Hearts of Iron IV - Released on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Paradox has released Hearts of Iron IV on Steam.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/394360

Hearts of Iron IV Storms the Beaches
Paradox's Grand Strategy War Game Now Available

STOCKHOLM - June 6-
Paradox Development Studio returns to one of its most popular game series with the release of Hearts of Iron IV. This giant war game gives you control of any nation in the world during the chaotic years in and around World War II. Vast armies are yours to command, industrial infrastructures are yours to build and the far reaches of science are yours to research. The Hearts of Iron series has always been one of the deepest and most sophisticated games about humanity’s greatest conflict. Hearts of Iron IV brings greater attention to the big picture of battleplans and sweeping troop movements, with a heavier emphasis on accessibility without losing the depth that fans have long admired.

Mhmkay...
You said Paradox?

I bet there will be a deluxe edition, season pass and DLC-o-rama.

Mhmkay…
You said Paradox?

Of course it will as gamers buy most of the DLC released, and the new DLC model is very successful for them. It also helps make the games lifespan longer then most games.

My recommendation wait a year or more for a full bundle sale on Steam.

The game is supposed to be dumbed down quite a bit from HoI 3. The reviews I've read are still saying the game is QUITE complex, though, which gives you an idea of just how detailed HoI 3 was.

For sure. There's already an expansion pass if you want to pre-order them.

That's just the development cycle Paradox uses. Release the game then keep working on it for a year or two (or, if it sells as well as EU4, several years). You can hold out until the game is 'done' and get everything they ever did with it. You can buy soon then just sit on the original game, taking in all the free updates as they show up. You can hang back a version, too - the game and previous expansions typically go on sale when a new expansion shows up. Whatever works.

The thing is, for the most part the DLCs are really optional. If you buy, say CK2 or EU4 and not buy any DLC, you'll still enjoy the hell out of the games. DLCs give you more options and when they come out you'll want to buy them, you'll be happy to throw money at the screen shouting "shut up and take my money!"... at least that's how I feel.

Gah…I'm playing this game like

wMkI0AC.gif

Last edited:
Is anyone else playing this?

I really like it so far. I just have one gripe:

Where is Winston Churchill?! I'm playing as the UK in my current game, I hold elections, and I'm still stuck with Neville Chamberlain. Chamberlain is a pacifist. I mean, that's great and everything, but he's not as good at curb-stomping nazis as Churchill. o.o;

Is anyone else playing this?

I really like it so far. I just have one gripe:

Where is Winston Churchill?! I'm playing as the UK in my current game, I hold elections, and I'm still stuck with Neville Chamberlain. Chamberlain is a pacifist. I mean, that's great and everything, but he's not as good at curb-stomping nazis as Churchill. o.o;
Well I haven't played it yet as I'm busy finishing Witcher III this month, but I do know Paradox games are usually not 100% historical accurate unless you re-enact it.

I actually had to use mods to make Hearts of Iron III more historical accurate, and usually in games like Europa Universalis you had to toggle the option on for leaders.

Last edited:
Victoria II had historically accurate moments, such as the unification of Italy, etc., but I think you had choices with how you approached them. You could change history, basically.

It wasn't until later that I realized that a broo-ha-ha south of Modena (the country I was playing) was the start of the unification of Italy.

I ended up being a little thorn in the side of that unification. :p

Any word on state of the game?HoI III was one of most horrible messes I seen on release and it took months just to kill major bugs, so I am waiting for conformation game is in playable state before diving into it.

Any word on state of the game?HoI III was one of most horrible messes I seen on release and it took months just to kill major bugs, so I am waiting for conformation game is in playable state before diving into it.

It's really, really stable...unusually stable for a Paradox release. I can confirm. I've seen other reviewers remark on that, too.

If you haven't played Paradox games since HoI3 or Victoria 2, Paradox is a whole different company now. CK2, EU4, Stellaris and HoI4 all have been very polished at release. Any 'major' bugs that escaped their testing are typically fixed the day after release (I haven't experienced any personally).

I'll get it some time but not quite yet. So many games, so little time! (Well, actually there's quite a bit of time, too, but there's really a lot of games!)
I actually had to use mods to make Hearts of Iron III more historical accurate, and usually in games like Europa Universalis you had to toggle the option on for leaders.
I believe there's an option you can set now to decide if the AI should 'stick to the script' or not.

Or are you just talking about the German flags? Paradox can't really do anything about that without trashing their German sales.

Stellaris is my one true love :smitten: I guess it's more of a perspective of interest, I'd rather spend my time in space than in WW2!

Stellaris is my one true love :smitten: I guess it's more of a perspective of interest, I'd rather spend my time in space than in WW2!

Wifey and I have been so on the fence about that one. I think once they have their first sale, imma buy it whether she wants me to or not, then make her play! :)

Wifey and I have been so on the fence about that one. I think once they have their first sale, imma buy it whether she wants me to or not, then make her play! :)

Highly recommended! Steam saying I've played 235 hours and counting. My guess is that both Stellaris and HOI4 are in the same boat atm, both being quite new releases, a strong solid base game with a few things lacking that will hopefully get improved with updates.

Speaking of reviews. Norwegian site Gamer.no gave HOI4 a full score 10/10 making it the 4th game only they give a full score. Ofc it's not a huge site so the amounts of reviews they have are limited.

For those with knowledge of Norwegian here's a link: (sorry, I won't translate :p)
http://www.gamer.no/artikler/anmeldelse-hearts-of-iron-iv/348286

CK2, EU4, Stellaris ... all have been very polished at release. Any 'major' bugs that escaped their testing are typically fixed the day after release (I haven't experienced any personally).

If HoI release state matches CK2 or EU4, no problem.

Stellaris is another story and differ from the two others on:

-presence of game breaking bugs that requires the use of the console or mods to be partially solved.

-more importantly: a state in release that recalls crowdfunding projects state of release. That is stubs of features that are left at a conceptual stage.
It was very surprising and affected features that used to be commonly dealt with as Paradox know how to do it.

One example: war involved multiple empires. When parties had set the same war demands, this could end with dead end, as no winning parties managed to secure enough to claim victory.
Usually, in Paradox products, this scenario is dealt with by allowing the lesser winner to get out of the conflict through white peace. It is a standard procedure.
In Stellaris, though, when you occupied some planets that would prevent the other winning side from completing its war demands, it ended with a stalemate. You could neither peace out because the losing side kept refering to a too low war score to accept white peace and the other winning side would not decide for a white peace since they could not realize they were not able to complete their demands.

This was solved in the lastest patch by allowing to demand planets without occupying them.

At release, though, despite the situation being common to P titles, no exit was implemented. Since war attrition is a revised feature in Stellaris, the only left solution was to reload a save prior to the declaration of war.

Well, bugs or no, I followed Nyx's advice and got my partner Stellaris...and she loves it!

Thanks, Nyx! We really did good with this one!

Back
Top Bottom