Why you (and everyone else) could soon be wearing this 'third thumb'

We know why. It's because generative AI has problem drawing hands.

Third-thumb-limes-1024x683.jpg

pibbuR who could use an extra arm when playing games and at the same time drinking coffee.

PS. Seems a bit awkward to me, but apparently it it works. The brain is very good at adapting to things like this. DS.

Why you (and everyone else) could soon be wearing this 'third thumb'

We know why. It's because generative AI has problem drawing hands.

pibbuR who could use an extra arm when playing games and at the same time drinking coffee.

PS. Seems a bit awkward to me, but apparently it it works. The brain is very good at adapting to things like this. DS.
The article begins with 'We could all soon have a third thumb', but ... I only have one on each hand? Or do we have to join both hands? ;) I know, I'm bad, sorry.

Anyway, I'm very bad in base 12 (or 11), too, so I predict this will be a major failure.

What I really wonder when I see something like this is whether we could adapt to new limbs connected directly to the brain, with something like Musk's system (but maybe safer). Would the brain have enough plasticity to integrate new things when we walk or grab objects?

... Or should we have to cut something else? :D

Ouch!! Didn't see this coming: Totalrecalls can recall MS Recall data.

pibbuR who admits that he actually some time ago naively didn't see this coming, but now, thanks to several watchers do.

Last edited:
Windows 10 development is about to get interesting, as the operating system is no longer on the back burner. Microsoft has reopened the beta channel of the Windows 10 Insider Program to test new features and ideas before introducing them to the general public.

For example, Windows Latest recently spotted that Microsoft has added a “Mobile devices” page to Windows 10 Settings...previously exclusive to Windows 11

They claim that this doesn't change the end-of-life next year. Let's hope that it does.

pibbuR and the wife who has two too old MS surfaces.

For the really competent watchers (The glyph and the dar...eh...the not that one. Any others? - There will be a quiz...):

pibbuR after reading it considers himself semi competent. And who drops the quiz.
I don't know. They keep talking about a die, so I suppose it's enhanced to play D&D? ;)

Very interesting! That's a bold design, with a lot of changes and a lot of redundancy to be more power-efficient for laptops - I wonder what the server CPUs'll be like.

The P and E cores smell like ARM's big.LITTLE, which has been out for years. A set of energy-efficient CPUs when not too much computation power is required, and another hungry set for high performances, though they removed hyperthreading and massively increased the out-of-order execution pipelines (which is an absolute nightmare to design). By the way, I wonder if that won't be more dependent on the compiler to achieve good performance.

And they did the same with the AI capabilities, by augmenting the hungry GPU cores with a dedicated NPU cores (still, much more powerful than the previous iteration). Is AI really so influential in CPU design? I think they may have overdone it, but that's just me.

The result is this huge monster, full of cores and full of caches, with mixed technology nodes. All that's missing is their new backside power technology.

I'm amazed one company could achieve something like that, and I really wonder how they design and validate the whole architecture. They must have tools and techniques that are far more advanced than what us mere mortals use.

I have a file on Google Drive that has been automatically flagged as possibly having a virus, so I can't share that file with anyone until the flag is lifted.

But the file does NOT have a virus, it's a false positive. I even created a new archive for the files and re-uploaded it, but it still gets flagged. It's probably one of the EXE files in the archive, as certain types of code commonly generate false positives with most virus software.

Google supposedly has a process for requesting a review of flagged files, but I have contacted them 3 or 4 times requesting a review and have never received a single response.
Yes of course they have a review process but what they fail to do is provide a guarantee response time. So they will eventually review the flag but it might take 3 or 4 years.

Intel P and E cores have been out for years too, started with the 12th gen CPUs that came out in 2021.
I know, but ARM was doing that 10 years earlier already.

I'm not following all that very closely, but I have the impression there isn't anything really new. They've seriously rearranged a lot of things, though.

Ouch!! Didn't see this coming: Totalrecalls can recall MS Recall data.

pibbuR who admits that he actually some time ago naively didn't see this coming, but now, thanks to several watchers do.
Apparently MS still don't see this coming.

One new (to me) issue comes up from one of the critics:
Windows PCs with Recall will be targeted by lawyers during discovery proceedings because they will provide access not just to email messages but conversations in any messaging or collaboration app, and possibly spoken conversations if speech-to-text data gets captured by Redmond's activity logger.

pibbuR who for once doesn't entirely trust what MS says. And who challenges the watch to discover the joke in this post.

Or as CodeProject says: All your art are belong to us

Users are faced with either agreeing to the new terms and being able to use the apps they handsomely pay Adobe for, or face being frozen out. Oh, and still pay, unless you cancel your service — which can come with financial penalties.

pibbuR who used to use Adobe's pdf reader. Used to.

I used to read PDF documents with Foxit, but it's so bugged it's not possible to print unless you disable all the security features, and sometimes it doesn't reopen documents automatically or forgets some of them.

Now I'm using SumatraPDF, which very light weight and works fine, though it's very basic. Sometimes, it doesn't paste text as well as Acrobat Reader (old LaTeX docs, for ex), but it's not something I do often.

I used to use xpdf but they stopped maintaining it so now i use evince though i could also use ghostview; i would never use adobe products which of course includes photoshop. It isn't just the cost of these products but the brain dead terms they introduce. Of course one should stay on course for gaming stuff so i feel the same way about EA and ubishit (which is far worse than EA) when one drill down into terms and how they feel about their customers. After all ubi didn't have nay problem locking all customers world wide from playing purchased games for a week when they upgraded hteir server.

Or as CodeProject says: All your art are belong to us

Users are faced with either agreeing to the new terms and being able to use the apps they handsomely pay Adobe for, or face being frozen out. Oh, and still pay, unless you cancel your service — which can come with financial penalties.

pibbuR who used to use Adobe's pdf reader. Used to.
This reminds me of a company back in the age of introducing TrueType in Windows 3.1 : If I recall this correctly, they wanted to have copyright on ANY text printed with THEIR fonts ...
It was a company I never heard of, and never heard of after that.