What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Sure does!
Will stick it on my "to see" list.

Re: X's after credits scene - from what I can work out it was a Pearl teaser shown at some screenings. I did a quick search to find it, but looks like it got taken down from Youtube, etc.

So, I watched Hatching tonight. It's not great, but it's not bad either. It reminded me of Lamb in some ways. It has a similar fairy tale vibe, but it's gorier.

Re: X's after credits scene - from what I can work out it was a Pearl teaser shown at some screenings. I did a quick search to find it, but looks like it got taken down from Youtube, etc.

I went back and checked, but my copy doesn't have it. Guess we'll have to wait until it pops up somewhere.

Gold

A psychological thriller filmed in the Australian Outback. It stars Zac Efron and some Australian dude as two guys that stumble upon… yep, gold! Very skippable imo.

Last edited:
Uncharted - worse than a b movie, did not even had the patience to reach the end.

I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time today, and I gotta say it was a very powerful experience, and it had my attention the whole way through. Might watch some similar films like Hacksaw Ridge some time in the next week.

Uncharted - worse than a b movie, did not even had the patience to reach the end.
I agree but video game adaptions almost always flop or just break even though. I'm going to watch the latest Top Gun movie this week. Hopefully it's as good as advertised.

I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time today, and I gotta say it was a very powerful experience, and it had my attention the whole way through. Might watch some similar films like Hacksaw Ridge some time in the next week.

Jeez, what took you so long?! Watch Das Boot if you're still in the WWII mood (and haven't already done so).

Das Boot is on my watchlist (I have the 293 minute version on DVD, but have yet to watch it), so that'll be seen eventually. The reason I hadn't seen SPR before was due to just a lot of other films taking up my time, and I wasn't in the mood for war films for quite a while. But I'm glad I did say it, very much worth it.

Jeez, what took you so long?! Watch Das Boot if you're still in the WWII mood (and haven't already done so).

The one from 1981 starring Jürgen Prochnow?

Yep, wasn't aware there was another? I haven't watched it in 10+ years, but that final shot still haunts me. War is futile.

Yep, wasn't aware there was another? I haven't watched it in 10+ years, but that final shot still haunts me. War is futile.

There was a TV series that came out a couple of years ago.

I echo the recommendation of Das Boot the original. I would also add the following recent WW1/2 movies: Hacksaw Ridge, 1917, Dunkirk, Greyhound and The Darkest Hour.

If you are also interest in modern conflicts then I would go for the following semi recent movies: Zero Dark Thirty, Hurt Locker and American Sniper. Some are based on real events, others are dramatic but with a sense of realism (although not tactically speaking).

For the Vietnam war there is the australian movie Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan. The Last Full Measure has some scenes from the Vietnam war but is mostly set after the war but is a good movie regardless.

Note: there has been a bunch of crap war movies in the last 4-5 years which I would highly recommend avoiding i.e. Midway,

If you are interested in TV series then as the other poster said Band of Brothers and The Pacific are must watch.

Last edited:
+1 for Hacksaw Ridge and Dunkirk. I thought both were very good. I haven't seen 1917 or The Darkest Hour yet.

1917 was exceptionally good. The cinematography is a masterclass with impressive extended cuts. The final sequence actually brought a tear to my eye which is very rare indeed :) It does take a few liberties in regards to realism but I think it is a better movie for it.

I agree but video game adaptions almost always flop or just break even though. I'm going to watch the latest Top Gun movie this week. Hopefully it's as good as advertised.

I haven't heard anything bad yet.

Back
Top Bottom