Fallout: New Vegas - Interview @ IGN AU

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Josh Sawyer has spoken with IGN Australia about Fallout: New Vegas. Here's a snip on a new Perk called Wild Wasteland:
IGN AU: Yeah – Wild Wasteland. What's the deal with that perk?

Josh Sawyer:
Okay, so basically – the Fallout franchise has, in its past, had a lot of goofy humour in it – and people seem really polarized by it. Some people were like, 'Ah – I love it! Put more Monty Python reverences in it!' and some people were like 'I can't stand it—it really irritates me in every way, shape and form.' I generally do not like the pop-culture references.

IGN AU: No kidding. Why not?

Josh Sawyer:
I dunno – it just kind of pulls me out of the world. And a lot of times it just seems kind of cheesy and goofy. I mean, I kind of appreciate it in a 'ha ha ha –fine' kind of way, but once it starts to go overboard and the world is full of it, it just starts to irritate me I guess.

In any case, a lot of our designers wanted to put that stuff in there and I'd be saying 'no, no, no, don't do it.' Eventually we thought, you know, there's probably an easy way to do this, which is a perk that basically says 'I wanna see all the goofy shit.' So we have Wild Wasteland. You opt into it at the beginning and then you get to see all the goofy crap.
NMA also points out a correction at the Beth forums - it sounds like the description of the Cowboy perk was slightly mis-transcribed in this article.
More information.

the pop culture references worked when they fir the theme (soylent green is people), but star wars was pointless.

but this doesn't mean they should have removed ALL the humour because mroe than anything Wasteland/Fallout was meant to be a tongue in cheek game. Regardless of gameplay style to me that's one of the many things that made it Fallout.

I think this is a great idea though. I understand that some people don't like the humor, and this gives the player an option to experience the game differently.

I think this is an elegant solution. Reminds me of Jagged Alliance 2, where you could decide whether you wanted the Sci-Fi quest or not. I also like the way perks are described, i.e., not just stats boosts but the support of certain gameplay styles.

Back
Top Bottom