World Cup 2022 - Qatar

All that recent drama regarding the age of players (and possibly something else) in the Belgian National football team culminated today in the team's elimination from FIFA World Cup :(
I don't harbor a sweet feeling of revenge for the elimination of Brazil in 2018 by the Belgians. In fact I like the football played by the Reds, in some respects it's quite similiar to our. But the recent crisis that the players themselves triggered, I believe the result could not be different.
Sorry for Belgium prematurely going out of this World Cup, @Pladio :( I honestly like the Belgian team.
They didn't play well to be honest. Against Canada they were hyperpassive and Morocco should have been an easy win. So them trying a bit harder in this match wasn't enough. They don't really deserved getting through in my opinion.

Entertaining Japan - Spain game going on.

Well, German tried harder but unfortunately Spain wasn't willing to tie their match and help German to get to Round-of-16.
Anyway, the new German players seem to have a good future. Musiala and Kai Harvetz are great footballers, they can't be on the bench. Havertz shouldn't be on the bench for Thomas Müller, regardless of Müller's story in the DE team.

Nice revenge on the germans from Infantino, the ball was clearly out at the 2nd japanese goal; even with a dozen var idiots and still shit like that happens

Nice revenge on the germans from Infantino, the ball was clearly out at the 2nd japanese goal; even with a dozen var idiots and still shit like that happens
Yes, I saw a still image and the ball was wholly out of the field. How a thing like that can escape the VAR is anyone's guess. Or maybe not too much of a guess.

There's a been a few very odd VAR decisions, IMO. I don't understand why they don't have something similar to the Eagle Eye in tennis, along the goal line. I'd have thought this sort of situation could be shown immediately to the spectators, with great accuracy.

There's a been a few very odd VAR decisions, IMO. I don't understand why they don't have something similar to the Eagle Eye in tennis, along the goal line. I'd have thought this sort of situation could be shown immediately to the spectators, with great accuracy.
Because FIFA ...

Lol.

Yes, I saw a still image and the ball was wholly out of the field. How a thing like that can escape the VAR is anyone's guess. Or maybe not too much of a guess.
What picture (do you have a link?). The pictures I saw, seen from above, on Norwegian TV show that the projection of the contour of the ball touches the line. And according to the rules (according to Norwegian TV) that's what counts. Doesn't matter that the ball touches the ground outside the line. According to the experts on Norwegian TV.

JC1RqqsmuFB5VZo5lD58-QSAzk52C7ILTU9IibQhJmJQ

pibbuR

Last edited:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the rule - you draw a plane perpendicular to the outside edge of the line, and if any part of the ball intersects it, then it's still in play. Interesting that you got that view on Norwegian coverage - I don't think most of us got that shot? I'd have thought it would be a good idea to show that as soon as possible.

What picture (do you have a link?). The pictures I saw, seen from above, on Norwegian TV show that the projection of the contour of the ball touches the line. And according to the rules (according to Norwegian TV) that's what counts. Doesn't matter that the ball touches the ground outside the line. According to the experts on Norwegian TV.

JC1RqqsmuFB5VZo5lD58-QSAzk52C7ILTU9IibQhJmJQ

pibbuR
I don't have a link, I received an image in my WhatsApp account. It was a photo from the side, not from above as yours.
Anyway, I read the rules and you're right: if a projection of the ball's circumference touches the line, even slightly, it isn't entirely out of the field, and therefore, it's still in play. I suppose it's a rule a bit different from Tennis.

EDIT - I uploaded the image I have: (it was captured from TV)
JAPAN.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm just puzzled why that overhead shot wasn't immediately shown as justification, since it was available. That makes it clearer that it was extremely close, but not an unreasonable decision.

With VAR and the new GPS/force sensor in the ball, I personally didn't feel the need for a picture. Good or bad, a lot of the ambiguity has been stripped from football with this technology. Take, for instance, this offsides call on Croatia :rolleyes::
wzba65cx0b3a1.png

Little by little, the magic of the game is being supplanted by 1s and 0s. But what you don't have is conspiracy theories.

With VAR and the new GPS/force sensor in the ball, I personally didn't feel the need for a picture. Good or bad, a lot of the ambiguity has been stripped from football with this technology. Take, for instance, this offsides call on Croatia :rolleyes::

Little by little, the magic of the game is being supplanted by 1s and 0s. But what you don't have is conspiracy theories.
I notice that this time a lot of goals are cancelled due to very minor offside situations. I suppose before VAR, many goals that should be cancelled, did not.

pibbuR

Back
Top Bottom