I'm up through the fifth episode of Fallout now, it's still not really resonating with me so I keep a book handy. Lucy does seem a less annoying now at least, though I'm not pleased that she and Maximus are currently teamed up. I need much more of Emerson, MacLachlan and Goggins!

7/10 for me. I'm hoping the second season is better. I want to see their version of ...
I'd rate it 8.5/10. I really think the show delivers :)

Besides the "words" in the spoiler tags you used above (which I replaced by "..." in this reply because IDK how the forum treats quoted Spoiler tags), I'm also interested in their version of
Supermutants and that triad of the most powerful Fallout 1 monsters - Deathclaws, Centaurs and Floaters (though I think the latter is too alien to be shown in the series)

View: https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1781334712650272813?s=46&t=C7l0yZ3RTCU5iCaYTkD1ZQ

Not sure how I missed that the dude behind the Fargo series is doing an Alien series. I’m curious.

30 years before the original? So Rippley’s crew isn’t the one to have made first contact with the xenomorph? That could be interesting. I just hope they’re not gonna do an origin story ans try and explain away the alien.

EDIT: interestingly, I’m not so sure ai hadn’t known about this. I think I might be losing my memory.

Last edited:
30 years before the original? So Rippley’s crew isn’t the one to have made first contact with the xenomorph? That could be interesting.
At first I thought it was strange, since there is very much a feeling of it being the first time contact was made, but then I realized that Weytani knew about the alien already, so there must have been a prior incident.

This makes me think that there will be no survivors in Hawley's film.

At first I thought it was strange, since there is very much a feeling of it being the first time contact was made, but then I realized that Weytani knew about the alien already, so there must have been a prior incident.

This makes me think that there will be no survivors in Hawley's film.
The way I remember is that the company didn't know about the Xenomorph until Ash (the android) notified them. I feel like it's being retconned.

The way I remember is that the company didn't know about the Xenomorph until Ash (the android) notified them. I feel like it's being retconned.
No, not true. The company directed them specifically to LV-whatever to investigate the shipwreck because they knew the alien was there, in hopes that a crewmember would be impregnated and Ash could help get it back to Earth.

Yeah it reads more of a retcon to me than a new adventure that somehow happened before the events of Alien. And sure, it could also be that no one survives yet, in this day in age, sequels seem to be all the rage so it would seem odd that Alien: Romulus would just be a one-shot. I do like and enjoy most of Hawley's works, specifically Legion, Fargo, and three of his books that I've read. I simply hope for a good film that makes sense.

No, not true. The company directed them specifically to LV-whatever to investigate the shipwreck because they knew the alien was there, in hopes that a crewmember would be impregnated and Ash could help get it back to Earth.
I'm not sure if I'm mixing up the movie with the flash-back scene from Alien: Isolation, but were they sent there by the company? Didn't they detect the hails of a beacon? Or did this happen in Prometheus? God, my memory is a jumbled mess on this.

I'm not sure if I'm mixing up the movie with the flash-back scene from Alien: Isolation, but were they sent there by the company? Didn't they detect the hails of a beacon? Or did this happen in Prometheus? God, my memory is a jumbled mess on this.
They picked up a distress call, reported that to the company, which told them to investigate it. They were deep space truckers, not scientists or explorers. When one attaches itself to Kane, Ash (because he knows about the alien, and he only would at that point if the company did) countermands Ripley's order and lets Kane, Lamber and Dallas in without quarantine, with the purpose of capturing the alien specimen.

It was the ship's computer, Mother, that picked up the signal. There's nothing that indicates the company knew about it beforehand. At least not in that film.

Some would say that Weyland knew about Xenomorphs because of the events in AvP, but that's only if you recognize those films as canon, and I don't think many people do. I know I certainly don't.

I certainly agree about AvP not being canon in the Alien universe, no fans of the franchise that I know consider them such. I always assumed that someone was directing Mother, having access to her logs from outside the vessel, not sure if I made that up in my head or got in from the novelization. Those first three books by Foster were well worth reading.

We watched the first episode of Fallout. I loved it but she didn't so it's a show I'll be watching on my own. From the comments here it looks like episode 2 isn't the greatest but I just can't see me not liking it. And Walton Goggins became my of my favorite people ever after seeing Vice Principals.

Goggins is mostly what I'm enjoying about Fallout so far, five episodes in and both Kyle and Michael have hardly been on. I keep hoping it will improve.

I saw it with my daughter a couple months ago. The ship picked up a distress signal which knocked them out of sleep and protocol was that they had to check it out. It seemed random/chance, or at least it wasn't obviously or blatantly stated anywhere going to the distress signal was all a setup. If it was, it completely went over my head. Once they found it was aliens and Ash talked to the computer in the special room, that seemed when the corp started pulling strings.

I saw it with my daughter a couple months ago. The ship picked up a distress signal which knocked them out of sleep and protocol was that they had to check it out. It seemed random/chance, or at least it wasn't obviously or blatantly stated anywhere going to the distress signal was all a setup. If it was, it completely went over my head. Once they found it was aliens and Ash talked to the computer in the special room, that seemed when the corp started pulling strings.
I think Ridley Scott meant for it to be ambiguous in the film and that it was later retconned.

In the novelization (released after the film), they made it clear that the company knew something.

The scene where the survivors talk to Ash's severed head is significantly longer. Notably, Ash confirms that the company had deciphered the signal coming from the moon in advance, that they knew about the Alien, and that they had at least some idea of what the crew were walking into. In the film, this is never outright confirmed.

With all due respect, it went over your head.

He described it exactly as it happens, so I'm not sure what went over his head.
So did I. Are you going to ignore the part about Ash letting the infected crewmember in against Ripley's orders, or are you just wrong about why that happened?

The script also goes out of the way to tell us that Ash was a late replacement to the crew, a move forced on Dallas by the company. Why was Ash there in the first place? The ONLY reason is because the company knew about the xenomorph and Ash was placed on the crew to make sure an alien came back with them.