Windows 11

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
As you probably heard, not all "gaming" rigs will make it.
My motherboard does not have TPM chip.
Means, sorry, no bonus.

Now I have to decide will I buy a new rig just for win11 or screwitt and continue plodding on win10.

Apart from that, if you are already using win10, the upgrade to win11 will be - free.

Is there any interest at all to change, except once Windows 10 is not supported? Which is not soon, 2025-ish, will probably be postponed several times as usual. Anyway you'll probably have a new system by the time Win11 is stable enough, no?

That is true but I work as IT support and want to experiment and break stuff on my own PC before it goes live in the firm. ;)

TBH, I think the idea of declaring Windows 11 is largely a marketing exercise. Windows 10 was designed to be a rolling release. 11, 12, whatever.

It's going to be a free upgrade from Win 10 at the end of the year. No word on how long they're going to do that.

I'll wait and see what people say. It's going to have Android app compatibility which I think is interesting, and Xbox Game Pass is built in.

To sum it up they took parts of Win 10 and merged it with Mac OS basically. Not something I would enjoy using but we will all be forced to upgrade at one point.

According to history, every second version of Windows is complete and utter shit.

Now that would be hilarious: Windows Utter Shit: Complete Edition :biggrin:

As you probably heard, not all "gaming" rigs will make it.
My motherboard does not have TPM chip.
Means, sorry, no bonus.
You don't need a TPM chip, for all modern Intel CPUs you can turn on PTT in your BIOS, and all modern AMD chips you turn on fTPM. Your CPU would have to be truly ancient (>6-7 years old) to not have it.

TBH, I think the idea of declaring Windows 11 is largely a marketing exercise. Windows 10 was designed to be a rolling release. 11, 12, whatever.
Probably is mostly marketing, but could also be that they wanted a convenient excuse to leave old systems behind. The requirement for TPM, UEFI, and a DX12-compatible GPU gets rid of a lot of really old computers that they now no longer will have to care about or support. Telling a bunch of people that their ancient hardware is no longer allowed to run Windows might not go over so well as part of a Windows 10 bi-annual update.

Last edited:
Well, Windows 7 was great, Windows 10 is mostly garbage, would that mean Windows 11 is actually good? ;)

The only interesting feature for me in Windows 10 is the Windows System for Linux (WSL), but even that is heavy and limited, Cygwin is more practical (or a VMware). Windows 11's Android support seems to be the same kind of layer with CPU emulation.

It's more than marketing, this Bridge technology extends their reach quite a lot. Perhaps a response to macOS?

I think Windows 10 gets a worse rap than it deserves. I've never had any major issues with it, and game compatibility, even with older titles, has been just as good as Windows 7 in my experience.

The only Windows I ever really disliked was Windows 8. That was an abomination.

I agree, win 10 has no serious issues and is quite customisable too unlike 8.

I also think win 11 is just a number to ensure they can move support off of older devices.

As someone else said, it's probably just going to be the same base code and a rolling upgrade.

I hate 10 as much as I loved the improvements in 7. What I dislike is mostly the bloatware, ads and all the privacy concerns, and regressions on the UI ergonomics. I want the OS to be just that, an operating system, not an ad or a spying platform.

Simple example, recently on each update, MS forces the "News and interests" large band in the taskbar, and in a foreign language on top of that. It doesn't seem possible to remove it, only to hide it every time it reappears. And I'm pretty sure they'll go one step further in Win11.

Don't even get me started on forced updates or the messy app installation, doing IT support on that was a nightmare in my company (we're switching to Linux now, it was the final nail in the coffin).

At home I'm probably switching to Linux on the next forced iteration of Windows, even more so because of the hardware-locked enforcement they're pushing further (TPM chip). It's become a good alternative despite its fragmentation on the UI front. Unfortunately there too, we have to cope up with Canonical's increasing presence, but there are other well-supported distros. It means bye-bye to most of gaming though.

It's always been a delicate balance for any platform, between being successful enough and not getting ruined by this success. Always the same pattern, repeating over and over.

Rant's over ;)

Simple example, recently on each update, MS forces the "News and interests" large band in the taskbar, and in a foreign language on top of that. It doesn't seem possible to remove it, only to hide it every time it reappears. And I'm pretty sure they'll go one step further in Win11.
Removing that is easy, took me about 10 seconds once it first appeared (a few weeks ago?) Has never re-appeared since. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how, I don't remember…

edit: found it again… Right-click on your taskbar, find the "News and interests" line in the menu, expand it out, hit the "Turn off" line. Has stayed off just fine for me on every computer I use.

Removing that is easy, took me about 10 seconds once it first appeared (a few weeks ago?) Has never re-appeared since. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how, I don't remember…

edit: found it again… Right-click on your taskbar, find the "News and interests" line in the menu, expand it out, hit the "Turn off" line. Has stayed off just fine for me on every computer I use.
Thanks! But that's the way I did, they make it reappear on each update. I'll probably go medieval on this feature if they do it again ;)

You don't need a TPM chip, for all modern Intel CPUs you can turn on PTT in your BIOS, and all modern AMD chips you turn on fTPM. Your CPU would have to be truly ancient (>6-7 years old) to not have it.
You're too optimistic.
If you check supported CPUs list, it seems all CPUs older released before 2018. are doomed to stay on win10.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

I've seen some suggestions on how you can "hack" the installation not to check for TPM presence, but what's the point of such workrounds if OS will want it later to work properly with whatevers part of it.

During worst times to upgrade your rig, it feels kinda odd Microsoft made a requirement like this.

I have a feeling that requirement will be removed or lessened near it's official release date. To me it sounds like Microsoft are trying to turn PC's into Apple phones.

Anyway that requirement can be hacked out based on certain forums I visit. Seems a lot of us will be using bootlegged/hacked/edited Window 11 versions in the future.

Back
Top Bottom