What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Because prequels are have a small amount of predictability i.e. you know all the main characters are going to survive etc which takes out some of the tension. There is also the fact that you often can't use the same actors unless you film the movies back to back. Fury Road is nine years old so if the movie is set a year before the characters "should" look 10 years younger.

If it is a just chronological prequel with different characters rather than a prequel story that is less of an issue.
Yeah, if the point was about prequels and not just about another movie, then yeah, I agree. A sequel would be better.

I love Scarlett Johansson, but that looks awful.

Also, if it actually is pushing that stupid conspiracy theory, I hope the film fails miserably.
I'm betting the movie's about filming the moon landing just in case the real mission failed, but the real mission ends up being successful. I just don't see a big budget film in Hollywood being greenlit about the moon landing being faked. I have no opinion, knowledge, or interest in the moon landing either way. I grew up reading about intergalactic space battles and NASA and reality has never been able to compete with that.

I grew up reading about intergalactic space battles and NASA and reality has never been able to compete with that.
NASA has actually defended Earth from multiple alien invasions. The government likes to keep that on the down-low, but I saw a post on Facebook that explained the whole thing.

I have no opinion, knowledge, or interest in the moon landing either way. I grew up reading about intergalactic space battles and NASA and reality has never been able to compete with that.

Knowing the NASA did it for real with the technology they had back then is more mind-blowing to me than any sci-fi. But I have to admit I'm somewhat of a geek. :)

Knowing the NASA did it for real with the technology they had back then is more mind-blowing to me than any sci-fi. But I have to admit I'm somewhat of a geek. :)
Star Wars episode 4 took place long, long ago. The technology they had back then is way more mind-blowing. They had a death star vaporizing planets. Decades before that, a mostly-robot general with a name way cooler than Armstrong was able to double dual-wield lightsabers.

Edited since the first episode is 4 not 1.

Last edited:
Last night I rewatched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I've probably seen this film a dozen times and yet it never gets dull. The opening sequence is still one of the very best, imo.

Last night I rewatched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I've probably seen this film a dozen times and yet it never gets dull. The opening sequence is still one of the very best, imo.
The ending with that amazing gun fight too. I haven't seen this movie nearly as many times as you have, but for the respective leads, I've seen Cool Hand Luke and Three Nights of the Condor about a dozen times each. If you haven't, I'm almost certain you'll love both.

I think I kept hearing about it in pop-culture references. I never know if it’s a western, and those two are a pair of bank robbers like bonnie and clyde. Or if they’re in it’s a western and those are a whiteman and an native american.

I rewatched Valhalla Rising, which I kind of forgot completely. It’s enjoyable and looks great, but it is also kind of hyper-realistic in that it doesn’t have any grand plot. Moreso what would most probably happen with a band of christian wanderers and a viking exile.

Will probably keep at this setting until Hellblade releases.

The ending with that amazing gun fight too. I haven't seen this movie nearly as many times as you have, but for the respective leads, I've seen Cool Hand Luke and Three Nights of the Condor about a dozen times each. If you haven't, I'm almost certain you'll love both.
I watched Three Days of the Condor after seeing it recommended by the creator of Mr. Robot. Excellent spy film. And rarely one that doesn’t glorify these spy agencies.

I watched Three Days of the Condor after seeing it recommended by the creator of Mr. Robot. Excellent spy film. And rarely one that doesn’t glorify these spy agencies.
I haven't seen this, and it sounds great. Thanks for the rec.
As for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, yeah, that's a bona fide classic. First saw it when I was very young (late 70s?) when my father borrowed a projector from work and we watched it on a portable screen.

Yes indeed, the gun battle at the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is also magnificent!

And yes, Three Days of the Condor is an amazing film. I recently rewatched that one also a few months back.

I watched the comedy roast of Tom Brady on Netflix. Eh...it's ok I guess. I'm a fan of Brady, but the roast is way too long, and a lot of the speakers were people who aren't very good at comedy. Also, some of them went on for much too long. The entire thing clocks in at 3 hours, and I feel like it should have been 2 at the most.

It is a very good movie and leans towards being more realistic in a lot of ways but it is also slow pace for those who want action rather than pay attention to details.

Back
Top Bottom