What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Nah to skinny but hey nice try. Anyway women have the advantage with toys. :cool:

Just remember make sure it's lube not super glue.

BT-0166.jpg

Ah yes...the deluxe version even came (no pun intended) with it's own bicycle pump.

I actually found an old photo of Couchpotato when he was a kid. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it. ;)

FB-IMG-1672173432443.jpg
My Goodness, but you visit some strange websites mate...........:ROFLMAO::eek:

Last december, a Norwegian film was released on Netflix. "Troll". It's about a troll. The original rock dwelling entity, not the ones pestering the watch. (JOKE). Allegedly it's very popular on Netflix. I don't know, but I suspect that's mostly among Norwegian subscribers.

I didn't like it. The Troll is very well made. Gigantic, and very faithful to pictures of the species created by the late Norwegian artist Theodor Kittelsen. Normally that would be enough for me, as special effects is a major criterion for me enjoying a movie. I do for instance like the Jurassic * movies., Story isn't that great but as I use to say: A bus thrashing Tyrannosaurus in San Diego IS a bush thrashing Tyrannosaurus in San Diego. But in this case, this is not enough.

Now, in a movie like this, you have to accept some unrealistic aspects. But the story shouldn't be stupid. There are a lot of stupid things in this movie.

For some reason a paleontologist is hired as a science advisor. OK, they know a thing or two about 65 million year old Tyrannosaurus bones, but I don't think they know much of practical use about a very much alive and completely different species.

The thing is real. It looks like a troll. It behaves like a troll. It comes from a place (mountain) where trolls according to written sources are supoposed to spend their days. And it leaves huuge troll like (humanoid) footprints. But nobody is willing to say that it IS a troll, because that's an irrational belief in fairie tales.

Trolls are not made from biological tissues, but from rocks and dirt (and fir trees). So the paleontologist detects a strong smell of ... nature wherever the thing has been. "Hypernature" she calls it, and writes the term down in her little black book. Later, when she (ATM unknowingly) stands a couple of meters from the now sleeping giant, she again detects the smell, and quickly consults said book, and yes, there she finds in capital letters the word "HYPERNATURE".

Trolls don't like christianity and churches. So they come up with the idea of equipping helicopters with church bells which the thing very clearly are unhappy with. The helicopters circle around it, stupidly radius of said circle is smaller than the length of the arms (of the troll). Ouch!

Troll is headed to Oslo. The military is planning to use a new, terrible (but unspecified) weapon against it. In order to use that, they have to evacuate Oslo (several hundred thousands of citizens), which they manage to do in a couple of hours.

Then they realize that trolls are supposed to solidify when exposed to sunlight. To dark for sunlight ATM, but high yield UV lamps are available. So they lure the troll to Ekebergsletta and turn on the lights, which proves to work., However, after a while, the paleontologist realizes that they're about to kill the beast. So, she turns off the lights, walks up to it and advices it to, in stead of just stand there (being killed), go back to where it came from (trolls do understand Norwegian). Unfortunately right then the sun rises. Ouch!

pibbuR who still recommends the movie. To people who, no matter what, just want sto see a troll.

Last edited:
@pibbuR : Somehow this reminds me of the totally unrelated but great 2003 short film Rare Exports Inc. about hunting a Santa Clause.

Yeah, I find as I get more seasoned, I've a lot less tolerance for sheer stupidity, especially in art forms like books, films, etc. The younger me would have stayed till the bitter end, the current me has no problem walking away.

Don't get your hopes up ;)
In saying that, I thought The Visit and Split were genuinely good. And at least Old wasn't in the realms of bad that the four movie stretch of Lady in the Water to After Earth occupied.

Don't get your hopes up ;)
In saying that, I thought The Visit and Split were genuinely good. And at least Old wasn't in the realms of bad that the four movie stretch of Lady in the Water to After Earth occupied.
Split was excellent. It was his last good movie though, and that was 2016.

Knock at the Cabin looks like it might be interesting. At the very least, the cast is an interesting mix. Drax the Destroyer teaming up with Ron Weasley? What could go wrong?

Last night I got around to watching Banshees of Inisherin, and I was extremely impressed. I've never been a huge fan of Farrell's, yet I'd say he comported himself quite well in this offering. Gleason, on the other hand, I'm a huge fan of, so getting to watch him act is never a chore. It's a great slice of Irish coastal life, circa about a hundred years ago, shortly after the civil war. Possibly the best film I've seen since Nomad.

Nod, it truly spoke to me. While I grew up in inner Ireland (country Roscommon), I'd spent enough time on the shores to have some vivid memories. It's well written, with superb acting with contrasting beautiful and bleak scenery.

Back
Top Bottom