Risen - System Specs Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
While we haven't seen any official PR, PC Games Hardware says they have the system specs for Risen. Here we go:
Risen System Requirements:
Required Hardware Specifications:
• CPU: 2.0 GHz
• GPU: Direct X 9.1; Pixel Shader 3.0; 256 MB (GeForce 7900 - ATI 1800)
• RAM: 1 GB
• Hard disk: ~2.5 GB

Recommended System Specifications:
• OS Win XP or Vista
• CPU: 3.0 GHz Dual Core
• GPU: Direct X 9.1; Pixel Shader 3.0; 512 MB (GeForce 8800 - ATI Radeon HD 2900)
• RAM: 2 GB
• Hard disk: ~2.5 GB
More information.

I missed that on the first read through, very odd.

Frontier: Elite II fit on a single floppy disc and was massive for it's time from what I've heard (never played it myself, was before my gaming time). And the first CD-ROMs were mostly filled with bloat. Ergo: size does not equal content.

I'm happy to hear it is only 2.5 GB large since my HDD has only 80 GB and is always full :p

Some games, e.g. Beyond Good and Evil, had a high amount of gigabytes because they installed the voice overs for all five or six languages ... others have different texture sizes at once for old and new computers. Also think of ingame videos: rendered videos are naturally way bigger than animations presented through the engine.

Some games, e.g. Beyond Good and Evil, had a high amount of gigabytes because they installed the voice overs for all five or six languages ... others have different texture sizes at once for old and new computers. Also think of ingame videos: rendered videos are naturally way bigger than animations presented through the engine.

Sure, I get all that. And was expecting it to not be that big. But come one, 2.5 gigs is like aprox 4 CDs. G2 + NOTR were on 3 CDs. I don't get it. I would say nothing if it were a 2.5 compressed copy. But 2.5 gigs of required hard-drive space? After it's been decompress and installed? That's so 2003. :p

Hm, 2.5 gigabytes is suspicious.
Game probably requires a lot of piranha bytes.

Gothic 3 is only 3.2 gigs and that's after the 1gig patch.

Oh ho! 3GHz dual core recommended. That sure isn't 2003! I've only got 2.66GHz. About fargin' time a game's recommended stats passed me up. (Though it normally happens to my video card first.)

uhn if they dont give support to MP they are lost.
________
Acura Vigor

Last edited:
The amount of hd space a game takes up depends on the game not when it is made. Both neverwinter nights games take up a huge amount of space compared to other games released at the same time and had worse graphics then those games also.

Different games are more optimized in space requirements then others or don't install very much extra stuff that is not needed.

Funny: I can play almost most of the newest game, except my video card is too low: a 5700 FX with 128mb. For the rest my specs are still standing

New vid card? I just probably buy a whole new rig soon,which can last a few years.
But first I need to find a job since I am graduated now :p

What the hell? That small? Only 2.5 gigs? That's as small as they come nowadays. Dragon Age is supposed to occupy aroud 15 gigs iirc. I hope they didn't hold back on the content.
It's fairly big if they don't rely on video clips or uber-resolution for image textures.

2.5 GB that is really small!!! however maybe there is some content not on hard-drive, it is definetely possible to put some things on DVD, like if they have movies...... or certain sound and or music, DVD can be fast enouh to stream it. It might also be they are using very modern formats for everything, like even the installed version is compressed.... with new tech, you can even send compressed stuff to GPU etc to save bandwidth......

Funny: I can play almost most of the newest game, except my video card is too low: a 5700 FX with 128mb. For the rest my specs are still standing

Are you serious??? You have a 3.0GHz dual core and only a 5700 FX with 128MB? Where and when did you buy this? I can imagine you would have a single core 3GHz (but that's entirely different from the dual core) with this video card. If this is the case, a complete new rig is in order

Probably, the reason for the limited size has to do with the textures.

Since they're releasing on consoles, they might not have made enhanced textures for PCs - and will simply release it with those made to fit the (comparitively) very limited video memory of the consoles. It's common enough, though many developers tend to make higher resolution textures just for the PC version - because it's relatively trivial to do.

But since PB tend to use streaming a lot for their seamless worlds, they must have been quite restricted, by both the limited memory capacity AND the inability to store data on a harddisk for streaming access. In effect, they'd have to prepare the engine for a variety of texture sizes and access times and that's not necessarily a trivial thing to do, if everything has to come together for a smooth experience.

Other common reasons include:

Few, if any, cinematic sequences
Efficient compression, particularly in terms of sound/voice
Intelligent application/recycling of art assets

Of course, in the end, it COULD mean a small world with limited content - but none of us want to believe that :)

Back
Top Bottom