What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Oh man, I made the seriously poor decision last night to watch Thor: Love and Thunder....two hours of my life lost that I'll never get back. What a serious drop in quality from the previous films. -xxx

Two more movies announced this week.

Another Constantine, that'd be something. I don't know about the comics but it was an intriguing character in the movie.

Another Constantine, that'd be something. I don't know about the comics but it was an intriguing character in the movie.
I feel Keanu's Constantine was the best yet over all, and you know how critical I can be of comic adaptations...

I feel Keanu's Constantine was the best yet over all, and you know how critical I can be of comic adaptations...
Indeed :D I really liked that movie, the role seemed to fit Keanu's style very well. It's surprising that there were no sequel earlier.

Do you know if it was inspired by one of the books or only inspired by the setting?
And do you think that an older Keanu Reeves would still be a plausible Constantine? I don't suppose he aged in the comics, though it shouldn't be a big problem on the screen after seeing Tom Cruise acting in Maverick.

Keanu seems to be aging well, so I don't think that'll be an issue. Besides, they can literally de-age people nowdays. :)

Looking forward to it. I've always liked the first movie.

Indeed :D I really liked that movie, the role seemed to fit Keanu's style very well. It's surprising that there were no sequel earlier.

Do you know if it was inspired by one of the books or only inspired by the setting?
And do you think that an older Keanu Reeves would still be a plausible Constantine? I don't suppose he aged in the comics, though it shouldn't be a big problem on the screen after seeing Tom Cruise acting in Maverick.
Yes, the story for the movie was taken from Hellblazer. Constantine isn't immortal, and he has that jaded noir hero vibe so an older actor shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I plan on trying to watch the Yankovic story this weekend. I've been a huge fan of his for over forty years, and Dr. Demento even longer.

Ughh, I tried watching the new Munsters movie last night.....holy crap, it was bad. Well at least the first thirty minutes were terrible, went back to my book after that. I was really expecting much better.

The other day I mentioned Aliens, and it made me watch it again. I decided to try the Special Edition, which I haven't seen for many years. I was struck by how much I felt it weakened the theatrical cut.

There's nothing wrong with any of the added material, taken in isolation. But I think it has two deleterious effects - it slows down what I think was near-perfect pacing and structure, and it introduces us to what's happened at the Hadley's Hope colony before the marines arrive and explore the dark. I think these weaken the film quite considerably, and it's a bit of a shame that this is probably the version most people will see.

Deadpool 3 is releasing in in 2024 and Hugh Jackman will return as Wolverine.

Last edited:
I saw it awhile ago in theatres, but the best movie I've seen since 300 is Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. It truly is an emotional rollercoaster ride. I laughed loud and cried louder. I tried so hard not to cry like a baby, but I couldn't help it. It started off horrible, but when it gets going it really gets going. Fantastic message and themes about the perseverance and triumph of love and family.

I saw the new Hellraiser movie and was greatly disappointed. I saw it had some positive reviews so I went in hopeful. I am a big fan of the original and I thought part 2 was "okay" but then they became almost unwatchable.

The original Hellraiser was great in because of the characters and the fact that the box/pinhead wasn't actually the star of the show. I loved how the character of Julia evolved through the movie. She started off killing to try to bring her lover Frank back and then she starts to enjoy the killing.

The new one is highly predictable and lacks any creativity at all. I thought there was minimal gore despite all the reviews saying otherwise. What it was missing though was an actual point or a single interesting character. I'd give it a 5 if I was feeling generous but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing else to watch.

The new one is highly predictable and lacks any creativity at all. I thought there was minimal gore despite all the reviews saying otherwise. What it was missing though was an actual point or a single interesting character. I'd give it a 5 if I was feeling generous but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing else to watch.
Sucks to hear that. I also really liked the original film and was definitely interested in checking out the new one. I'll go in with much lower expectations now.

There's been about 10 Hellraisers already, so I'm guessing this is the 11th?

If you want a funny catch-up of them all, The Cinema Snob went through them all in full snob mode:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xpDWZ9qZz4&list=PLuI7ruqihRHyax06PNoUovMCec1YQ7U75

Which makes for a few hours of very entertaining chunks of 20 min catch-ups.

Oh, I only meant to post the link, but it showed a full vid, well that's just the first of about 10, the link is to a playlist.

I finally got around to watching the Northman, and this might be my film of the year. I was really impressed, even with them using old archaic language which only lends to the authenticity of the production, and I'd no idea that the cast was so star studded. Great experience and a film I know I'll be re-watching again.

Back
Top Bottom