Arcania - Preview @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's a preview of Arcania at IGN, though the author starts with that dreaded "I don't normally like...". The article is based on some short play time and seems positive, although framerate concerns and some dodgy animations are noted. On combat:
The first battles in Arcania are very basic, button-mashing affairs because the semi-harmless molerats the hero fights aren't exactly the most cunning of warriors. But once you progress into the game, golems, trolls and other beasties will put up way more of a fight, demanding plenty of dodges, well-timed potions and powerful spells in order to best them.

Using ranged weapons also seemed fun, as the player needs to hold down a button to draw back the arrow and increase the force of the attack. Small indicators light up underneath the attack cursor to show how far back the arrow has been pulled, and players even score extra damage for hitting an enemy's head. This mechanic contributes to the excitement of battle and even makes Arcania feel more like a third-person shooter.
More information.

Framerate concerns? {Zloth pats his new computer that can cook Raman Noodles if you turn the fans off.} Not a concern. ;)

Yeah, will a 5870 suffice? :) I think he must have been talking about the 5 year old 360 console framerate issues. If the RPG elements work, I don't mind some third person shooting flavor in there.

Framerate concerns? {Zloth pats his new computer that can cook Raman Noodles if you turn the fans off.} Not a concern. ;)

I hear ya. Im not too worried about frame rates either. I highly doubt they will release anything but a decently polished game. It would be suicide to put out another questionable product. I am very much looking forward to this game. I'll get both Arcania and Two Worlds 2. They both are looking pretty darn good in my book.

I'll get both Arcania and Two Worlds 2. They both are looking pretty darn good in my book.

I can't play two RPGs at once, so I'll get TW2 for now and leave Arcania for later. TW2 looks much more interesting to me than Arcania.

Most previews agree that Arcania looks good. It's technically far ahead of Risen, etc. Even the XBox360 version is apparently pretty good, or rather very good for a European mid budget production.
I'm not so sure about the gameplay though. Several previews mention they haven't found a Gothic or even anything non-generic yet.

I doubt it'll run as smooth as Risen. The previewer has some concerns with the performance it seems.

Most previews agree that Arcania looks good. It's technically far ahead of Risen, etc. Even the XBox360 version is apparently pretty good, or rather very good for a European mid budget production.
I'm not so sure about the gameplay though. Several previews mention they haven't found a Gothic or even anything non-generic yet.

Yeah, it looks good, but I'm hearing worrisome things about the world content, i.e., that it is lacking and (as you say) generic.

At least TW2 won't have that problem. Guiness Book of World Records for most spells…

As a gamer that doesn't traditionally follow PC titles (besides my timeless affair with StarCraft), I was unfamiliar with the Gothic series.

No need to read further. Why this happens so much in gaming journalism is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom