Fallout: New Vegas - Hi-Res Screens @ Duck and Cover

One picture proves that the special attack with the golf club is a golf swing. Also the people there like to complain about the obvious which is that it looks like Fallout 3. I guess people don't understand that when you make a game based on another games engine it is going to look like that game.

Really, this is the perfect opportunity to indoctrinate a large group of RPG virgins to true RPGness. Everyone here(I assume a great deal of you) cut your teeth on the classics. Personally, Planescape is my fav RPG.. if they can taste that kinda quality and get hooked on it, things might finally improve.

One picture proves that the special attack with the golf club is a golf swing. Also the people there like to complain about the obvious which is that it looks like Fallout 3. I guess people don't understand that when you make a game based on another games engine it is going to look like that game.

I'm very happy to see a new Fallout game, but these pics are unremarkable at best. I think most people are expecting Vegas to be a "step up" in all areas even if its the same game engine. We don't want another DLC packaged slightly different, we want things to move forward - better graphics, better gameplay, better story, ect. So far this just looks like the same shit…

I'm very happy to see a new Fallout game, but these pics are unremarkable at best. I think most people are expecting Vegas to be a "step up" in all areas even if its the same game engine. We don't want another DLC packaged slightly different, we want things to move forward - better graphics, better gameplay, better story, ect. So far this just looks like the same shit…

I'm not sure I fully agree here.

New Vegas will not improve on Fallout 3's engine, at least I expect no major shifts in graphics or AI or the like, and nothing said makes me think otherwise. This was kind of clear from the start, since Obsidian doesn't have the time to reinvent the wheel here, and I think it's a good thing they can just leave it and focus on other things, even if that means continuing with Fallout 3's rather terrible animations or mediocre FPS combat. But expect more than retextures and you're in for a disappointment.

That hardly means we'll see no progress in visuals, though. What is lost to not being able to update graphics is gained by being able to go for new design in areas (even if they're, sadly, reusing the east coast mutants). Similarly, though the core is the same the gameplay (dialogue, character system) is being tweaked. I expect it to improve on Fallout 3 there, in story and character design, in character system and sensible progression. And if it makes some leaps there, I can somewhat forgive the Fallout 3 engine.

Fallout is lost as a hardcore franchise - and the sooner you accept that, the easier it'll be ;)

Obsidian might have a more "hardcore" tradition, but they too need to listen to the market and generate income.

It might be an improvement over FO3, though.

But even if it matched the originals in those terms, which it won't, it can never be what any sequel should be - an evolution.

There are years until we reach a point where gameplay will start to evolve in general, again.

I'm expecting FO3 with some small but carefully chosen system tweaks, much more interesting characters, a better story, more complex and possibly branching quests and a sense of humour that better understands the original.

If I get close on a chunk of that, I'll be happy.

For me Fallout 3 was and is a great game. With Gothic 1 my favorite RPG. But I never did F2 and its always easier to like a game when you dont compare it to its predecessor. Really looking forward to New Vegas. My hope is not for humor but for more interesting characters and locations.

Btw, now I've finished F3 twice. Any good mods that bring interesting quests, npcs and areas? I'm also thinking of trying Fallout 1 or 2. Which would you recommend?

Last edited:
I'm expecting FO3 with some small but carefully chosen system tweaks, much more interesting characters, a better story, more complex and possibly branching quests and a sense of humour that better understands the original.

If I get close on a chunk of that, I'll be happy.

Very well said. Let's hope you're right!

Btw, now I've finished F3 twice. Any good mods that bring interesting quests, npcs and areas? I'm also thinking of trying Fallout 1 or 2. Which would you recommend?

Fallout 3 Nexus is the place to be for F3 mods. But I don't think there's any major TC mods out there. Enclave Commander got a lot of good feedback, and MMM adds a lot of new stuff, as does Wanderer's Edition. Just sniff around and add multiple mods, tho' careful not to break the game (there's mod combination mods out there too.

As for the old games, start with Fallout 1. It was a polished released so unlike Fallout 2 doesn't need the fan patch as badly, but I can still recommend the TeamX patch and high resolution patch. Fallout 1 is smaller and less intimidating than Fallout 2, and with a better, less "lulzy" (if I may) approach to the setting than 2. It can take a while to get used to, it's not as user-friendly as modern RPGs, but stick to it for a bit and you should be in for a good time.

Story and writing were the weakest parts of FO3 for me, and these are the things that Obsidian is known to be really good at, so I am optimistic. However, somewhat to my surprise, I have to say that until now I saw nothing in the previews that particularly gripped me with regards to the story or setting - so far I am missing a hook that really pulls me in.

Looks ugly and not in a STALKER sort of way. I don't really see anything interesting other then that they added more of the stupid shit Bethesda did. Golf club weapons? Mutants wearing funny lol hats?

Maybe the story will be an improvement. I already see that they're going to have a Beth-esque character creation under the excuse that your character was shot in the head so you have to take a bunch of tests that will get boring half way through the first time you play.

At least they can make some new faces to the NPCs. Lack of variety in character types in Fallout 3 was it's biggest flaw in terms of graphics. Apart from that, I have confidence in Obsidian that we will receive much better story and clever NPC dialogs than Fallout 3.

I don't really see anything interesting other then that they added more of the stupid shit Bethesda did. Golf club weapons? Mutants wearing funny lol hats?

I agree, they're trying a bit too hard to inject humor. I appreciate funny moments in game, even in a serious RPG, if they're done right... but the golf club as a lethal weapon is just plain dumb.

It's the fact that the first few screens they release are to show lulz. I don't mind stupid easter eggs or even glaringly obvious jokes, but it's like they want us to think the focus of the game will be how much stupid shit they can cram in.

In all likelihood, Marketing chose the shots. And they probably chose the shots because they're going to attract more attention on GameSpot or MTV Multiplayer than a "serious" screen. That's all it is - not a message to the hardcore.

I agree, they're trying a bit too hard to inject humor. I appreciate funny moments in game, even in a serious RPG, if they're done right… but the golf club as a lethal weapon is just plain dumb.

a man chooses
a slave obeys

Back
Top Bottom