Yeah, but that's a good opportunity for him.

I think he forgot a few things, though.

If there's a new class or a new combat style, it may be best to wait for the DLC before starting a new playthrough, instead of starting it in advance. There's no rush, after all, and having to respec at the last minute without knowing much about a new combat style or new weapons doesn't sound like a great idea, but to each their own.

He also talks about Mohg but without mentioning some useful items like Mohg's Shackle, Lord of Blood's Exultation, or the Purifying Crystal Tear, especially for those who'd like to start the DLC as early as possible.

Hidetaka Miyazaki said there won't be another DLC for Elden Ring after Shadow of the Erdtree, which is no complete surprise yet a little sad.

It is the first and last DLC. We have no plans to add more content to Elden Ring. [...] FromSoftware's style of doing things is that it generally does not allow the future of an IP to be easily locked, so it is better to leave some possibilities. But as far as "Shadow of the Erdtree" is concerned, it is the only DLC.

[...]

Elden Ring emphasizes the exploration and adventure of the big world. In order to provide such an experience, a vast and huge scene is inevitably needed. Therefore, instead of splitting it into several parts, it is better to simply make one big. If they were sold separately, the freedom of exploration and sense of adventure would be reduced.

From a Miyazaki interview, I believe he recommended to get into the expansion at around the mid-point of the main campaign.
That's all the preparation I need.

The one thing I do need from the expansion is official support for ultrawide monitors. I think there's a very slim margin they're gonna implement that.
Which is kind of outrageous. I really don't want to use 3rd party software again to make the game work on 21:9 resolutions. Not even due to the fact that it means I can't go online because of that.

The best addition to this game would be a couch split screen co-op. ER would be awesome entertainment shared with a friend. I got bored of it playing alone because the lack of focus on the story and immersion. I don't need a beefy DLC to a game that already takes hundreds of hours to complete, but obviously understand why they do it.

The best addition to this game would be a couch split screen co-op. ER would be awesome entertainment shared with a friend. I got bored of it playing alone because the lack of focus on the story and immersion.
I never had any issues with the obtuse storytelling in Dark Souls or frankly any of the souls/borne games.
The exploration and progression experience were enough for me to want to keep going. It was just that good.

Normally I really need to connect with the story, but these are some of the few games where I was satisfied not really getting it, and then got even more pleasure when I then went onto youtube to get story analysis and summaries.
Bloodborne is probably the only one I did dig into the story a lot more, as I was playing, compared to doing it afterwards with the rest of the fromsoft games.
The perfect symbiosis between story and gameplay in BB made it so good to enjoy both at the same time.

From a Miyazaki interview, I believe he recommended to get into the expansion at around the mid-point of the main campaign.

The one thing I do need from the expansion is official support for ultrawide monitors. I think there's a very slim margin they're gonna implement that.
Which is kind of outrageous. I really don't want to use 3rd party software again to make the game work on 21:9 resolutions. Not even due to the fact that it means I can't go online because of that.
I'm surprised they don't take that format into account. It's not an old game, but yeah, PC ports...

Did you contact their support?

The best addition to this game would be a couch split screen co-op. ER would be awesome entertainment shared with a friend. I got bored of it playing alone because the lack of focus on the story and immersion. I don't need a beefy DLC to a game that already takes hundreds of hours to complete, but obviously understand why they do it.
I'd be fine with another game instead, but Elden Ring is so vast in space and story, and it still had so much potential that it made sense to build on top of it. But it's rare that I spend so much time in games, too, so I understand what you mean.

I don't think I'll ever be bored with this particular one, though (after 200 hours, which is big for me).

Yes, it must be fun in coop.

I'm surprised they don't take that format into account. It's not an old game, but yeah, PC ports...

Did you contact their support?
Tried to in various ways, even on twitter. No such luck.
They just don't put any decent care into their pc ports.
And I don't even want them to bother with scaling the UI properly or anything. Just leave it as. Just unblock how much of the frame the engine renders.
That's all these 3rd party apps do, like Flawless Widescreen.

Hidetaka Miyazaki said there won't be another DLC for Elden Ring after Shadow of the Erdtree, which is no complete surprise yet a little sad.

I'm good with that. I'd much rather see them move on to a sequel or new game than wait another 2-3 years for a second expansion.

I'm pretty sure I read that the difficulty level is supposed to be comparable to where the main campaign ends.

I'm good with that. I'd much rather see them move on to a sequel or new game than wait another 2-3 years for a second expansion.

I'm pretty sure I read that the difficulty level is supposed to be comparable to where the main campaign ends.
I went back and found the interview I read this on.
View: https://twitter.com/swordandflower/status/1785867528721322445/photo/1

1714838418310.png

Also apparently there is a side-mechanic for leveling, exclusive to the DLC, and you can use this to adjust your difficulty by leveling up with that side-mechanic, according to how difficult you like the experience to be.
1714838530294.png
1714838556349.png

Well, it says latter half of the game not midpoint, so I guess it depends on how you want to interpret it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be significantly harder than the middle range of the campaign.

I've also seen it said that there will be multiple bosses that are Malenia-level hard or close to it.

Well, it says latter half of the game not midpoint, so I guess it depends on how you want to interpret it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be significantly harder than the middle range of the campaign.

I've also seen it said that there will be multiple bosses that are Malenia-level hard or close to it.
Yeah, in from-soft games I found that how difficult some fight is tends to be very personal. I've found fights that people are saying are a breeze, and i struggled significantly; and vice-versa.
Even if you're the exactly same level and have the exact same build/item it's gonna vary based on personal skill. Let alone how much variability is introduced with how you build your character.

So I'm sure I'll be having a real pain-in-the-ass experience with the DLC, as I've had with almost all from-soft expansions. They really find a way to twist that knife even further, since they often see how players tackled their content in the base game and then they adjust it in the expansion, just to screw with you even further. :D

You have to manually choose to go to newgame+ so you can finish the main game and then do the DLC. Which is what I will be doing since I already beat the main game.

You have to manually choose to go to newgame+ so you can finish the main game and then do the DLC. Which is what I will be doing since I already beat the main game.
I don't see any difference between starting a new game or choosing newgame+. It's going to be the same distance to get to the DLC either way.

I won't be doing either since I made a backup of my save right before the end.

I wonder and kind of assume the new expansion will also introduce new mechanics/items/features/adjustments that are also accessible from the main campaign/landmass, and not just from the expansion.
So to me that would make it reason enough to want to re-experience it again. That's also one of the reasons I stopped my initial playthrough the moment it was rumored the expansion would be coming.

I wonder and kind of assume the new expansion will also introduce new mechanics/items/features/adjustments that are also accessible from the main campaign/landmass, and not just from the expansion.
It's introducing a lot of new weapons, etc, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to whether these things will exist only in the DLC area or be scattered into the base game as well. It says this on their website...
Shadow of the Erdtree adds new weapons, equipment, weapon skills and magic not found in the base game ELDEN RING, along with new enemies, boss encounters and plotlines to further increase players' RPG freedom.
Obviously, there are two ways to interpret that. It could mean that all the new stuff is in the DLC area, or it might just mean it's not there without the DLC installed.

If I had to guess, I think the new stuff is all in the DLC area. As massive as Elden Ring is, I doubt they went and made changes to the base content as well.

*Edit* In case I misunderstood you, the new content will definitely be useable outside of the new areas (it's confirmed that we can travel back and forth freely between the new region and The Lands Between). I'm simply saying the new weapons, etc, will all be found in the DLC area.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about the amount of "tutorials" some game-dedicated media/sites think people need in order to play a videogame.

How to prepare to play the DLC: Start the game, play until you run into the DLC, at which point it's probably safe to say that the developers intended for you to play the DLC. There, you're welcome, both for the elaborate tutorial, and the time you saved not watching a pointless video.

I don't see any difference between starting a new game or choosing newgame+. It's going to be the same distance to get to the DLC either way.

I won't be doing either since I made a backup of my save right before the end.
I think he means that but phrased it like he did because of what Miyazaki wrote in that translation above:
[…] we recomend the players to start on the DLC after you reach the latter half of the main game, and after you finish the DLC, you can go back to the main game to finish up the main game. Because if you finish up everything in the main game, it'll likely go into NG+ and therefore unable to jump straight into the DLC.
(Which I also found a little strange since the game doesn't go automatically into NG+; you have to choose it.)

As I remember the place where it starts and the boss to defeat, I wouldn't even feel comfortable going there at midpoint, let alone doing the DLC.