XenForo forums: Tips, Tricks & Questions

I've added "How to set up automatic notifications about replies to threads you create, threads you've responded in, etc.?" to the first post. All of this is enabled by default for accounts registered since around July 25th, 2022. Accounts created previously will only have some of these options enabled, so it's worth checking that you've got the full range of notifications enabled.

I don't know where I should post this, so I formulate it as a tipp: With the new forum software you no longer need Tapatalk.

Yay! :D

In the mobile site, is there a quick way to get back to the main forums page?

The button at the top seems to bring me to the news page only.

EDIT
Clicking on the three lines brings a menu up that has the forums button on it. I guess that works.

I actually mention this in the first post here.
Well, yes, but for me notifications hadn't been the problem. The old forum just couldn't be used well in mobile in general.

I always get the message that RPGWatch wants "to enable push notofications".
I don't even know what this is, so how can I turn off this message ?

Thank you.

I'm sorry if this was already asked, but is there a way to avoid lines "going a step up" when I use backspace? Because it's INCREDIBLY annoying.

I'm sorry if this was already asked, but is there a way to avoid lines "going a step up" when I use backspace? Because it's INCREDIBLY annoying.
It’s a XenForo bug it seems. Use enter instead of shift+enter at the end of your lines and it shouldn’t happen?

Why would you be using shift+enter exactly? That's only needed on Facebook, not in a proper editor like we have here. ;)
Apparently Shift+Enter can be used to add lines in quotes (in WYSIWYG mode), I didn't even know this existed. It can be very handy when quoting pasted external sources and fixing the lines that tend to stick together. I've always been annoyed that Enter split the quote instead, so I usually switch to BB mode to deal with that.

I'd rather have a combo "modifier + Enter" to split quotes and Enter behaving as expected, but there have already been discussions in their forums about that and it's not likely to change.

Another problem I have with quotes: it's impossible to insert a quote when you edit an existing post - it will just create a new post and edit both at the same time, so once more BB mode is your friend. But fair enough, why edit one's post in the first place? ...

It's not possible to copy/cut/paste quotes either, so the same old BB mode is helpful there. Unfortunately, no hotkeys in BB mode (for bold, italic, URL, ...).

Another problem I have with quotes: it's impossible to insert a quote when you edit an existing post - it will just create a new post and edit both at the same time, so once more BB mode is your friend. But fair enough, why edit one's post in the first place? ...
There are several possible ways of quoting, so you need to be more specific about how exactly you're quoting. Post the steps so I can reproduce what you're doing exactly, there might be a way around it.

It's not possible to copy/cut/paste quotes either, so the same old BB mode is helpful there.
Again, context needed.

There are several possible ways of quoting, so you need to be more specific about how exactly you're quoting. Post the steps so I can reproduce what you're doing exactly, there might be a way around it.
If I
  • edit a post
  • select text in another post
  • + Quote
=> there is no "Insert quotes..." button

Or if I
  • edit a post
=> it leaves the currently edited post unchanged, and puts the quoted text into a new post at the bottom. So there are 2 open editors, which is quite unexpected.

Again, context needed.
Just copy or cut a quote in visual mode, and paste it elsewhere. It just copies the text but loses the reference. For example if I copy your quote above, I get this:

Again, context needed.

Sometimes it works, but not always. (Ironically, if I try now it's working...)

If I
  • edit a post
  • + Quote
=> there is no "Insert quotes..." button

Or if I
  • edit a post
=> it leaves the currently edited post unchanged, and puts the quoted text into a new post at the bottom. So there are 2 open editors, which is quite unexpected.
Yea, for such situations probably the most practical solution is to just cut the quote code being made in the new post and paste it into the edited post where you want it.

Just copy or cut a quote in visual mode, and paste it elsewhere. It just copies the text but loses the reference.
The WYSIWYG mode in any text editor I've used is basically "best-effort"; I have yet to see a perfect one. Redactor is a very good editor, but as you say, there are still instances where you have to resort to turning BB code off and do manual work to achieve the desired result. I couldn't say whether there are technical limitations that prevent the improvement of this or just the fact that XF basically just drops Redactor in with minimum integration (probably the latter). The fact is, the editor behaviour in XF hasn't changed much if at all from the XF1 version, so the XF devs are clearly happy with it as it is and don't want to bother with integration improvements.

I found some information about shortcuts, for XenForo and for the editor. The few XF ones are handy:

Xenforo:
  • m - Open the profile menu
  • , (Comma) - Open the inbox/conversation menu
  • . (Period/full-stop) - Open the alerts menu
  • / (Forward slash) - Open the search menu (also in Admin control panel)
  • keys 1 to 0 will activate the corresponding tab (or tab menu) from the primary navigation strip
  • ALT+1 to 0 will activate the corresponding item from the sub-navigation strip.

Editor:

The main shortcuts are shown in the tooltips, except the special Shift+Enter discussed above to separate lines in quotes.

Otherwise see Froala's page below... if XF is using Froala right now, it's hard to tell. A few shortcuts aren't working for me, and they're for QWERTY keyboards - on AZERTY or other layouts some of the special characters can sometimes be found at the similar location, like "¨/^ "instead of "[" to indent. Some shortcuts are intercepted by Chrome too.

Last edited:
Isn't that Froala now? I think they've switched again in their latest version.
Hmm, you're right, they switched to Froala in XF2. And Froala 3.x in XF 2.2, I missed this. I thought it was just a graphical update of Redactor, because the issues mentioned are pretty much the same as from the XF1 Redactor version.

M - Open the profile menu
This doesn't do anything for me? The rest are interesting, though it's debatable whether really useful.

The main shortcuts are shown in the tooltips, except the special Shift+Enter discussed above to separate lines in quotes.
Shift+Enter isn't something special in XF, it's a standard key combo that works to insert a line break in pretty much every text editor and similar program out there. It works in everything from Word to Dreamweaver to Facebook etc. The difference to note is between a paragraph break (Enter) vs. line break (Shift+Enter). In XF particularly, all you normally need is Enter (multiple times if needed). Only in a few rare situations the line break actually needs to be used.

I'm not sure where some users' habit of using Shift+Enter everywhere is coming from. Perhaps Facebook, where you can't separate text normally otherwise than with Shift+Enter?

Back
Top Bottom