What was your first computer RPG?

We had a thread like this in 2007.
Edit: I always forget, whether Fallout or Baldur's Gate was my first one. I am sure I posted it somewhere, but that must have been in even another thread...
Edit 2: Found the thread, where I posted that, it was about the age, at which people started to play RPGs and obviously therefore contains people's first RPGs...
Yeah, I took that poll and it seems I was the sole entry in the 50-59 age group. :)

I think it was Might & Magic 1, though it may have been Ultima 5 or Pool of Radiance. Can't be 100% sure of the order I played them in. Definitely those 3 games put me on the lifelong path.

I think somebody mentioned Diablo in the previous posts, so it should be quite safe to consider Atic Atac on ZX Spectrum cRPG as well.
It was open world (open atic) RPG with character choice at beginning 🙃.

Real RPGs were probably Dungeon Master and Black Crypt on my Amiga 500.
Loved that computer ...

I think somebody mentioned Diablo in the previous posts, so it should be quite safe to consider Atic Atac on ZX Spectrum cRPG as well.
It was open world (open atic) RPG with character choice at beginning 🙃.

Real RPGs were probably Dungeon Master and Black Crypt on my Amiga 500.
Loved that computer ...
I almost mentioned Atic Atac, Ghost 'n Goblins, and Gauntlet on Spectrum. But I deleted them since they didn't look similar to an RPG like Gothic (*). I don't care, they were damn fun anyway. :)

(*) Since you can't even choose your character at the start, in Gothic :ROFLMAO:

When I bought my first computer, a C64, the first games I bought for it were Ultima III and Zork II.
Enchanter is one of the first games I bought for my C64.

I never did so (fortunately), but I remember serioiusly considering buying a C128 just so I could play the handful of Infocom games that were only on that and not the C64 (Trinity among them, iirc). I ended up getting the Lost Treasures collections down the road when I had an IBM clone.

I almost mentioned Atic Atac, Ghost 'n Goblins, and Gauntlet on Spectrum. But I deleted them since they didn't look similar to an RPG like Gothic (*). I don't care, they were damn fun anyway. :)
Never heard of Atic Atac, but I loved Gauntlet and Ghost'n Goblins when I was a kid.

My friends and I would ride our bikes up to a local store that had an arcade version of Gauntle. I think Ghost'n Goblins was the first game I purchased for the original NES. That started a long running love affair with Capcom which remains one of the few Japanese developers I like.

(*) Since you can't even choose your character at the start, in Gothic :ROFLMAO:
Im sure there were some more sophisticated RPG-like games on Spectrum. But gaming behind iron curtain did not involve original games with manuals, and it involved only self-learned english. I remeber there were many games I just didnt figure out at all. Also didnt help I was like 6-9 years old :)

My friends and I also pumped coins* into Gauntlet (and Gauntlet II when it came along). Fun times :)
*Over here that was 20c coins. I imagine it was quarters in the US?
Correct quarters $0.25. We use to have freinds gather at an arcade and spend over $30 dollars in one day. Fun times to bad arcades are all but extinct nowadays.

I was a console gamer (Zelda stands out in my memory) but had a new home PC for work reasons. 1998 I think.
Baldurs Gate 1 was the game changer, I had a younger lodger who said he thought I might like it and handed me his discs. If lodger had not handed me those discs imagine all the cakes I would have baked and sweaters I could have knitted.

If I could get all my quarters back that I pumped into pinball and video games back in the seventies and eighties, well, I'd have a damn load of quarters, lol!

Enchanter is one of the first games I bought for my C64.

I never did so (fortunately), but I remember serioiusly considering buying a C128 just so I could play the handful of Infocom games that were only on that and not the C64 (Trinity among them, iirc). I ended up getting the Lost Treasures collections down the road when I had an IBM clone.
The Enchanter trilogy is terrific - even better than Zork!

Before I bought my first personal computer an Army buddy of mine had a C64, and when we talked about Colossal Cave on the Wang word processor in our office (a game that totally fascinated me), he invited me to come over to his house to play some games. Enchanter was one of them, and so was Ultima II. This was around 1984. When I left active duty in 1985 and returned home I bought my first C64 (and later, a C128, an Amiga, and finally I had to move on to a PC when Ultima VII came out exclusive to that platform). Ultima III was the first game I ever beat.

Infocom and Ultima are what got me into home computers and RPGs, they were so inspirational. And they remain among my top favorites all these years later. Nothing has ever quite captured the same feeling as the Ultima series.

I don't know of you could really call Colossal Cave an RPG. If all we need is swords and monsters, though, then Atari Adventure would be my first RPG.

The first game I would call an RPG would be either Eamon Adventures or Ultima 2. I can't remember whether I found Eamon first or finally managed to save up the money (and work up the nerve) to buy Ultima 2. I think that game was something like $40, which would be $125 in today's money.

My very first PC was an 486SX25 , which got later replaced by an DX.
No coprocessor included.

I can't remember if I played Diablo1 or BG2 first but it is BG2 that made me get into computer gaming :)

First I remember is The Bard's Tale 1. I was a wee demon, sitting in my grandfather's lap, watching him play, and eventually that turned into me playing the Bard's Tale trilogy annually for a time. The first one I played on my own was Phantasie III: The Wrath of Nikademus. I wouldn't actually beat it until much later though.

First RPG I ever beat was Champions of Krynn. Yet another iteration of the excellent Gold Box engine. The first JRPG I ever beat was Dragon Warrior, which was fun if a bit of a grind.

My first RPG was actually Phantasie 2, followed by Ultima 5 and then Bard's Tale 3. I caught up on the earlier games later.

Back
Top Bottom