zappy-gun galactic arms race?

Will Fin ever run away? Will Poe ever get to deliver the winning pay load? Will Rey ever wear a robe with a hood? Will Kylo ever get something he wants for Christmas? Will Chewy be able to maintain ownership of the Millennium Falcon?

All this and more of the same level of mundanity hides behind the glorious visual orgasm.

Visually stimulating just as long as brain is in neutral 6/10.

I saw Glass Onion, and enjoyed it very much for what it was. I would say I enjoyed it around the same as the first Knives Out. Even though I don't really remember anything about that one. It was a fun movie. Liked Daniel Craig a lot, same as in the first one. I like his exaggerated southern accent. 7.5/10 I guess.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

I tried to watch that when it became available on video. Attempting to keep an open mind, I still couldn't get through it. It came off like some kind of adventure story my 10 year old self would write, going from one miraculous coincidental plot point to the next. Still no idea how it ends - and I don't particularly care either. Disney has truly worked its magic.

I watched Glass Onion a couple of days and also enjoyed it. Not quite as much as Knives Out, but it's fun. It inspired me to watch a movie directly based on Agatha Christie, so I have "Murder on the Orient Express (1974)" queued up, but it's been slow going getting into that so far.

Watched Violent Night the other night. I didn't tell my wife it wasn't a PG movie (I think she thought there might Home Alone-level stuff), but she still sat through all the head splatting etc in the last 30 minutes or so.
We liked it. Good, but not really good. Could have done with some tightening up maybe.

The Pale Blue Eye
MV5BZDg2YThlMTItYzhhMy00OWE3LTljYTAtYTExMDM5NzRjOGFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMTI1Mjk3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

This just got released today. Pretty solid, and liked the ending. But nothing remarkable.
The ending did a little more to elevate it from what I was initially going to say about it.
Looks pretty great. Solid acting. Good script. Just that the idea isn't as ambitious as I would've liked.
A 7.5/10

Since I've been hearing a lot of good things about Andor, I wanted to do a bit of preparing for it.
I had seen the prequel trilogy, and didn't really find anything too compelling. It was more-so popcorn cinema without much depth. But that's usually what you hear on the prequels.
On the original Star Wars trilogy, I never knew for certain if I had seen it, or just seen a lot of scenes and moments and just thought I'd seen it. Well, after having seen A New Hope, I'm pretty certain that I hadn't seen it.

And, well, I'm afraid I'm too positive on the Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope either.
It certainly felt better than most anything in the prequels, aside from the CGI and maybe what I remember of the actions scenes. But that is to be expected with older movies. So no surprise there.
But aside from the general plot, the world building and some charm from Harrison Ford, there's not too much to enjoy in my opinion.
I think the main issue is that there's just too much action, firefights and the lightsaber fight at the end. The action is absolutely boredom inducing, since it's so slow and repetitive. But the main issue is that it takes up way too much of the film. So in that regard it really hasn't aged well.

The overall plot is decent, but nothing remarkable.

Some of the costume designs have also really aged poorly. The stormtroopers still look good, but Vader's costume is absolutely ridiculous. Some of the aliens look kinda cool, others are hilariously bad.
The ship designs also still look good, for the most part. Also, I was never a fan of the two droids, R2D2 and 3CPO, neither the design nor the voices. And yup, they were absolutely irritating throughout the whole thing. I get they were going for something cute, but it was just grinding on me, constantly, every time they were on screen.

And I guess I also saw the Lucas edited version, which I hear overlayed various CGI renderings over the initial film. Those were certainly pulling me out, since they looked kinda bad.

Overall, if I were to try and be as fair as possible, and take into account the age of the film and not dwell too much on the elements that have obviously aged pretty poorly, I would say it sets up a decent world and a good premise to build onto it more interesting stories later on. A would give it a 6.5/10. I think the main issue is, as I said, way too much boring action and is also very slow. If the action would've been significantly reduced, and the pace of the film would be faster, plus spend more time world building, I think I would've given it an 8 at most.

Of course, it's still very hard to review something like this, so very late. But it's obvious the film didn't age all that well, as I guess was expected.
I'll have to see when I have the patience to see the next one.

I thought for a moment that it was about the Duchess of Sussex!! :)
Don't do it, Corwin. I can't hear any more about that shite. :biggrin:

Dwayne 'The Rock' Adam's Black Johnson is too short. Watched it with my son, curious to find out why it got poor reviews when the trailer looked good to us. Afterwards I asked him what he thought and he said "It's too short". I pointed out it was standard size for a Hollywood tent-pole, and considered long by some... :unsure:

I thought the performances were fine, and I wouldn't knock 'the Rock' for his acting, I think it's that he was the producer that screwed things up. I'm sure DC were overjoyed at getting him at a bargain price, but as a producer that gave him the power to make creative choices that were not good:
Who needs plot - people go to these movies for the throw-downs!
No need to develop those other guys, their names aren't in the title!
Hawkman's mace counters magic and would beat me senseless, you say? Not in my movie!
Only Superman would be a worthy adversary, there is no Captain Sparklefingers!
etc.

My son did think it was too short, but I don't think that would have made it any more impressive. It wasn't the length that was the problem, it was the girth.

I had heard about this movie from RedLetterMedia, but never got around to it.
Gerald's Game.

MV5BMzg0NGE0N2MtYTg1My00NTBkLWI5NjEtZTgyMDA0MTU4MmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU2NTcyMg@@._V1_.jpg

I have to say it was pretty great. Besides just being a solid thriller, it was also weird and could do with a lot of analysis.

And I just realized it's from the same director of the excellent Midnight Mass, mini-series.

I had heard about this movie from RedLetterMedia, but never got around to it.
Gerald's Game.

MV5BMzg0NGE0N2MtYTg1My00NTBkLWI5NjEtZTgyMDA0MTU4MmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU2NTcyMg@@._V1_.jpg

I have to say it was pretty great. Besides just being a solid thriller, it was also weird and could do with a lot of analysis.

And I just realized it's from the same director of the excellent Midnight Mass, mini-series.
Yeah, was pretty good. You may also like "The Night House" if you liked this one. Also weird and needs some analysis.

This looks creepier than it should.
Hey @Couchpotato , it's time for you to throw away all the <ahem> "companionship" dolls you've been buying for the last 20 years, and wait for the new (adult) models they're about to release. :p :p :p

Ha..Ha...Ha...Real funny do you see me laughing.🤬

Besides with my budget all I can afford is this. Only costs $16.75.:LOL:
BT-0166.jpg

SFW prank as well no bits are showed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom