Horizon Forbidden West - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Horizon Forbidden West has been announced and is a direct sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn.

Horizon Forbidden West continues Aloy's story as she moves west to a far-future America to brave a majestic, but dangerous frontier where she'll face awe-inspiring machines and mysterious new threats. Coming to PlayStation 5.
More information.

There is 99.99% chance HZD will run properly on PC.

The testing software will appear in about a month, and it's official requirements do not say one needs mushrooms to play it thus HZD probably won't insist on mushrooms either.
It's Death Stranding and if you've regged on GMG check your e-mail box, 22% off prepurchase voucher should be inside.

Will HZD2 also be ported to PC, noone can know for sure.
Volition's Summoner 2 for example never came to PC although, for all I know, Summoner 1 was a hit.

The trailer certainly got my attention. I'm not usually an early adopter (it took me around 2 years to buy a console of the current generation), but games like this will get me to buy one sooner than later.

I never did end up getting a PS4 despite planning to. Just when I was about to finally buy one earlier this year, I read about the PS5 being backwards compatible, and that put the nail in the PS4 coffin for me.

The PS5 with backward compatibility is looking like a pretty tempting buy.

I wonder if the PS5 exclusives might actually be ahead of the PC scene for a while, with regard to the possibilities of ultra-fast SSD streaming. It would be quite hard to rely on the speed of PC storage setups to deliver sufficient performance for a game that relies on dynamic streaming, with so many varying configurations in the market.

Well I'll care when anything over a 2TB SSD cost less then $200.

As I'm not made of money or have much disposable income nowadays.

Anyway a rant.
Absolutely! PCs have had SSD drives for awhile now and look how crazy revolutionary the games became. Look at all the new designs! Oh wait, never happened. Buy dont worry Sonys is very special. They can make super duper AAAA games with it. Games so incredible you cant even imagine them.It's so crazy how good they are because you know special SSD. You know "devs" love it. You know the 2 talking about it that make games for SONY only. What has ANY dev outside of a Sony dev team said about it? Nothing,
Found it funny.

Last edited:
Well, moving from HDDs to the fastest SSDs available will be pretty revolutionary for the consoles. All of the developers I've seen commenting on the PS5 say that is by far the most exciting aspect, and will open up new possibities in the way they design games.

I think that's true, but I think it will take time to translate to the PC space. We're familiar with the requirements for minimum GPUs, but I think it will be tougher to specify the minimum required storage performance.

Absolutely! PCs have had SSD drives for awhile now and look how crazy revolutionary the games became. Look at all the new designs! Oh wait, never happened. Buy dont worry Sonys is very special. They can make super duper AAAA games with it. Games so incredible you cant even imagine them.It's so crazy how good they are because you know special SSD. You know "devs" love it. You know the 2 talking about it that make games for SONY only. What has ANY dev outside of a Sony dev team said about it? Nothing,

The situation is that games, particularly AAA ones, are designed primarily for the console market. So, while both consoles were HDD-bound, and only a percentage of the PC market had SSDs, we were never going to see games engineered to rely on those transfer speeds. That's what makes things interesting - the limiting factor of the console market is being lifted.

I've posted many years before.
Which SSD to buy? The cheapest one at that day. You, a gamer, won't feel any difference.

The story where SSD approach in consoles will pwn every single game on PC is pretty much retarded. I dare to call it fake news.
Besides, on PC we already had slow HDD streaming Gothic when Jesus was born. Meanwhile, consoles, those available today, still use SATA2.

What consoles need is steady 1080p/60FPS with standard technologies we can already enjoy on PC for years (means, without raytracing which is still basically untamed). If PS5 can't deliver such experience in 2020, if PS5 will still have to cull people on street in Cyberpunk because too many of NPCs can choke the junk below 30FPS, it'll remain the same shit different wrapping disappointment.

Assuming Sony got their shit together and will deliver 60FPS, all those people who were posting nonsense there is no difference between 30 and 60 for decades will finally stop trolling the internet.

Yeah I hear this nonsense every-time a new console is released. Believe us it's revolutionary you peons who will buy it anyway. I'm tone deaf to shit nowadays.

Still consoles have always worked to improve what they have by maximizing hardware and software. Look at that terrible cell processor developers hated on the PS3.

My SO is getting PS5, so I might as well try this one out. I did like the original game.

Which SSD to buy? The cheapest one at that day. You, a gamer, won't feel any difference.

The story where SSD approach in consoles will pwn every single game on PC is pretty much retarded. I dare to call it fake news.

I don't think anyone is saying that the PS5 SSD is going to "pwn every single game on PC". I'm sure there will be faster SSDs for PCs in a matter of months.

But the key point is that PS5 devs have a known baseline of storage performance they can absolutely rely upon - they know the precise point where their data streaming could start to cause problems, and they can design their engines to push it right up to the limit. In the PC world, there is huge range of storage hardware, on different interfaces. I think it will take a while before there are enough high performance SSDs in PC market that studios are comfortable pushing storage performance in the way they now can for the PS5.

Not arguing that it's just I prefer to archive stuff and space-wise the old HD's offer more for less. Yes I could use cloud but I hate re-downloading GB's of files eveytime.

I think it will take a while before there are enough high performance SSDs in PC market that studios are comfortable pushing storage performance in the way they now can for the PS5.
That's always been the situation.:(

As the PC is an open market where consoles have always been closed. I always dreamed an upgrade-able console would be released never was.

Bottom-line there will never be a PC the same as all the rest anyway.

That's always been the situation.:(

Right - and that's part of what I'm saying. We've never actually seen a AAA game designed around high-perfomance storage, because the consoles were on HDDs, and no-one was going to make a game only playable by the percentage of PC SSD owners. All I'm saying is that by providing the first mass-market platform with high performance storage, it's on the PS5 we'll first see games that really take advantage of it.

I liked and played first one a lot, although never finished it. Usual completionist curse, its pretty large game. Hope they make RPG elements deeper in second game. Looking forward.

With very few exceptions I'm not interested in the kind of games made for consoles, so buying a console is not really a thing for me. My last console was a NES before I made the jump to PC. Never looked back.

So, this is what they meant with "we will remain loyal to dedicated hardware" or how they worded it.

Too bad that games like this aren't made for the PC - the PC crowd wouldn't want it, I guess. They want things like Fortnight instead.

Back
Top Bottom