What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I absolutely loved the guttural singing of the Sardukar, probably heavily inspired by mongolian throat singing. That idea was fantastic of them, to make use of that kind of singing.

The Sardaukar training grounds was one of my favorite scenes. I just wish it had been longer. Partial clip...

The Sardaukar training grounds was one of my favorite scenes. I just wish it had been longer. Partial clip…

Exactly, it's these sort of cool touches that really give flavour to the world/setting. This sort of scene, sprinkled throughout, is really memorable. I also loved the Sardaukar speak right at the very start of the movie, saying something along the lines of "Dreams are messages from the deep".

The rave-version of the Sardaukar training grounds is hilarious. I guess that's become quite a popular meme on the internet.

The point being, the sandworms aren't really the main focus of interest here. They're a silly fun weak spot at best.
You didn't read the books, I suppose. Without sandworms there would be no navigators, no space folding, no Fremen, nor a load of other things, as there would be no spice.
Without sandworms, it would not be Dune.

You didn't read the books, I suppose. Without sandworms there would be no navigators, no space folding, no Fremen, nor a load of other things, as there would be no spice.
Without sandworms, it would not be Dune.

Yes, that has been established (not by the film though). That also has nothing to do with what I was saying either.

That one seems heavy on romance so I am skipping. ;)
Thanks for the link though, it might be useful if it happens I need it for, well, certain occassions... :)

About Dune, I will probably wait for the second part then watch them both.

Schindler's list. Probably doesn't need an introduction since it's a classic. If you haven't seen it and want to watch a really sad movie, this is the one. I had forgotten how horrible the movie was. Still, one of the greatest ever movies made. I especially love the theme and how Itzhak Perlman plays/expresses it. Have a hard time not to cry while it's playing toward the end of the movie.

I tried watching the newest Dune flick over the weekend, just not for me. I prefer the books by far over this new iteration or, should I ever want to watch it again on the telly, I'll go for the Lynch version.

I tried watching the newest Dune flick over the weekend, just not for me. I prefer the books by far over this new iteration or, should I ever want to watch it again on the telly, I'll go for the Lynch version.
I watched it (on my indoor bike) a couple of days ago. I must (or rather I want to - after all no one is forcing me) say that I liked it. It's close to the books (as far as I remember the book. it's around 40 years since I read it). I liked the presentation and the mood of the film, and that it was a bit slow (don't like fast moving action movies anymore).

Can't compare it to the Lynch movie ATM, (more than 20 years since I saw that one). Maybe I should watch that movie again.

a pibbur who would like to use the voice now and then, against the the wifen (if she lets me). Of course also against watchers who didn't like the movie (and other things he likes)

I haven't seen Dune yet but I have read the first 3 books before and I just read them again to prep for the movie. I watched the lynch Dune again as well and while elements of it impressed me, I liked the cast and the thought sequences, I found most of it hasn't aged well. Just too many important characters only had brief cameos i.e. Liet Kynes and far too much important content was missing i.e. most of the skirmishes with House Harkonen, most of the sietchs, the hydroponic garden under their house on Arrakeen, the feast etc. I'm hoping at least some of these scenes make it into the new version. I'm also hoping they skip some of the wierd additions Lynch made like the Harkonen heart plugs and the voice weapon stuff - the wierdling way is a hand to hand/melee combat style from what I understand.

Well, the new Bond film bored me rigid. The pre-credit sequence went on for 25 minutes, when it should have been five, and the whole bloody film felt like that.

Well, the new Bond film bored me rigid. The pre-credit sequence went on for 25 minutes, when it should have been five, and the whole bloody film felt like that.

It felt just so very, very tired didn't it.

Uggghhh that Bond film....not my Bond, I can tell you that much. Honestly the only one I've enjoyed recently was the first film that Craig did in the series, the others, not so much. At least I did have a book handy to save me!

I watched a movie called In the Shadow of the Moon tonight. It's a Netflix exclusive that was released in 2019.

It's a cop drama with an interesting twist. A detective witnesses the death of a serial killer in 1988 only to see the same person reappear in 1997 and again every 9 years afterwards.

I won't say more than that because it's another one of those films that's hard to describe without dropping spoilers. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a mystery with some unexpected turns. I enjoyed it well enough, but I wouldn't call it a must-see.

I also saw No Time To Die, and found it pretty decent and average. It was entertaining enough, for a Bond movie. Also looked pretty decent. I didn't have the same negative reaction that people here seem to have.

My only issue is with the ending, which is kind of contrived in order to do what they did.
By their own rules Bond could've lived on with his family, as long as he never came into direct physical contact with another living person, to keep the nanobots on his own skin. That's the only way they spread, right? Or was that fate really that unbearable and better that he die and his family lose him than not touch him anymore? It kind of puts into perspective how goofy the idea is with the nanobots is. :D

Also, while I liked and didn't have any issues with how Rami Malek portrayed his character, his motivations were kinda stupid. I mean, really just the same as most Bond villans.

Also, there's absolutely no tension in these movies. Never has been, since they're so formulaic.

But if you keep these things in mind, I felt it was ok overall. Just consumable content that doesn't really get you thinking. But it does make you feel like you're just wasting time.

I watched a documentary on William T. Sherman, mostly focused on his exploits in the western theatre of the Civil War, and then his subsequent visit to Atlanta and his march to the sea. It was really good, honestly it seemed it could have easily gone on for another hour or two, they had so much material to cover.

My only issue is with the ending, which is kind of contrived in order to do what they did.
By their own rules Bond could've lived on with his family, as long as he never came into direct physical contact with another living person, to keep the nanobots on his own skin. That's the only way they spread, right? Or was that fate really that unbearable and better that he die and his family lose him than not touch him anymore? It kind of puts into perspective how goofy the idea is with the nanobots is. :D

Was this your first Bond movie? ;)

To me, almost every Bond flick has had an element of goofiness. It's part of what makes the series what it is.

Back
Top Bottom