Software recommendations for my new PC

jakebaker13

Watchdog
First off let me say I am sorry for opening so many new threads here in the past week, I've just found that out of the three forums I belong to you all are all the most well-written and non-judgmental of the bunch and I appreciate the help you've all given me.

So on to the topic: I have been compiling a list of the software I will need when my PC arrives here in mid November. This is what I have so far:

CCcleaner: ($25) http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Defraggler: ($25) http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Acronis True Image Home 2011: ($50) http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATIH20...s true image&gclid=CP3X6teejaUCFUVJ5wodLUAHZg

DriverAgent: (Free) http://www.driveragent.com/gigabytepromo.php

If anyone can make any recommendations or comment on what I have listed that would be great. I don't know much about DriverAgent other than it automatically updates drivers. Would this route be advisable or should I just do this manually?

Also I have heard that MacAfee (My Anti-Virus) takes a lot of processing power to run and may hinder my game performance. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this and if so do you have any recommendations?

You don't need to pay for CCleaner, the free edition is good enough. I'd also suggest MyDefrag instead of Defraggler (Also free).

As for your protection, I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Microsoft Security Essentials and SpyBot: Search & Destroy - All free (or free editions) and I've not had any problem worth mentioning in, well, years. A good browser (Firefox) with common sense will do more for protecting your PC than any number of anti-virus programmes.

This could turn into a huge discussion..

Basically you need to read our excellent freeware software thread which has links to the best stuff. It might be a bit outdated most programs are still vital.
Windows, Office and Photoshop aside you can get almost everything you need without paying a dime(unless you're a professional). For every proprietary software you might want there's a freeware(or even opensource) that's just as good or even better.
I'd compile a list of my favorite software but in that thread you can find a bunch of links to sites that have plenty up-to-date top 10 lists.

In useability or in data security?

Data security. I love the useability of it. Best I have used. I'm not aware how secure Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari is. Thats where I could use some help.

also: does Microsoft security Essentials only work in explorer or does it work in other browsers?

also: does Microsoft security Essentials only work in explorer or does it work in other browsers?
I have it working fine with Firefox. It warns me if I come across malicious files, but Firefox itself is pretty good at warning you if you've stumbled onto an unsafe website.

Here is a list of the software I plan on using:

CCcleaner
Defraggler
Acronis True Image Home 2011
DriverAgent
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials

Now the question is this: would i need both Malwarbytes AND Microsoft Security Essentials? (Don't they do the same thing?) Or do I even need either of them with Kaspersky?

You seem to be adamant on paying for software you don't need when there's perfectly good free solutions out there.

Microsoft Security Essentials would be used in place of Kaspersky. I've found that it's best to have two programmes (Or three in my case) to fend off malicious software, but MSE is the only one I have running permanently (with absolutely no performance hit), both in and out of games. No pop-ups to worry about, no updates to force - It's brilliant. I run Malwarebytes and Spybot every so often, but I don't have them running all the time as it's pointless.

So there would be no need for anything like Avira or anything like that if I used Microsoft Security Essentials? I'm sorry if I'm just not getting it through my head. I just want to make sure my computer is protected is all. I guess I am just wondering if Microsoft Security Essentials protects against Viruses and Malware in real time.

Data security. I love the useability of it. Best I have used. I'm not aware how secure Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari is. Thats where I could use some help.
Why would you even consider using a Google product? I would never do this, with the exception of the search engine, which is unfortunately the best out there. But on the other hand, your personal data is certainly 100% safe in Big Brother's hands.

Only uninformed newbies and big companies lead by idiots use IE. Chrome should also be disqualified. Same for the Apple product.

The only serious options on PC are Firefox and Opera. I prefer Opera because I like the more comfortable controls (mouse gestures, open page in background tab) and the easier customization. It's just a matter of taste, though. Both are perfectly fine. I think out of the box Opera is better, but installing a couple of plug-ins for
Firefox is pretty simple.

So there would be no need for anything like Avira or anything like that if I used Microsoft Security Essentials? I'm sorry if I'm just not getting it through my head. I just want to make sure my computer is protected is all. I guess I am just wondering if Microsoft Security Essentials protects against Viruses and Malware in real time.
You're overthinking this. Every program you install makes your PC a little bit slower. Plus you can't be sure competing security programs don't get in each other's way.
Install one security suite. Then download other stuff when you need it. Most software you can buy now will be outdated when you actually use it. So just don't buy it now.

Personally, for software I use regularly I upgrade to the commercial version, mainly because I want the people behind to stay in business. Or donate if that's an option.

As for web browser and secutiry: Firefox has a gem of an addon: Noscript which makes selective controle of javascript a bliss. Do any of the other browsers have similar (in features and in user interface) components?

Only uninformed newbies and big companies lead by idiots use IE.

Not necessarily idiots. I work at an IT department serving > 10 hospitals, 20 000 users and > 10 000 PCs. We have to standarize on the platform, the software used, including addons. At a hospital we also use highly specialized software and some of those specific demands regarding supporting software components like browsers, word processors and such. We have standarized on Windows, IE, Office, and I'm not sure we could do otherwise.

I wouldn't recommend IE to anyone if they had a choice. Personally I use Firefox.

Last edited:
Why would you even consider using a Google product? I would never do this, with the exception of the search engine, which is unfortunately the best out there. But on the other hand, your personal data is certainly 100% safe in Big Brother's hands.

Only uninformed newbies and big companies lead by idiots use IE. Chrome should also be disqualified. Same for the Apple product.

The only serious options on PC are Firefox and Opera. I prefer Opera because I like the more comfortable controls (mouse gestures, open page in background tab) and the easier customization. It's just a matter of taste, though. Both are perfectly fine. I think out of the box Opera is better, but installing a couple of plug-ins for
Firefox is pretty simple.

I had been using Firefox since version 1 came out. I was amazed at how good it was compared to IE, not only was it faster at the time, but it had all these fancy features which most other browsers didn't have at the time (plug-ins, tabs...)

However, the newer versions of Firefox are sluggish, take up a lot of resources, crash, and are even slower when lots of tabs are open.

The uni of Melbourne has like 4 browsers on most of its PCs and so I tried Chrome, and it beat Firefox by miles in speed and resource usage.
So I started using it at home. It hasn't crashed even once yet, is faster than both IE and Firefox and I have yet to encounter anything truly bad about it.

Big Brother is watching you anyway, so unless you're going to actually fight it, it's not like Google is taking your information and then coming to visit your house to ask why you searched for a coco pops with marshmallows online ....

Big Brother is watching you anyway, so unless you're going to actually fight it, it's not like Google is taking your information and then coming to visit your house to ask why you searched for a coco pops with marshmallows online ….

Sorry, but the dangers of combining pools of data on real persons are well documented. G's business is collecting, combining and using user data, especially in combination with their ad business. I have zero intention to voluntarily give them one piece of information more than absolutely necessary.
So Chrome might be the objectively best browser, but it's still no option for me.
Without Opera I would probably be happy with FF.

—————————————
I'm not aware of a flexible JavaScript add-on for other browsers. I've got something installed for Opera which filters out flash and some evil web stuff. Unfortunately it works on a global level.
Add-ons like this are exactly what makes Firefox attractive, despite the chaotic and inflexible options menu and the (out of the box) limited controls.

One of my little projects for this pc was to have all free utility software, so everything here is free or the free version.
as far as security goes, I have a pretty good defense going that has kept me safe. I regularly scour the darkest bowels of the web, and it's held up thus far -

Avira free antivirus
- it can be a little naggy once and awhile but it does the job. A virus has never gotten past it to this computer. Ive put it on infected computers and it's cleaned them up well.
Zonealarm firewall - Ive just always used it. Is there anything else? ='.'=
Spybot Search and Destroy antispyware - run the "immunize" feature, there's a couple other nifty things as well.
Superantispyware - works well for me, always catches things that others dont.
Malwarebytes - a more recent addition to the setup that sold me during fighting malware at work. Has good detection and a nice "file assassin" tool for deleting locked files.

Every weekend I run them all at once, it's a glorious sight to see them all scanning away at once and my machine just having no problem whatsoever handling it. Even more glorious when they all come up clean!

While these things all have great removal functions, I havent had to use them on my own personal PC because Avira/zonealarm pretty much stops everything before it even reaches my pc. On client's computers tho and our work fleet, where noobs have no clue what theyre doing, I use all them frequently and they serve me well in getting rid of malware. That said, no security program is perfect. Nothing replaces good computing habits. Dont be a dummy when youre surfing and doing email, make sure you know the difference between legit warnings and fake malware warnings, etc.

For maintenance, I run CCleaner and once and a while Defraggler.

When it come to browser, I'm now totally sold on Firefox and have been using it pretty much exclusively here and at work. I like it for everything but FTP. I'll let other people go thru the laundry list of better things. Lets just say it's better, more configurable, under less attack, and quite frankly its more fun to use. Doesnt that count for anything?

It's time to move on from simple windows Explorer for file management. I recommend Free Commander, or Explorer ++. The latter does not even require an install.

For PDF software, I go Foxit, and for office docs I use Open Office, it handles all xls, doc, ppt, etc. Dont pay for MS Office, please. Destroy their stranglehold for once and for all on the office document world!

Sorry, but the dangers of combining pools of data on real persons are well documented. G's business is collecting, combining and using user data, especially in combination with their ad business. I have zero intention to voluntarily give them one piece of information more than absolutely necessary.
So Chrome might be the objectively best browser, but it's still no option for me.
Without Opera I would probably be happy with FF.

—————————————
I'm not aware of a flexible JavaScript add-on for other browsers. I've got something installed for Opera which filters out flash and some evil web stuff. Unfortunately it works on a global level.
Add-ons like this are exactly what makes Firefox attractive, despite the chaotic and inflexible options menu and the (out of the box) limited controls.

I know what you mean, but to be honest, it actually makes things even faster.
I don't know how it does, but unlike FF or IE, when I type start typing in a search for google, it sometimes automatically knows which website I'm looking for even though I haven't been on it. It's usually wiki but still.

Example:

I type : toyo in the address bar, then it comes up with 5 or so suggestions including toyota.com.au, google search for toyota and so on…

It just makes things much faster and easier.

Even takes away the step of going to google.com…

Might sound lazy of me, but it really is nice and are features I would miss if I'm on IE or FF now.

I've never tried Opera to be honest, I've usually stuck to the most mainstream browsers except for MyIE2 and Netscape (which then became mainstream before disappearing).

I wouldn't mind trying Opera out if you recommend it as faster and more secure than FF and IE. But for me as a casual user, speed and responsiveness is more important than security, until Google helps whichever I live in to arrest people…

EDIT : Gorath, do you think I should try Opera then ?

I tried Opera but I found a few things (Such as my online banking thing, for example) didn't work as well as I wanted them to so I basically gave up with it for the sake of convenience. FF isn't as good as it was, I'll agree, and it does like to "stop working" from time to time.

As for the above thingy about MSE and malware/spyware - I've always found it's best to have your standard antivirus (MSE for me) and at least one dedicated spyware scanner (Spybot) and one for malware (Used to use Ad-Aware, now use Malwarebytes) as the scan is more likely to find things. Having all three run simultaneously is pointless, though, and I think anti-virus suites are good enough to stop most/all immediate threats.

IE9 is acctually pretty good......

For anti-virus as always I would reccomend Avast.. I really like it.

Back
Top Bottom