i7GCGUD.jpg

My opinion is she needs to get her country in order. The public needs to understand Brexit is a done deal, and at this point their is no backing out. There is a deadline.
The UK is scheduled to leave the EU at 11pm local time on March 29 2019.
@Ripper I fear your county is heading for a major rescission.

Education might and could stave off a recession, but they have a lot of internal work to do. Her entire portfolio is splintered or shambled, firstly that needs to be addressed, then they'll need to work on educating the public as to what happens next. A clear and concisely laid out plan would help a lot, but they've a lot to do before even getting close to that point.

The important thing to realise at this point is that it's not the people who are against Brexit that are blocking things - it's those that are not happy with the reality of the deal. As someone said, people voted for a unicorn, and now that Theresa May has presented them a horse with a Cornetto on its head (which is probably the best she can do), they're not impressed.

A lot of these guys nurse the fantasy that the EU is going to allow us unfettered access to the single market, while being free from the regulations and tariffs, so we can undercut them as we please. Not going to happen.

The problem stems from the fact that it was never really clear what Brexit would be, and now people think that all of the less-than-wonderful realistic options are not the True Brexit.

It is a bloody mess. It seems many of the politicians seemed happy to push the country willingly into the abyss because they did not like what was on the table. Irresponsible.
I fear there will be such a chaos after March.

I don't know whole lot about Brexit, but I just find it funny that people are so quick to blame May - do they think they can do a better job? I don't think it will be easy for UK to get what they want regardless who's in charge.

I doubt it. There will be European elections 23-26 May 2019. The EU wants this dealt with before that.

I don't know whole lot about Brexit, but I just find it funny that people are so quick to blame May - do they think they can do a better job? I don't think it will be easy for UK to get what they want regardless who's in charge.

She's far from the only one to blame, and blaming anyone won't solve anything.

But she's still the prime minister of the UK, right? So if you wonder about responsibility, well, that came with the job. The whole Brexit thing is the defining issue of her whole term in office.

Was she in an impossible position, having to sell that deal? Certainly looks that way. But she did not end up in this position by pure accident. If she would have been up front with her party and her fellow countrymen about the realities of a Brexit deal, well who knows... She could also have drawn the line when the election cost her the majority. Instead, she made a deal with the DUP, putting another nail in the deal's coffin.

Look what happened historically the last time a British monarch tried that!! :)

First. I have not been following The Guardian on this topic so I don’t know what its position is; is it one of the daydreamers? As I understood from the Dutch media the press in the England and Wales, like many of UK politicians, have been reluctant to see the downsides of the Brexit.
So reading this article I wonder: is this another example of looking at the sunnyside of the Brexit? Hope against all odds?

Second.
The signals I get from Brussels, via the Dutch media, is that only when Britain makes it absolutely clear a trade deal, within the boundaries set, will be reached - so small adjustments - either via a second referendum or a new election, they will be willing to postpone. If not they think it is pointless to continue after the deadline.

That belief, that need of certainty, is also mentioned in that article:
“The [EU] leaders are much more savvy than people think – they can see what is happening in the UK, and they were left unconvinced that it would be possible to get a trade deal done quickly because the British government remains opaque on what it wants.”
Emphasis and [EU] is mine.

As far as the EU is concerned many members of the British parliament will have to agree with small changes, they can not offer more.
In the Dutch media I see and hear experts and Dutch/European politicians doubting those members will agree with small changes because of the enormous, historical defeat of May.

Some here think hope British parliament, well, many of the Tories are playing a political game, because apparently next week there is yet another vote planned in parliament: so vote ‘nay’ today and you’ll get some extra (small) concessions from the EU next week.

Dutch minister already said that any concessions made will be purely cosmetic, mind you The Netherlands is keen on getting a trade deal because the UK is important to us (Germany is our largest and most important trade partner, but UK comes second). So maybe May (everybody expects her to survive tomorrow) may sell it as a huge concession next Monday but in fact it will be nothing.

Another problem that is missing in that article is that all members of the EU will have to agree with the extension.

As for the European election the 73 seats of the UK have already been deleted/divided, things have changed. Instead of 751 seats there are now 705 seats. Some countries got more seats.

Also, Verhofstadt has reaffirmed today he wants the matter solved before EU election, because he does not want the Brexit issue imported as an issue in the European election.

Last edited:
I really don't see a delay in this happening, I'd pity the politicians that tried to push such a thing, I believe the public would shred them.

I have just read that apparently already a formal study was done on whether it is legally possibly to have European elections in May 2019 without British representatives, even if Brexit is postponed till after the elections. Outcome: it is.

Remains hearing from May what’s the purpose of postponing the date. “Postponing just to extend the problem is pointless”, the Dutch article said.

Something I've been wondering about: even if a decision was made, wouldn't there need to be a LOT of work done to get ready for it? Computer programs would have to be updated, some customs buildings built, lots of officials will need hiring/training. You folks might need to declare there will be no deal AND push the Brexit out to June! Even that sounds crazy soon to me.

P.S. The US stands ready to assist you when it comes time to figure out who to blame! (flexes a strong index finger) ;)

I have just read that apparently already a formal study was done on whether it is legally possibly to have European elections in May 2019 without British representatives, even if Brexit is postponed till after the elections. Outcome: it is.

Remains hearing from May what’s the purpose of postponing the date. “Postponing just to extend the problem is pointless”, the Dutch article said.
Yes it is possible. But as you say unlikely.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Something I've been wondering about: even if a decision was made, wouldn't there need to be a LOT of work done to get ready for it? Computer programs would have to be updated, some customs buildings built, lots of officials will need hiring/training. You folks might need to declare there will be no deal AND push the Brexit out to June! Even that sounds crazy soon to me.

P.S. The US stands ready to assist you when it comes time to figure out who to blame! (flexes a strong index finger) ;)
If the deal is accepted there's a 2 year transition where almost nothing changes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk