Tell a story about a time you did something unbelievably dense

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Just thought this might be a fun topic for a Friday night, know what I mean?

Ok, this story is "infamous" with me and my best friend, just because he couldn't believe it actually happened when I told him, and how he never lets me forget it, lol

So this incident happened I would say around 20 years ago. I was walking to my local neighborhood store. And I saw what looked like a dead animal in some bark dust along the side of the store, but you had to be looking at it to really notice it, you could only see it from an angle, if you understand. So I wanted to report to animal control, because I was thinking having that next to a store, must be a health hazard. I don't remember if it was a dog or cat or rat, just that it was a dead animal lying there.

Anyway, so I am on the phone with the animal control person, who was a she and she was a "mature" sounding lady, and then I - honest to God - completely forgot what the name for bark dust was. I am not making this up. So I had to try and describe it, so she would understand where the dead animal was at. So this is what I came up with,
"it's uhhh, laying in that brown stuff, you know, that stuff they put in yards?"
"Bark Dust??" she asked quizzically, with a tone like, (how the hell could you not know what bark dust is!) (lol)
"Yea, that's right, bark dust", I replied, somewhat sheepishly.

Anyway, she dispatched the animal control truck to the area after that, and it was taken care of. So I told my friend about it the next day, to which he was laughing for at least 5 minutes straight or so, and basically has been reminding me about it and laughing about it ever since.

Have you ever had that happen, where for some unknown reason, you forgot the name of someone or something, that you should have known, and it was particularly embarrassing?

Let us know if you feel like telling us about it. (its all in good fun, I promise) :LOL:

Last edited:
This morning I woke up, after feeding the baby, I put instant coffee and sugar in a mug. Then added cold milk and was about to drink it when I realised what I had done.

Unfortunately this type of stupidity happens a lot to me when I have sleep deprivation due to baby waking up at 4am...

I probably have one story a week of this kind of thing happening to me.

Forgetting words happens a lot to me because my mother tongue is French, but oddly enough my mom's mother tongue is Spanish. I was never formally educated in French so when I speak French I forget words.
Dutch was the language I used in school from the age of 4 or whatever until 18 but never at home, nor with many Francophone friends. So when I speak Dutch I forget words.
English was my third language which I only learnt at school properly from ages of 13 or so. I then went on to study in English and living in England for 15 plus years. Still many words tend to slip my mind just as I need them.

What do you mean with "dense" ? Stupidity is normal to me. There always happens something.

I'm easily distracted.

In a recent and embarrassing episode, I had to pay a call on acquaintances to bring them documents they needed. I was eager to go, because they were living where I grew up, my parents having moved house not long ago. As you can imagine, I was curious to see what they had done with the place after months of renovation. Would I still recognize the house where I had spent so many years? Would I like what they did?

But after arriving and getting out of the car, I realized I had left the documents home, carefully prepared and ready on my desk... To add to my mortification, they were kind enough to receive me with cake and tea, after cleaning up all the rooms so I could visit them.

I do stupid stuff all the time.

Last week, I was meeting some friends for dinner/Videodrome, and had offered to give them my PS4 a few weeks before. So first, I completely spaced bringing the console, and luckily my friend mentioned it so I still had time to gather it up.

But when I disconnected it, what I thought was the power cord was actually an HDMI cable (one not plugged into my TV). I went and got another HDMI cable from another room. He messaged me later, asking where they could find a power cable. I was like, it's in there. But it wasn't. I gave them those two HDMI cables and no power cord.

All of that plus I meant to give them my copy of Spider-Man and still managed to forget that.

If my head wasn't attached, etc.

I was late to work, because the tram had - once again - its problems. I was about to call up my collegues, but then I realized that I had my cell phone still lying there at home, just unplugged from loading.

Once, I went home from work with still having my safety work shoes on.

Once I was at home, and realized that my bread box was still at work.

I can relate with the cell phone one...I'm so paranoid about my cell phone because:

1. - It was expensive - not the very highest model but close. (I actually had to pay for it in installments, believe it or not! lol)

2. There is a lot of personal notes and private, sensitive info on it like all my passwords and so on, and I don't want to lose my cell phone. (Of Course, I have it set to always lock screen when I don't use it!)

A few years back, hubby and I went to a zoo for a day. We had a lot of fun, so I was reflecting on our adventure at home as I was playing with a stuffed animal toy (leopard) we bought from the zoo. Then I blurted out a question to hubby "this is leopard chicken, right?"

There was a silence for a few seconds before my hubby bursted out laughter. I didn't quite figure out why he was laughing for a while lol. At that moment when I asked that silly question, I was thinking of a mother wild chicken at the zoo who gave us a death stare when we approached a bit too close her young ones lol.

Well, we call that stuffed animal toy leopard chicken now lol.

I tend to speak stuff in my brain without passing the... check at home XD

Sometimes I talk to hubby in Korean and wonder why he looks at me funny (he is not Korean lol)

My mother also did a few things.
Most memorable is that story she told us about her being in a journey to Berlin via train. She went to the ... toilet ... and then flushed it. The train came to an halt.
She was afterwards told, that what she had believed to be the thing to flush the toilet was an emergency brake.

Last year I learned something similar. I saw a small child going through the train, alone. Which I found suspicious.
Not much later, she came back. And then, I heard through the loudspeakers that the train employees should check an emergency call coming from a toilet.
But there was nothing.
Much later, I had to use a toilet there. All of them being built with the same standardised layout, I found that the flush button was very close to the emergency button. Plus, the flush button had a sign on it which I could only hardly interpret as "flushing".

That's why I prefer planes to trains; they don't have an emergency brake in the toilet!! :greengrin:

In DDO, there's a quest which contains an animal called a "dense deer". :biggrin:
( @ Team Corwin : "Needle in a Feystack" )

Back
Top Bottom