Commodore 64 Games Go Wiii

magerette

Hedgewitch
This doesn't seem to be too rpg related and is non-pc mostly as well, so I didn't stick it on the newspage, nonetheless some of our members may find this newsbit interesting. It's posted at
MCV UK, and states:

Virtual Console will soon boast an array of titles from the Commodore 64 to bolster its current line-up of Nintendo, Sega, Turbografx and Neo Geo titles.

Among the first titles from Commodore 64 which will be made available on Virtual Console are International Karate and Uridium. These titles will be added to with regular updates to the line-up from the Commodore 64 back catalogue.

Virtual Console games from Commodore 64 will be available from the Wii Shop Channel soon and can be downloaded for 500 Wii Points each. Currently these titles will only be available on the European Wii Shop Channel.

“The massive impact the Commodore 64 had on video-gaming is still evident today with many gamers remembering the computer and its games with great fondness,” said CEO of Commodore Gaming Bala Keilman.

This is really cool, as the Commodore 64 had a lot of great games.

The only thing is, that price is way too high for those games. 500 Wii points = $5, I can't believe that Nintendo is going to charge that much for emulated Commodore 64 games.

It is a fairly standard price for virtual consoles ... only on GameTap do you get a better deal ... we have a 2000 point card burning a hole in our Wii ;)

What are these Wii points anyway ?

I see. How are they "earned" ?

I see. How are they "earned" ?

I think txa confused you with his "virtual money" reply. You have to buy them with real money. You can get them online thru your Wii with a credit card, or purchase a Wii points card at a retail store. The cards give you 2000 points and cost $20.

Most of the games on there are close to being fairly priced imo, but I couldn't see myself paying that much for Commodore 64 games, unless they're talking about bundles.

I see. That reminds me of Gold in some MMORPGs.

I see. That reminds me of Gold in some MMORPGs.

Not really - it is the standard in console 'currency'. The reason not to do direct $$ is that by doing points you can allow non-credit card holding kids to buy stuff.

Well, no, I meant that gold advertisers (like in the MMORPG section here) sell in-game gold four out-game cash, Dollars or what kind of currency is used.

I see Wii points as a similar thing like in-game gold here, because you buy them by out-game cash.

To me, it's in principle the same concept, only used differently, applied to a different area.

I dunno ... for me I think of it as more like the system at old arcades where you buy 'tokens' with real cash and play games with those ... or like traveling to a different country and exchanging currency.

Because it isn't something you can 'earn' in any way, nor does it have 'in game' meaning. You have to the 'Wii Store' (similar on X360 and PS3) and literally *buy games* using those points.

I dunno ... for me I think of it as more like the system at old arcades where you buy 'tokens' with real cash and play games with those ... or like traveling to a different country and exchanging currency.

Okay, one can interpret it this way, too.

There is no similarity at all between Wii points and MMORPG currencies. Like txa said, there is no in-game meaning at all. Wii points are simply used to buy\download the games themselves.

Maybe I can finally finish Times of Lore!

There is no similarity at all between Wii points and MMORPG currencies. Like txa said, there is no in-game meaning at all. Wii points are simply used to buy\download the games themselves.

I used the term "in-game" as an example to outline the similarities.

I do know that they have no "in-game" function (at all).

Well, there must be a market for it or they wouldnt be doing it. To me it sounds like an abysmal waste, playing some godawful old c64 title on some state of the art console. Love to see the face of the kid that accidentally picks one of those games and fires it up for the first time.

I wonder what the graphics would be like on a 50 inch set, probably each pixel block will be as big as your head.....

What similarities? :)

Is it that difficult to understand ? :confused:

Real money -> symbolic transfer -> influence to game

This is the most general description I could make up.

Real money -> Wii points -> (whole) game bought
Real money -> gold -> (in-)game items bought

What's so difficult with that ???

Is it that difficult to understand ? :confused:

Real money -> symbolic transfer -> influence to game

This is the most general description I could make up.

Real money -> Wii points -> (whole) game bought
Real money -> gold -> (in-)game items bought

What's so difficult with that ???

I was wondering the same thing about you.

Why do you insist on trying to compare real money with video game currency??

Real money is not "symbolic", at least not in my country.

Back
Top Bottom