BioWare - Their Philosophy on RPGs @ 1Up

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GDC 2010: A Glimpse at BioWare's Philosophy on RPGs comes from a GDC presentation on localising large RPGs. The article starts with a look at some of the stats and word counts and ties this back to the discussion on whether Mass Effect 2 is an RPG or not:
From what I've read, the average 300 page novel clocks in at approximately 75,000 words. By comparison, the original Mass Effect contains approximately 300,000 words, Mass Effect 2 adds to that total with 450,000 words, and Dragon Age dwarfs them both with some 1,000,000 words. On top of that, Mass Effect 2 contains 140,000 lines of voice-over dialogue, which were recorded over the course of some 300 days at the studio with the help of more than 350 actors. The takeaway, of course, is that making an RPG is hard. [...]
The reason I mention all this is because much of the debate concerning whether or not Mass Effect 2 is an RPG is based around the combat and the lack of an inventory (there's even another BioWare panel later this week titled "Where's my Inventory!") But the common thread in all of BioWare's games is always the dialogue trees, which is obviously what they consider to be the heart of an RPG. During the panel, the localization team talked about how the writers are tweaking and recording new dialogue up until the last weeks before Cert, and how a great deal of time and money is devoted toward making sure the dialogue is just right.
More information.

[Cynism]"Why localize anyway !? Half the world already speaks English ! Put the money rather into the gameplay !" Imaginary comment by an English-speaking fanboi.[/Cynism]

[Cynism]"Why localize anyway !? Half the world already speaks English ! Put the money rather into the gameplay !" Imaginary comment by an English-speaking fanboi.[/Cynism]

I actually do agree with that. Not in that it needs to be English, but in the emphasis on full voice acting. It adds way too much to the development of the game (in time and money), and not only that, but it's an asset that you can't reuse (as opposed to art, development, music, etc), and on top of that, you'll have to do it all over again for each language you sell the game on.
I'd rather if voice acting was minimal, maybe leave it only for major plot-focused parts like cutscenes and what not.

I'd rather if voice acting was minimal, maybe leave it only for major plot-focused parts like cutscenes and what not.
Better to have English only version, than to ditch voice acting. Or if they left minimal voice acting for localized releases, I wouldn't mind that..

I could agree more Alrik...oh wait... :)

I realize Bioware thinks RPG means telling a story ( maybe they've been playing too many jrpgs lately ) but I'd rather for less story and better games. I can think of a lot of games with a lot less text but much better stories. Everything Bioware has done lately is so cliche and worse, they're own characters and plot devices have become cliches of themselves.

Better to have English only version, than to ditch voice acting. Or if they left minimal voice acting for localized releases, I wouldn't mind that..

Completely disagree. Voice acting adds very little for me, I didn't miss it in Drakensang one bit but the English translation was a little....choppy. I skip over 90%+ of the spoken dialog anyway because I read much faster than the actors talk, especially with all the "dramatic" pauses. Ugh, can you imagine FF7 with VOs? "Cloud ... ... ... ..."

I'd rather 100% text with quality localization than a poor job on either. Since most of the good games these days are not being made in North America I'd rather they skip the voice acting and release it in English in the US than keep it in German/Russian/Czech and then I'd never get to play it.

Coming from a small country I couldnt care less for localisation of English language productions.

Given how crappy most Swedish localisations tend to end up I'd rather play a better English version than have the devs waste resources on a language restricted to 10M people, voice acting or not.

Heck, since the quality of translations go down the drain (together with our school system) I mostly watch movies with the English subtitles nowadays.

I just played Assassin's Creed 2 in Norwegian (not the voice overs, but everything else - menus, quest descriptions, etc). It felt.. wrong. I prefer it in English, since I'm used to the terms already.

However, I understand that countries where they do a lot of localization prefer it that way - they're used to it.

Mock us as much as you want Alrik, but I honestly think that developers are wasting resources on voiced localization. Just to be clear english is a foreign language to me just like its for you, although I'm coming from a lot smaller country than you (finland). still I would rather have them using that same ammount of money elsewhere .. like adding more gameplay content.

Naturally manuals must be localized and as for the game itself, subtitles are a way to go imo. Why do you germans and french insist of having the whole voice overs translated?

And since you're going to ask..yes I'd play german games without english voice acting as long as devs offered me english subtitles :)

edit: infact I always prefer orginal script over voiced translations..just offer me subtitles so that I can follow. Its absolutely irratating when german soldiers speak english in ww2 films for example. Or when some fine french film is translated to english..yack! :)

[...] as for the game itself, subtitles are a way to go imo. Why do you germans and french insist of having the whole voice overs translated?

And since you're going to ask..yes I'd play german games without english voice acting as long as devs offered me english subtitles :)

edit: infact I always prefer orginal script over voiced translations..just offer me subtitles so that I can follow. Its absolutely irratating when german soldiers speak english in ww2 films for example. Or when some fine french film is translated to english..yack! :)
I completely agree with that.
Especially since there's absolutely no chance to get a game in my language - even the extremely few local games are in english... (and even if hell froze over and they did translate one, I'd most probably still prefer the 'original' - whatever language that might be - if I could have subtitles, as I do for animated films for example).

Back
Top Bottom