Why play early access (EA)?

Exactly the same for me and I've continued by buying the M&B2 EA. I've put about 800 hours into it and have now put it aside pending final release. That's it though, I don't have any others.
I got it when it first came out and it wasn't good enough at the time. Has it changed much?

It's much better but still missing some end game elements. The early game is pretty good though and that's what I like, trying out all the options.

I don't really have any backlogs.

Any games that fails to grab my interest in first few hours, I cross them off my list. Also, I'm very picky with games, I hardly purchase any of them to begin with.

I wish I was like that. Not about crossing off games that don't grab my interest right away, that's easy. I just wish I was more picky. It's hard when you're a fan of multiple genres. There will never be a day when I don't have a significant backlog.

On the flip side, I'll never lack for games I want to play.

I wish I was like that. Not about crossing off games that don't grab my interest right away, that's easy. I just wish I was more picky. It's hard when you're a fan of multiple genres. There will never be a day when I don't have a significant backlog.

On the flip side, I'll never lack for games I want to play.

Sounds like prioritisation is the way to go then ;)

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for 12 years which has been in "EA" for decades, even if, officially, it's not a real Steam EA (but soon will be, yes!).
I totally get playing this kind of game (DF, Rimworld, M&B etc..) even when they are not finished as they generally offer enough to sink hundreds of hours. at early stages.

I was wondering about those games built around a predetermined story though, like BG3. Now with all those posts I get it, help a cherished developer with money or feedback.

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for 12 years which has been in "EA" for decades, even if, officially, it's not a real Steam EA (but soon will be, yes!).
I totally get playing this kind of game (DF, Rimworld, M&B etc..) even when they are not finished as they generally offer enough to sink hundreds of hours. at early stages.

I was wondering about those games built around a predetermined story though, like BG3. Now with all those posts I get it, help a cherished developer with money or feedback.

It's possible to spend a lot of time in BG3 already. Even right after its EA release, it had a lot and it didn't seem unfinished. Just fewer classes and a few missing features. I had to launch it outside of Galaxy then, so I don't now how many hours it took, but easily 40-50 without finishing the content or replaying to check all classes, races and C&C.

That's a good point you're bringing up: the story is predetermined but it has branches, so thanks to that and other incentives to replay (classes, alignment, ...), going through a game in EA doesn't necessarily ruin it, it allows to explore one part and discover another one when it's released.

Unless you're sinking a lot of time in gaming and are ready to replay it fully after release, of course, but it's not everyone's case - not the people with a backlog for instance. ;)

I rarely buy games in early access, but with the purchase of Darkest Dungeon, for example, I was not disappointed. But not enough to buy two (maybe if it were available somewhere besides Epic, where I only have an account for free games).

Back
Top Bottom