What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

As for Terminator, i'm not sure people are falling for these feminist movement movies any longer. Many of them flop.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Sarah Connor is one of the most iconic female action heroes of all time, the other being Ellen Ripley. Would you cast a man in a woman's role?

But yes, I agree it most likely will be a below average movie from the trailer and what I have heard.

@bjon045;
I don't mind movies with women protagonists (3 of them here). But when i get the feeling its politics, then i avoid it. Usually such movies or series does not get good reviews (see e.g batwoman) from users.. Remanins to be seen. No need to discuss it further :p

Well if I remember wonder woman did fairly well - anyway best to judge the movie for the movie and not based on the sex of the lead....

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/wonder-woman

@bjon045;
I don't mind movies with women protagonists (3 of them here). But when i get the feeling its politics, then i avoid it. Usually such movies or series does not get good reviews (see e.g batwoman) from users.. Remanins to be seen. No need to discuss it further :p

Usually such movies or series does not get good reviews (see e.g batwoman) from users..

Sadly the reviews are in for Dark Fate and it seems you are correct.

I'm not quite sure what's exactly going on.

If it's suggested that movie with strong females onsceen suck, then research history and film-noir "standard" femme fatale roles. How many classic film noirs suck? I dare to say none.

If it's suggested movies with strong female leads suck, that's plain wrong. From top of my head, a couple of examples where strong female leads made the movie great are A Simple Favor and Confessions.

If it's about politics and women, that second example is political and points to a problematc law (aka RL cases where underaged murderers never answered). The same goes for the third example I have to add: Frozen River, which is de facto about a woman fighting against gambling by breaking the law and nother woman helping her. Extremely political as it questions why the law doesn't care about gambling addiction while immigrants are stigmatized and unwanted for no reason except phobia, yet is a masterpiece obviously underrated by pathetic imdb users.

What I'm trying to say is that certain movies don't suck just because of course they do. Movies suck because you're chasing mainstream. Step out from it. Mainstream scripts are ignorant, dumb and shallow, from such material rarely anyone can make a movie that works. Don't excuse it by saying the cinema near you is running only freshly released mainstream movies and VHS/DVD rentals are gone, we've entered streaming anything you want decade.

Last edited:
If it's suggested movies with strong female leads suck, that's plain wrong.

No one ever suggested that. There's a big difference of doing such movie with a very on-the-nose political motive or doing it because you have a great idea, a good cast that makes sense or seems interesting etc.

I'm obviously also all for true feminism, which is actually about equality and not about hating men (if someone remember), or claiming that one gender is better than the other.

[removed P&R line]

Last edited by a moderator:
From a recent interview with Cameron..

"I never went to the set. I’ve yet to physically meet the new cast. But I was very involved in the writing and I was very involved in the cutting of the film."

To me that sounds like a man not 100% happy with the outcome, trying to downplay his involvement a bit, "i wasn't even there".

Once upon a time in Hollywood sure was a short film… said noone.

Starting tomorrow, Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to be re-released with 10 minutes of new footage! Wooohooo, more meandering, self-indulgent directing o_o

Let me start off with I have been a huge fan of Quentin, still mad my sister got to hang out with him for an evening a few years back.

I walked out of this movie...some of his movies i have seen over 20 times..i walked out....i will buy it when it comes out and re-watch.

Not sure if I was in a bad mood or ...it seemed to bore the hell out of me...and Jackie Brown is my fav. of all his movies.

The Kitchen 9.2-10

Well, I am not a big fan of all this forced woked characters we have been getting when you can watch a movie like this.

Man these woman kick some very good ass. It is gritty as all get out, the story flows leaving you wanting to know more…

First thing i did when we were finished watching was to see what other movies the director had done…She been part of..

Sleepless (screenplay by)
2016Blood Father (screenplay by)
2015Straight Outta Compton (screenplay) / (story)

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked out of this movie…some of his movies i have seen over 20 times..i walked out….i will buy it when it comes out and re-watch.

Not sure if I was in a bad mood or …it seemed to bore the hell out of me…and Jackie Brown is my fav. of all his movies.

Nah, it's pretty damn boring for the majority of it. I really liked the last 20-30 minutes, but I had to sit through 2-1/2 hours of "wtf?" to get to it.

Nah, it's pretty damn boring for the majority of it. I really liked the last 20-30 minutes, but I had to sit through 2-1/2 hours of "wtf?" to get to it.

I found it my much laid back and meandering than his other movies, but in no way was I bored. I was also pretty tired when watching it, and I really liked the slow speed of it. There were also a few more tight and tense moments, aside from the great ending, but it was indeed less focused. But indeed, it wasn't my favorite of his movies.

I found it my much laid back and meandering than his other movies, but in no way was I bored. I was also pretty tired when watching it, and I really liked the slow speed of it. There were also a few more tight and tense moments, aside from the great ending, but it was indeed less focused. But indeed, it wasn't my favorite of his movies.

It also had a similar effect on me i.e. feeling a bit tired in a few parts but overall I loved the movie. How it captured the 60's/Hollywood - the people, the music, the locations. The story of all the characters and the dialog was top notch Tarantino. I happen to also of done quite of bit of reading and watched several documentaries of manson and his cult and so it was a subject I was particularly interested in as well. While I still enjoy more traditional popcorn movies I love it when a movie is a bit different. There were a lot of slow segments but I felt all the scenes were important parts of the overall tapestry. I find it hard to rank Taratino movies but I also probably wouldn't put it at no1. I plan to rewatch it but I will give it 4-5 years.

Let me start off with I have been a huge fan of Quentin, still mad my sister got to hang out with him for an evening a few years back.
I don't know if he is still like this but back when he was doing the festival circuit he was always very available. He is just just such a huge fan of movies that he would talk to anyone with the same enthusiasm.

Well if I remember wonder woman did fairly well

Well, Wonder Woman was an average superhero flick, where the lead hero has nice boobs and great legs - but that's it.

You could easily replace Gal Gadot with, say, Chris Evans, and you'll get the same movie (replace boobs with firm ass).
It could be titled Wonder Whoever, the totally unisex hero movie.

Kind of a sexist review; i mean with that approach you could define all movies in similar terms....

Mind you i personally didn't care for wonder woman but it seemed to have been well received....

Well, Wonder Woman was an average superhero flick, where the lead hero has nice boobs and great legs - but that's it.

You could easily replace Gal Gadot with, say, Chris Evans, and you'll get the same movie (replace boobs with firm ass).

Kind of a sexist review; i mean with that approach you could define all movies in similar terms….

That's the point.
The so called "feminist" superhero flick is one of the most sexist of them all.
Hypocrisy at its best - and the sad thing is that most of the moviegoers never even noticed it.

Watchmen's Miss Jupiter quietly sheds a tear.

Back
Top Bottom