What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

So... Sisu... I wasn't exactly expecting realism, but it made a Marvel movie look plausible. I still enjoyed it to some degree, but it could have been much better if it wasn't completely ludicrous.

I was impressed by Eden Log, and would recommend it to anyone. Dog Soldiers is a good old romp, and I was watching it for at least the third time.

I watched Evil Dead Rise tonight. I wasn't impressed. Other than shock value, it doesn't have much going for it

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I seem to remember the original Evil Dead trilogy being much better. It's hard to believe Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were executive producers on Rise.

I watched Evil Dead Rise tonight. I wasn't impressed. Other than shock value, it doesn't have much going for it

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I seem to remember the original Evil Dead trilogy being much better. It's hard to believe Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were executive producers on Rise.
I was entertained enough by it, but yeah, it wasn't as good as the originals IMO. I'm pretty biased though - I watched pirated versions of the first two on VHS over and over as a young lad so it's I have a stubborn mental imprint of what "Evil Dead" is.

I guess the transplant to an apartment complex and the family dynamic didn't work that well for me (that poor little girl is going to need some therapy!). Something just felt off, maybe a bit... contrived?
The action and blood and guts was pretty well done, though the creature at the end was less Evil Dead and more a certain Carpenter movie. Or a certain Brian Yuzna movie.

So, entertaining enough, without being all that great. I don't regret watching it.

The action and blood and guts was pretty well done, though the creature at the end was less Evil Dead and more a certain Carpenter movie. Or a certain Brian Yuzna movie.
It had a few moments. I liked the scenes where the kid was playing those old records he found. Did you know one of those voices was Bruce Campbell?

Over the weekend we saw the new Spider-Verse. It was half better than the first, and half worse. It started good, got really bad for a while, then got really, really good, then a little bad again. This may not make any sense but it's my experience watching. if you liked the first one there's no reason not to see this one. If you haven't seen the first one, I'd give that a try before watching this one.

We also saw Boogieman. Pretty good horror movie. The short story scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Another one worth mentioning we saw recently was on Hulu (a TLC movie, I think). Really crazy one. I'll put it in spoilers.
A father dislikes how disrespectful his daughter is being so imprisoners her in the basement, the wife and siblings have no idea she is living below them, and the father has three kids with the daughter. Twenty years later one of the kids has asthma and the daughter convinces the father to let her bring the kid to the hospital and she manages to escape. This is the kicker - her high school boyfriend faithfully waited for her the whole time and was happy to pick up right where they left off, three incest children and all. TLC is a goldmine of absolutely crazy and worthwhile content. I don't know how I am just finding out about this.

So will it end on a cliffhanger for a third part? If so blah I hate that practice.:unsure:
No, Villeneuve only got funding for 2 part of Dune.
There's also a tv series in the works, at HBO, around the Bene Gesserit sisterhood, that Denis will handle the pilot. Last I heard.

More of a movie, since it was a limited series (only 5 episodes), but I finished White House Plumbers. It was decent and fun to watch.
The highlight were definitely Woody Harrelson and Justin Theroux. Without them it definitely wouldn't have been close to as good as it was.

Identikit (1974) with Elizabeth Taylor showing off her 40 year old knockers in a see through bra. The american title for this was The Driver's Seat ( taken from the source novel by Muriel Spark (Prime of Miss Jean Bodie) ) and refers to Liz (or Lise, her character) and her efforts to take control of her life. She constantly demands and denies attention in a show of female power. Every guy who get's her alone tries to fuck her, but she is on a quest to find The One who will Know her. The Euro title Identikit instead refers to the way we come to know her - from the accounts people give of their encounters with her. Since almost everything we see is colored by the witness' perspectives, we get a collage of a woman, made wholly from impressions. So is Lise's process of self definition successful... do we really Know her?

I'm planning either tonight or tomorrow night (more likely tonight as tomorrow is hockey!) to rewatch a film I've only watched once before, and that was almost fifty years ago: Cleopatra. I'm a huge fan of both major stars, not to mention some of the other cast, and I vividly recall enjoying it the last time, I'm curious to see what I'll think this go-around.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - just not very entertaining, the whole Marvel thing should have stopped at End Game.

And survey says......Cleopatra easily withstood the test of time. There are some long, drawn out scenes and strange pauses here and there, yet overall I completely enjoyed the rewatch and never once reached for a book.

I was on business travel for 3 days and watched 3 movies that I kept wanting to try, but more out of morbid curiosity. And they are the Creed movies.
I was never a big fan of the Rocky movies, though the first one is pretty decent. And the rest get progressively ridiculous. But they're still kind of fun to watch, at least once.
Interestingly the Creed movies are sort of similar. In that the first one is pretty decent, and the rest get progressively ridiculous.
The second one is hilarious since they rehash the Drago character (Dolph Lundgren's character, who he fights in Russia). But this time it's his son. This was sort of fun, to see Dolph Lundgren again.
And the third, one on the other hand, was just mostly a lot of melodrama. Where Creed ultimately fights a friend he had in childhood. Silverster Stallone wasn't even in it. And no plot explanation as to why he's missing. (I think I read they had some dispute, and Stallone lost the Rocky rights or something? That might be unrelated, but maybe not)

Anyway, a lot of cheap mindless action. Though, the fights were sort of decent. At least in the first and second ones.
I wouldn't really recommend them, unless you want to see something you can turn your brain off for a while.

What's interesting about the Creed movies, is that the main character is apparently one of the kid drug-dealer characters in The Wire (Wallace, in the Wire)

Indeed, while I quite enjoy most of the Rocky films, after the fourth one they take a serious turn for the worse, at least for me. Those first four, though, I can literally watch those anytime.

I wouldn't really recommend them, unless you want to see something you can turn your brain off for a while.
I couldn't disagree more. Boxing movies are always worth watching. All the Rockys, Creeds, the boxing movie with Christian Bail, the one with Damen Waynes, all of them. The Cinderella one is one of the best movies ever made. I never watch any sports event or game, but sports movies tend to be like pizza - even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Indeed, while I quite enjoy most of the Rocky films, after the fourth one they take a serious turn for the worse, at least for me. Those first four, though, I can literally watch those anytime.
I'd rank Rocky Balboa as the second-best behind the first.

Back
Top Bottom