Bethesda's prologues ranked.
Weren't some of us recently discussing this?

"I guess Bethesda listened to all the moaning gamer pissbabies who complained the opening of Fallout 3 was too long, because Fallout 4's prologue is such a rush it's playing YYZ."

Modern "I'm so edgy" Gaming journalism at its finest! :p

Although this bit is kind of funny:

"It's not infuriating because the choice is so obvious, but because you know Skyrim would only offer you a choice that seemed so obvious if it was going to eventually pull some both-sides nonsense about how the Stormcloaks are actually bad too, have you considered that, hmmm?"

Last edited:
"I guess Bethesda listened to all the moaning gamer pissbabies who complained the opening of Fallout 3 was too long, because Fallout 4's prologue is such a rush it's playing YYZ."

Modern "I'm so edgy" Gaming journalism at its finest! :p
He's not lying though. The beginning of FO4 does feel quite rushed by comparison. It's also pretty funny how the vault is literally right around the corner from your house.

Fine with me. Since I don't have a subscription and simply bought the game, that just translates into update with added content for me, just like with any other game that adds free content.

Matters to me I'm fine with more expansions but if they go the way of the Creation Club again, then it matters. As half of that sold Creation DLC broke Fallout 4.

That DLC broke quests from finishing and crashed the game at startup.

As anticipated, it's been a few days since I last played Starfield, about 100 hours in, character level 41. The once exciting {...}adventure > loot > upgrade > store > adventure{...} has become too dull and the story is not good enough for me to keep me interested.

It's still 100 hours, potentially many more in future, so well worth it. Yet I wish Bethesda games could be more than that one day. Here's hoping.

Matters to me I'm fine with more expansions but if they go the way of the Creation Club again, then it matters. As half of that sold Creation DLC broke Fallout 4.

That DLC broke quests from finishing and crashed the game at startup.
Creation Club stuff wasn't made by Bethesda though, right? Mods can always break games, and BGS doesn't test it. The stuff Hines is talking about is being made by the actual team.

Correct but I foresee them going that route again in the future. More DLC was always going to happen so it's not a surprise. Fallout 4 had three expansion DLCs.

Frankly the game needs more content that isn't empty planets.

I exspect more DLC like Fallout 76 as well to flesh out outpost building.

I just bought a class C ship (for a hair under $500K) and discovered I can't fly it. I had Sam Coe in the crew so I didn't think I needed ranks in piloting, but apparently he's the kind of pilot that can't actually fly anything... :wall:

I just bought a class C ship (for a hair under $500K) and discovered I can't fly it. I had Sam Coe in the crew so I didn't think I needed ranks in piloting, but apparently he's the kind of pilot that can't actually fly anything... :wall:
I've been wondering to what degree assigned crew affects things. Does this mean that their skills don't do much?
I've been assigning crew that are good at space ship stuff to my spaceships, and crew good at outpost stuff to outposts, and I haven't noticed what their affect is, if anything.

Yeah, I don't know what effect the companion skill levels actually have. I never bothered to find out, but it didn't seem like it was doing much.

As far as Creation Club content is concerned, I always assumed it would be the same as it is with Skyrim and FO4. I'm surprised they didn't have it ready closer to launch.

It'll be interesting to see what we get from Bethesda vs independent developers via CC.

Took 6 months for Fallout 4, only slightly less for Skyrim.
Well Fallout 4 was the first game to use it, so that's when CC was launched right? I'm not sure why it took them so long to implement it for Skyrim.

I can't say I'm very familiar with it. I've looked at some of the content, but I've yet to purchase a single item. Nothing ever jumped out at me as a must-have.

Oh you said club, my mind went immediately to Creation Kit. Though there really isn't much a point to the former without the launch of modding tools.

This attempts to explain it, but I honestly don't think companion's skills do much of anything right now. At best, it's a poorly implemented feature.
Put simply, companion skill pips are NOT skill ranks like your main has, just a measure of how much plus they give to your skills when used. So any of the skill upgrades that a rank grants, you need to get yourself.

I have finished the game. ~84 hours.
I think I stopped enjoying it much past a certain point - that point being where I'd done the best of the side stuff and needed to do more of the main stuff.
The whole "get artifact, get associated power" loop was as dull as sawdust, so I powered through it. I should have mixed things up more. Oh well. Putting it aside until a DLC turns up.

The only major quest thread I didn't do was the Ryujin side quests. I started them, then realised I wasn't really feeling it. I'll come back to it (with an earlier save) after a break.

Highlights:
The UC Vanguard/Crimson Fleet side quest.
Really enjoyed all that. My only criticism of that section: that Crimson Fleet leader has zero charisma and would have been spaced a long time ago. You have such a great character in that eccentric collector dude that you barely use and then you use your shittiest actor in such a pivotal role?

That one artifact collection quest with
all the reality switching stuff

I actually liked farting around with my spaceship design. That was a pleasant surprise.

The twist as to why Earth went kaplooey.

Lowlights:
Outposts. Pretty dull stuff. Pointless. Even in the much maligned Fallout 76 there was a reason for doing that sort of stuff.

Artifact/power fetching. Aside from the quest mentioned above - dull. At least in Skyrim the powers were often hidden in dungeons or had a dragon curled up near it. They regressed back to the Oblivion method of "hey, let's make the player do these dull repetitive tasks to advance the plot". At least in that, there was some sort of challenge involved.
Also, past a certain plot point, pointless.
A certain character says you need this stuff to make yourself more powerful for the final confrontation. You don't. They are mostly pretty crappy. Go pew pew ad-nauseum for the win.

Yeah, I beat it the other day. Took me around 120 hours, but I took my jolly time exploring stuff and whatever. I'm not going to move to NG+ until I get the rest of the powers. I've also developed an unhealthy interest in mowing down dinosaurs with semi-automatic assault rifles.

I haven't bothered with outposts yet. Since it seems like a pointless activity (for now), it probably isn't worth the time to learn it. I might mess around with some later just for adhesive and titanium, but I'm ok with just buying those instead.

I'm looking forward to forthcoming DLC and mods. The repetition of PoIs didn't bother me quite as much as some people, but that's an area where mods could help immensely. I'd also love to see a mod/dlc that adds a skill similar to Skyrim's enchanting where you can extract bonuses from rare/epic/legendary items and put them on another. I don't mind the itemization in this game, but farming items I'm not huge on here. I know this would make you overpowered, so there should be heavy resource costs involved (maybe this would be something that would make outposts more useful).

I also hope that future DLCs add aliens and more star systems (like level 100+ ones). Maybe class D ships as well. Having an actual ship fleet would be pretty cool too.

Having an actual ship fleet would be pretty cool too.
Yeah, that would be cool. Setting up crew to man them, big epic space battles with loads of ships... that would be a lot of fun.
Also, armaments that aren't just of the front-of-ship variety. Set up gun emplacements facing in any direction and have crew members with the right skills man them.