General News - Demographics and "good" and "evil"

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Quantic Foundary have produced a study that looks into player preferences when playing rpgs. This study focused on faction preference in rpgs and looked at the data according to motivation scores, age and gender.

RPGs are known for creating deep narratives where players are able to immerse themselves in a compelling world and get lost in their "role". As developers seek to create more immersive worlds, characters have become more and more customizable. Not only can players choose what their character looks like, or their base stats and abilities, but also their ethics and moral code. Will their character be a champion of the helpless, or a power crazed tyrant?

While this mechanic has experienced a resurgence (Mass Effect, inFamous, Bioshock, and Knights of the Old Republic series being some of the more popular examples), it is not a new one. A more classic example would be from 1985 when Ultima IV introduced a virtue system that, depending on how the player answered morally ambiguous questions, would determine their class and other gameplay details.

Do gaming motivations and demographics impact the choice of "good" or "evil" factions in RPGs? It turns out they do, but sometimes in surprising ways.

04-gender-x-faction.png

[...]

Younger Gamers Are More Likely To Pick The Dark/Evil Faction

So if gender doesn't influence faction choice, what about age? As we've seen in a previous article, age can have a large influence on how gamers play, and that appears to be the case here as well.

04-age-x-faction.png

The average age of players who preferred the Dark/Evil side was 22.7 years old. Players who sought out more morally ambiguous options averaged at 26.3 years old, and finally those more inclined to seek out Light/Good factions were the oldest at an average age of 27.8. Overall, among gamers who have a faction preference, those who preferred the Dark/Evil side were much younger.
More information.

@GothicGothiness Yes, of course, didn't you know? It's that "music" they listen to (backwards) and those evil games they play - you know, I think they call them "games of playing role" or some such? Those darned kids...

That is some good stuff. At least, it keeps people employed...

Whatever, factions in ME, good/evil when you end doing the same.

This study is rediculous.
If was true, noone would buy Dungeon Keeper back in the day, and upcoming Tyranny will sell 2-3 copies pulling Obsidian into bankrupcy.

Unless of course the study is about MMO factions and not singleplayer games.

My read of the study is that it is recording player tendencies into data. None of this is cast into stone…its just what people prefer generally.

Oh and anyone younger than 30 is not to be trusted ;-)

I liked them TIE fighter's view from the top on 2nd chart. The biggest one must be Vader's, right ?

Last edited:
This study is rediculous.
If was true, noone would buy Dungeon Keeper back in the day, and upcoming Tyranny will sell 2-3 copies pulling Obsidian into bankrupcy.

Unless of course the study is about MMO factions and not singleplayer games.

People pick the evil faction and play goody-two-shoes as much as they can in it, it's the concept of being an anti-hero or "wearing black and dark red and acting like an emo is cool".

The study has nothing to do with whether people would play a game like Dungeon Keeper in which they have no choice between roles. It just relates to what roles people pick when they are given a choice.

I always go the good route myself, but I still enjoy games where I get to be the bad guy.

It would be interesting to find out how this changes over time. Do players change their faction preferences as they age?

I have never managed to truly finish a game as an "evil" character.

I tried it on KOTOR and I just don't enjoy it as much...
I can play a slightly selfish character when the games make it look right, but often the evil choice just isn't "evil" it is plainly moronic.

Banner Saga 2 has many good choices which are more grey and had me think on consequences and not just helping people.

In KOTOR evil choices are too evil to be fun in my opinion.

That's why I think Tyranny as a concept sounds really cool if they can make it the way it sounds right now. Evil does not mean idiotically evil, but more like how on earth we have dictatorships who think mostly about themselves,

I'm not surprised at all.

But - Bruhahaha ! - gamers in the SWTOR forums tried to tell me that it is the more mature gamers who'd choose the dark / evil faction ...

But - Bruhahaha ! - gamers in the SWTOR forums tried to tell me that it is the more mature gamers who'd choose the dark / evil faction …

Common idea of teenagers. Rough and egoistic (="mature") to others, very naive about themselves. :)

My own guess is that younger people see evil as being cool, rebellious, and anti-establishment. Playing it less for actual evil and more from a stereotype.

For me this study rings true. When I was younger, I tended to pick evil side in games just for the novelty of it. KOTOR 1-2, Neverwinter Nights 2, all evil. All first RPGs. Later the novelty wore off and I discovered that evil routes are typically shorter and less developed, so now I tend to pick good routes for better quality. And I suspect others have discovered the same along with aging and playing more RPGs, so this tendency to discard an evil faction may have a lot to do with low quality of its execution in games rather than our psychological profiles wanting to play for the good side.

This study, if used by game developers, would be like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Less attention to the evil route b\c people aren't playing it => even less quality, even less people playing it.

I usually pick evil options, as they offer more reasonable in-character motivations, rather than the drivel with which you're goaded into choosing the good path. Most games fail at making me care about the gameworld at all.

I'll bet they're only just good enough to keep the guards in check while stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

If playing good meant refusing rewards like a paladin we might find most people who think they're good are really Lawful Evil.

Back
Top Bottom