Wildermyth - Review @ Niche Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Niche Gamer checked out Wildermyth:

Wildermyth Review

Procedurally generated games tend to get a bad rap. A lot of amateur developers tend to lean on it to extend replay value, and hope each player having a unique experience makes up for not developing the whole experience from start to end.

The bad apples spoil the bunch, and when the effort is put in, it can show how it can be done right. Enter Wildermyth, one of the first games I previewed here on Niche Gamer two years ago. 1.0 finally launched June 15th, but we shall be judging the final game (as an aside, there have been many changes for the better in terms if gameplay).

Is this procedurally generated tactical RPG a never-ending story filled with excitement and drama? Or is it something you'd struggle to give away on free book day?

[...]

Wildermyth is a very good tactical RPG that pulls you in, and uses randomization to enhance, not compensate. Most flaws come down to personal taste, and being easy on the wallet for what scratches the tactical RPG itch so good means it is certainly worth the recommendation to anyone who loves the genre.

Wildermyth was reviewed on Windows PC using a review code provided by WhisperGames. You can find additional information about Niche Gamer's review/ethics policy here.

The Verdict: 8.5/10

The Good

• Solid tactical RPG combat where you try to overcome the odds
  • Random events and character development keep things interesting
  • Great value for money compared to replay value
  • Overworld time management can have different difficulty to combat
The Bad

• Art style may be divisive for some, especially character faces
  • Lack of control in some elements of character development can be annoying
More information.

I'm having a pretty good time with it so far. The first "campaign" went very smoothly. I got cocky during the second one and got stomped pretty badly. I think I might go back to the beginning once more.

That's actually my biggest gripe with the game so far. There's a lot of "learn as you go", or at least I haven't found much definition beyond the tool tips. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean you can be marching along with a strategy only to discover a while into things that it's a really bad one.

Still a solid "go buy it" from me, though.

I love the game. I'm in a tricky spot at the end of campaign 2, though. I upped the difficulty because I found campaign #1 easy. And it went fine for the most part, but when you get to the 5th of 5 chapters your leveled up folks are retired, the enemies have gotten a billion upgrades, and you're facing them mostly with newbs. It's....tough. I just got whooped trying to fight off an incursion, and there's already another incursion less than 50 days away. I hope I can figure out a way to get through to the end of chapter 5 cause I don't want to do it over.

Back
Top Bottom