13 hour lore video :O Thats insane!
It is. And he took the time to insert relevant footage, so it must have taken him months to create that first episode. The video already has 67k views in one day, so at least it pays off. I don't think all of them watched it until the end, though. ;)

I love these souls/borne lore analysis videos. There's so much lore in these games that it's insane. And so much of it is hidden and pieced apart in various places and items.
I can never piece things together, but I love listening to them being pieced together. Generally it's very cool lore. And I have to say, it's much better to have it like this than just served in your face. It gives the world a certain mood and video, of long dormant civilizations.

I agree. I've watched quite a few lore videos on various soulsgames. With that said I wouldn't mind if the main objectives of the games were abit more encouraging and engaging. It's not hard to lose the sense of purpose.

That's true; I'm not sure how much I could have done without looking at guides. The game counts on players helping one another and building this database, so the first players must have felt quite lost and they had to take a lot of time to work the quests out.

Interestingly in fromsoft games, I never have an issue with motivation. They're probably the only games that I don't do it mainly for the story.
Exploration is probably the number one motivator for me. Finding everything, clearing locations, and engaging fights where you're close to losing it all. The feeling of conquering area after area is unmatched. They really are probably the best level designers.

Interestingly in fromsoft games, I never have an issue with motivation. They're probably the only games that I don't do it mainly for the story.
Exploration is probably the number one motivator for me. Finding everything, clearing locations, and engaging fights where you're close to losing it all. The feeling of conquering area after area is unmatched. They really are probably the best level designers.
You nailed it! Exploration and level design is so good, that you always want to know, what comes behind the next corner, or how you can get to that next floor. In Dark Souls 3 this level design even better than in Elden Ring, at least for my feeling.

I have a question...is it viable to be a purely distance-based sorcerer? I seem to find myself pushed into close quarters combat in quite a few places (mini/boss fights, dungeons etc) and I can't use torrent for added mobility. I'm not a souls player, but I am finding this very frustrating - especially coupled with slow casting animations for spells, which you can't always interrupt to dodge. Also, despite having summons often these don't draw much aggro so I get smacked/killed (while running around like a headless chicken desperately scrolling through items to get the health potion I need....) Outside it is fine - I can gallop in, do some blasting, ride circles around enemies etc. I'm in Raya Licuria academy now, just need to fight Rennala...but dreading that sice I am magic based and supposedly (and not unexpectedly) she is higly resisant to magic...I have the carian knight sword which I have pushed to +5 and carian knioght shield (+5 too) but really, I have not had much melee exposure and my endurance is not that high. So 1-1 is not a good option for me. Also, there seem to be 0 shielding spells - as in things that absorb attack damage (not talismans etc - I mean an actual spell you cast, that puts up a barrier*). All down to armour and blocking/dodging. Do these exist? I have visited Sellen and found 1/2 other people who sell spells, but have't seen anyhing.

(*) not counting 'scholars' shield or whatever it is called that buffs your equipped shield.

I have a question...is it viable to be a purely distance-based sorcerer? I seem to find myself pushed into close quarters combat in quite a few places (mini/boss fights, dungeons etc) and I can't use torrent for added mobility. I'm not a souls player, but I am finding this very frustrating - especially coupled with slow casting animations for spells, which you can't always interrupt to dodge. Also, despite having summons often these don't draw much aggro so I get smacked/killed (while running around like a headless chicken desperately scrolling through items to get the health potion I need....) Outside it is fine - I can gallop in, do some blasting, ride circles around enemies etc. I'm in Raya Licuria academy now, just need to fight Rennala...but dreading that sice I am magic based and supposedly (and not unexpectedly) she is higly resisant to magic...I have the carian knight sword which I have pushed to +5 and carian knioght shield (+5 too) but really, I have not had much melee exposure and my endurance is not that high. So 1-1 is not a good option for me. Also, there seem to be 0 shielding spells - as in things that absorb attack damage (not talismans etc - I mean an actual spell you cast, that puts up a barrier*). All down to armour and blocking/dodging. Do these exist? I have visited Sellen and found 1/2 other people who sell spells, but have't seen anyhing.

(*) not counting 'scholars' shield or whatever it is called that buffs your equipped shield.
From my experience it is not possible to be a pure distance fighter, whether magic or ranger type. At least in several boss fights you will not be able to avoid melee confrontation.

I have tried that, because I always prefer to play ranged characters in all games allowing this.

However, spells and bows are of great value in certain situations, therefore it is useful to have bows and a few spells ready.

Thanks for the info...that was kind of what I feared. I should have gone tanky + some distance attacks. I didn't want to have dodge and roll around like maniac all the time ;-) I as 'invaded' by some crazy nun wielding a giant cleaver - she bounced around like a yo yo - I couldn't target her with my spells. In the end I cheesed it, but when I tried to go 1-1 I couldn't really block (she cut straight through my leather shield) and very quickly killed me. I ended up standing on a wall and shooting her to death ...ah the shame! I'm level 60 now, so not going to go and restart...I hear you can respec after Rennala, but that would involve learning an entirely new play style from scratch.

It's also my impression that a pure incantation/sorcery build is much harder to play in some fights, though I haven't tried to play with one.

You can equip a shield with Carian Retaliation, which you can use at your advantage against an enemy throwing spells at you. You can boost your magic defense with some talismans and incantations. And you need to time carefully when you cast, which isn't much different than melee attacks.

More importantly, though, you should find the appropriate spirit ash to keep the enemy busy. I don't know which one you have tried, but some of them are really good at aggro, like the Ancestral Follower, the Nightmaiden & Swordstress Puppets, or Kaiden Sellsword. They can be found quite early in the game; later, there are even better ones.

If it's still too hard, leave it for later. Or make some points in other attributes to use melee weapons; there are great melee weapons for Faith and Intelligence builds.

I think you'll be all right with Rennala if you get the right spirit ash. Have you already defeated the Red Wolf?

More importantly, though, you should find the appropriate spirit ash to keep the enemy busy. I don't know which one you have tried, but some of them are really good at aggro, like the Ancestral Follower, the Nightmaiden & Swordstress Puppets, or Kaiden Sellsword. They can be found quite early in the game; later, there are even better ones.
All of your advice is good. However, I would not be too optimistic with this one: Against the really hard bosses even the best spirit ash will not prevent them from going melee with you. So it still holds, that you can't entirely avoid melee.

@booboo : Unfortunately a fast moving melee build is much more effective than a tank in Elden Ring. Avoiding to be hit is much better than trying to "swallow" hits. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to doge and roll all the time. You can also use strategies like running past an enemy and then attacking from behind.

All of your advice is good. However, I would not be too optimistic with this one: Against the really hard bosses even the best spirit ash will not prevent them from going melee with you. So it still holds, that you can't entirely avoid melee.
Yeah, I'm not too optimistic for some of the later bosses either. But Rennala isn't very hard, so defeating her could give @booboo enough time to develop the melee side, and possibly respec if necessary.

On top of what @bkrueger said, I think that some sorceries easily break the enemy's stance, which provides you with more time to attack. That's why the Carian Retaliation is good, or using Glintblade / Greatblade Phalanx, for example.

While I don't have a lot of experience with those spells, I noticed that breaking the enemies' stance, or at least staggering them, was much easier than trying to evade their attacks all the time and stealing a few blows when possible. I started as a pure Dexterity build, and I found it very hard until I tried to use a more physical style. Those few extra seconds you get, even if the stance is not entirely broken, make all the difference. The situation here may be somewhat comparable, I think.

@bkrueger, Redglyph - Thanks for the advice - I don't have the ashes you mentioned (I think - I have quite a few, but mostly rubbish), fighting mini-bosses to get them is already stressful enough so I haven't gone into every catacomb etc. I have mainly used whatshisname the headless (?) , the warhawk, and the rowdy demi-human quintuplet (they do cause some distraction at least ), but mainly I am the one doing damage. Another issue is getting ghostglove etc of the right level to upgrade my spirit ashes - I looked and all those resources (for +4 and above) are in 'high level' areas/dungeons. The demihmans and wolves are at +4, rest +3 or below. So I think they are all underpowered. I fought that Red Wolf, and used the demi-humans...it mostly ignored them so I died twice, rolling and then trying to 'scroll down' to my health potions. I did kill it...well technically, we died at the sam time - I think a summon snuck in some damage as I died...so it was counted as defeat *yay*. Casting spells was so damn slow there - I mainly use greater glintshard since it does good damage. Recently got those glintsone stars, or whaterver they are called , which can be charged, but in close combat that is not viable. Rock sling is also good, but again, but extremely slow except as a 1st strike.

Where does one get carian retaliation? I may have glintblade (he magic sowrd you create with a staff in hand?), but I think using a sword to strike, rather than casting, may be quicker?

Ah....ok, had some bad 'hand' experiences there, so left it alone for now ;-)
They can be very annoying. Set them aflame and give them the finger. ;)

The area may be for a higher level, it's hard for me to judge.

Pidia is somewhere in the SE corner, so I'm not sure that you can reach him before defeating any boss. You may have to defeat Loretta, then go outside of the castle through the north gate, head SW along the wall (don't wander too far north from them) and jump down somewhere near the SW caste walls. There's a link to a guide for when you do that.

@booboo : Unfortunately a fast moving melee build is much more effective than a tank in Elden Ring. Avoiding to be hit is much better than trying to "swallow" hits. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to doge and roll all the time. You can also use strategies like running past an enemy and then attacking from behind.
I'd say that depends on one's playstyle and build. Blocking is very powerful in Elden Ring with the right shields and amount of endurance.