Tech news

pibbuR who claims that 234*10^9 NOK is not enough to make him use google search.
36% of the revenue seems fine, I suppose, but I'm shocked by the absolute number. From the first article they're referring to, it looks like it could be the annual revenue Apple got at some point and not the total revenue since the deal was made.

Last October, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella testified that the agreement between Apple and Google has made it impossible for search engines like Bing to compete. Microsoft at one point wanted Apple to buy Bing, but Apple was not interested.
This must sting since Microsoft is usually very fair when competing. ;)

Edge? Chrome? Firefox? Brave? Something else?

And the winner is:

"Hazel, who prefers not to share her last name, is what you'd call a hardcore Firefox fan and self-proclaimed "tab hoarder."
pibbuR who posted this using his current 1 tab open Firefox installation
"

PS: Said Hazel (allegedly) "recently posted a screenshot showing a mind-boggling 7,470 tabs open simultaneously in the Mozilla browser" No doubt using a ultra-ultra widescreen monitor. DS

Is it? I haven't noticed. It's good enough for me.

pibbuR who tends to not paying attention to things like that and therefore he hasn't compared it to other browsers.
Maybe it's been improved since last time I used it, which was long ago. I think the most noticeable was the videos.

Since you tested it a long time ago, perhaps better hardware makes slower software seem good enough? I assume (may be wrong) that for videos, as long as correct framerate is achieved and no hiccups, faster software won't improve things?

pibbuR who may (once again) be speaking without thinking

Last edited:
Since you tested it a long time ago, perhaps better hardware makes slower software seem good enough? I assume (may be wrong) that for videos, as long as correct framerate is achieved and no hiccups, faster software won't improve things?

pibbuR who may (once again) be speaking without thinking
I've downloaded it to try again, who knows. I like Brave because it hides all the annoying cookie pop-ups and (hopefully) defaults to accepting essentials only; those pop-ups are the most annoying thing when browsing.

A quick check shows FF tends to use slightly more memory and more CPU vs less GPU when playing videos, compared to Chrome, but I didn't find anything really shocking.

On the other hand, it's getting some Rust code, so there's that. ;)

I'm using Firefox for general browsing. It's solid most of the time. There's slowdown sometimes, especially since I tend to have a bunch of tabs open, but I can live with it.
And Brave for youtube or anything I need ads blocked. It's builtin adblocker is in a league of its own.

I haven't used Firefox in years. I'm too lazy these days to worry about which browser I'm using as long as it works well. I know a lot of people don't like Chrome because they feel like it's less private or whatever, but that's all I've used now for the last 5 or so years. I often have 30+ tabs open, and it's never glitched or slowed down for me.

Back
Top Bottom