Watch Dogs - can you run it?

I can run it on my laptop, but why would I want to? Games like this just don't interest me. It's pretty much deep RPG experience or bust for me.

...and because of their imbecillic decision not to allow manual savegame system on PC where a player could go for earlier save if the most recent one is corrupted, I wouldn't be happy.
It's the new "normal" to make the whole save system invisible - and I hate it most extensively. I really wish reviewers would start taking points off for doing this.

Ubisoft posted a note on official WD site about "hidden" resources on PC:
http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogs/en-us/news/index.aspx#

The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we’ve set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they’re released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game’s visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.

Thanks for playing Watch Dogs and stay safe on the mean streets of Chicago.

-The Watch Dogs Team

Whatta joke.
Performance issues? Ppl are reporting massively that mod not only enhances graphics but the game runs better with it.
IMO it looks like From Ashes case. And the only fair thing to say should be "we planned it to be cut out content DLC". On PC.

Noone cares? I guess because of the crap story and repetitive content the interest is gone.

But there is something this game does better than anything else on the market currently. The graphics.
A mod that unlocks so many things Ubisoft deliberately hide on PC. A photo collection of modded Watch Dogs:
http://deadendthrills.com/

I can't understand people who after seeing this still want to buy a console to play games. What type of a masochist are them?

What kind of universe do you live in where Watch Dogs is mediocre? Mention ten other games that did what it tried to do and better. You can't.

Why don't you tell me what it "tried to do" first?

Because, in my opinion, a game should try to entertain before anything else.

In that way, Watch Dogs is mediocre - nothing more, nothing less.

You want me to name ten games that are more entertaining?

If this isn't about being entertaining, then what does it matter what it tried to do? Rationalize that. You can't.

Now, where it did succeed was in terms of marketing and hype. That is how you make profitable AAA games today, afterall. Make a mediocre game with insane production values - and let the marketing department do the rest.

It worked on me, apparently.

It worked even better on you, since you can't even recognise how mediocre it obviously is.

It worked even better on you, since you can't even recognise how mediocre it obviously is.
He is too busy being contrary. Make a criticism of any game for any reason and here is Nigger Dick (how very puerile DN) arguing that you just don't know what you are talking about.

Oh, that "let's turn RPGwatch into RPGcodex" troll I've added on my ignorelist is back?

What's he doing outside of codex drama thread?

He is too busy being contrary. Make a criticism of any game for any reason and here is Nigger Dick (how very puerile DN) arguing that you just don't know what you are talking about.

Hehe, I don't mind the occasional troll. When they fail to argue their point in a rational manner, I consider it a victory for the rational state of mind ;)

Like in Skyrim?

Skyrim isn't a huge empty landscape with nothing but fluff. Skyrim has unique content that's worth exploring in nearly every single of the hundreds of locations.

Watch Dogs is a pretty but hollow world, not unlike the GTA games. Difference being that modern GTA games usually have much better writing and are consistent throughout.

If you want to compare Watch Dogs to a similar open world game, then Assassin's Creed is the perfect example.

Skyrim isn't a huge empty landscape with nothing but fluff. Skyrim has unique content that's worth exploring in nearly every single of the hundreds of locations.
There is plenty of locations to find and visit in Skyrim, but not sure if many are unique - I only played about 30 hours and many of the locations I discovered involved killing bandits/witches or samey dungeons. Maybe it gets better later.

Watch Dogs is a pretty but hollow world, not unlike the GTA games. Difference being that modern GTA games usually have much better writing and are consistent throughout.

I liked Vice City, and enjoyed many of the racing, challange and side stuff. If Watch Dogs is as good as Vice City then I am happy.

If you want to compare Watch Dogs to a similar open world game, then Assassin's Creed is the perfect example.

Many people liked the last iteration including yourself, so the formula is somewhat successful.

There is plenty of locations to find and visit in Skyrim, but not sure if many are unique - I only played about 30 hours and many of the locations I discovered involved killing bandits/witches or samey dungeons. Maybe it gets better later.

Nearly all dungeons have enemies to fight, so if that's being samey - it won't get better.

As I said, nearly every location has something unique that's worth finding - which doesn't mean every location will seem entirely unique at all. It just means there's a reason to keep exploring, unlike pretty much all other open world games of a similar scope.

That's because they had 8 people dedicated to doing NOTHING but dungeons for years.

Unfortunately, even Bethesda didn't have infinite resources - so dungeons can't all have unique assets. So, visually, they will share a certain look that will have a limited variety.

I liked Vice City, and enjoyed many of the racing, challange and side stuff. If Watch Dogs is as good as Vice City then I am happy.

I don't know what you mean by good here. It's a much more modern game with a much more elaborate technical sophistication.

It doesn't have the sense of style or place that Vice City had back upon release, though.

Many people liked the last iteration including yourself, so the formula is somewhat successful.

Sure, but they're still mediocre games with amazing production values. Unlike Skyrim - which is a fantastic game if you like open world freeform gameplay.

But that's just my opinion, nothing more.

Like in Skyrim?

Honestly, Watch Dogs shouldn't be compared with that game.
Sure, both are moddable and both got graphics overhaul mods and both got sales boosted when those mods got out…
But Skyrim was bug-o-rama and was never patched properly. Watch Dogs had almost no bugs on the release day.

It can be compared with FarCry3, also Ubisoft and a similar engine used.
Graphics is better in Watch Dogs.
But in FC3… Graphics is still awsome plus you can dive and fly wherever and whenever you want. In Watch Dogs you can't.
And the story in FC3 rocks while in WD it's like watching a bad B-movie. C-movie, in fact.

Basically it comes down to this. Do you like Transformers the movie more than Snowpiercer? If Transformers is your thing, skip FC3 and knock yourself out with Watch Dogs.

Well, whatever Watch Dogs is, it doesn't seem to be highly coveted by PC gamers. I just purchased a steam key from someone on Ebay for $16.

I'm debating on whether I should even install it before I put my new system together. Does it have a built-in benchmark?

If it does have one, I didn't see it.

Which card? If it's nvidia 680+, install it, turn graphics on high, apply the mod above, call your consoleloving friends over, watch them drool over it and then kick them out and just gloat. Don't mention it's in fact a dumb game within a shiny wrapping.

Well, whatever Watch Dogs is, it doesn't seem to be highly coveted by PC gamers. I just purchased a steam key from someone on Ebay for $16.

I'm debating on whether I should even install it before I put my new system together. Does it have a built-in benchmark?

No built in benchmark, I used the FPS monitor built in to nvidia expierence.

Joxer must be so preoccupied with skyrim bug that he's unable to see them in other games.

Watch dogs shipped with several bugs, mission stoppers, graphical glitches, stuttering when racing, hypersensitive controls when racing and the dreaded corrupted save ( which cost me 20 hrs of gameplay btw). On top of that were severe optimization problems and uplay activation problems galore.

I believe most, if not all have been patched but I'm not sure. I stopped playing after the corrupted save but do plan on going back to it once I'm sure issues are solved.

As for the game itself I found it to be quite fun. The highlight would be the stealth play. Clearing out hideouts by hacking, creating distractions to sneak by or headshoting them. I also found the invasions and invading to be pretty cool. It works pretty much the Sam as in dark souls but seems more balanced as there's no specific multiplayer build that will destroy you.

Keyboard mouse controls work well but I did keep a controller in my lap for driving areas. Switching between controller and m&k is effortless.

I can't comment on the story as I didn't get that far into in just 20 hrs. There's a lot to do if you want to do it. I also didn't feel that it got repetitive as some have said, or at least it didn't bother me in 20 hrs. Don't know if it would at 40 or 60.

I do wish that it handled melee combat like sleeping dog does ( which is excellent IMO) instead of the 1 button QTE's takedown.

For $16 it's a steal if they have all the issues worked out.

After jumping through hoops with Nvidia and Ubisoft for about 30 minutes, I finally got it installed and had a chance to play for awhile today.

You can see it's just a GTA clone within the first 30 minutes, but I like it. I think it's a lot slicker than GTA actually. The city feels much more alive than GTA imo, and it might be the most detailed city I've seen in a game up to this point.

Watch dogs shipped with several bugs, mission stoppers, graphical glitches, stuttering when racing, hypersensitive controls when racing and the dreaded corrupted save ( which cost me 20 hrs of gameplay btw). On top of that were severe optimization problems and uplay activation problems galore.

I believe most, if not all have been patched but I'm not sure. I stopped playing after the corrupted save but do plan on going back to it once I'm sure issues are solved.

I've only played it for a couple of hours, but I didn't encounter any graphical glitches and the vehicles control fine with keyboard and mouse. There was no stuttering while driving either.

Oddly enough, it's very playable on my rig on high settings, and I don't even meet the minimum requirements for RAM.

Anyways, I just wanted to try it. I probably won't get around to really playing it until after Divinity:OS. I'll have my new system put together by then and should be able to play on max settings.

Back
Top Bottom