Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - CPT Patch Coming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Interesting news from the Gothic 3 Community Patch Team that they are working on patching Forsaken Gods. In addition, some (?) of the team have formed a company and JoWood will release this as part of an "Enhanced Edition". Part of the FAQ on the JoWood forums:
# Question: Is this an official patch?
Answer: Yes, it totally is. It will be part of the soon to be sold Enhanced Edition of Forsaken Gods, it's being built by the Community Patch Team, produced by our newly formed game development company Mad Vulture Games and it will be published by JoWooD.
# Question: You have founded a studio for this (Mad Vulture Games) and the patch is being developed under that name?
Answer: MVG is to be looked at independantly from the Community Patch Team. The patch is still developed by the latter.
# Question: But the patch will be for free?
Answer: Of course! The patch will be free for download for everyone. Additionally it will be part of any future release of the addon directly.
# Question: So you are getting paid?
Answer: Yes we do! JoWooD and Mad Vulture Games have come to a mutual agreement, and we'll get our piece of the cake.
Thanks, Alistair!
More information.

What a waste of time..

I'm glad they're getting paid, unless my recollection is faulty they didn't get paid for the original G3 CP so this feels like payback time.

Kostaz said:
What a waste of time..

In a sense I agree, even without all the bugs, FSG has a pretty crappy plot. Still, I hope to be pleasantly surprised as I was with the original G3 CP.

I would assume the CP team would not have agreed to spend time on FG if they didn't get some artistic license as well. We'll see, but it would be nice if that disaster could be turned into a final chapter of the Gothic series as we knew it (before ArcaniA).

Very surprising news, especially considering Gothic 4 (in name only) has already been released. I have to question whether this is really worth the effort.

Alistair said:
Maybe Mad Vulture will get to do Gothic 5…
Grobnar Gnomehands said:
I almost sense an irony coming, but I think that might be too much to speculate on.

On the other hand, the evil publisher (who's name shall not be spoken or written) only had the ability to steal the dignity, quality and soul of the franchise's 4th game (maybe expansions) and the 3rd games expansions, iirc.

I have to question whether this is really worth the effort.

My thought?

lipstick-on-a-pig.jpg

:D

Considering FG is the only Gothic I still haven't played through, I might just grab the enhanced edition when it's out.

The trouble with G3:FG wasn't only that it was severely broken and placed on top of a semideleted Gothic 3, it was also awful and uninteresting in terms of story. I do not think you can repair it, even if it was bugfree.

I'm with txa1265 and JDR13 on this one. The community patch for Gothic 3 made sense, because Gothic 3 was a good game at its core, and its problems were mostly caused by it being unfinished. It still had some great qualities if you were able to look past the rough edges. The community patch polished what was essentially a diamond in the rough.

Based on what I've read, FG can not exactly be described as a "diamond in the rough". It appears to be a very low quality product, produced by a developer which is far inferior to Piranha Bytes. I don't consider it a real part of the Gothic series, nor an interesting game on its own. (The same applies for Arcania, BTW.)

Kay

Last edited:
I have played it... and have zero recollection what it was about :)

I'll look at this out of curiosity, but it does seem an odd choice. Maybe they'll get to fix up Arcania next. Who knows?

Forsaken Gods was a decent add-on on the whole… it's just that it was released in a state that made Gothic 3 look stable in comparison and never got patched enough to well… get fixed.

Other than that it's certainly no better or worst than Gothic 3 in term of quests, gameplay or writing and I never really got the complains about the supposedly "terrible story" - it wasn't anything special but it was nice to follow. (Hell if I was trolling I'd go as far as saying that at least it HAD a plotline to follow unlike… you know… Gothic 3 :p)

But a properly patched and fixed Forsaken God, I honestly can't imagine why anyone who enjoyed Gothic 3 would not have fun with it.

I definily wouldn't recomment it to those who did NOT like Gothic 3 though.

But well... in any case it's kind of a coming like a year or two too lates

-Sergorn

this is interesting Sergorn makes a great point. Forsaken Gods , great title by the way was absolutely unplayable !!! But if decent coders give the game LOTS of T.L.C. its more of GOTHIC 3 I do remember a few minor inprovements . Given the state of G4 i would have another go at Forsaken Gods. Plus the map is huge .If this does fairly well maybe the will make a true G4. Lets hope

Yeah I mean Forsaken Gods in a nutshell is just "more of the same" really.

Which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at Gothic 3.

FG *did* deserve all the crap its got since it release - but I never felt content was the issue really.

-Sergorn

The most amazing part in Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is when you go into the ancient temple outside Trelis. I believe that in G3 that place was an excavation ran over by zombies, skeletons and spookiness. I think it was filled with bodies and puddles of blood of the poor excavators. Creepy.

Well, in G3:FG the area is now a make-up prison, with an NPC guarded by orcs. What I found so amazing is that they didn't make any effort in upgrading the area, they just deleted the monsters. So it's still filled with blood and gore and spookiness with spooky music etc, all set up to be a haunted area, but no NPC in the game reflect on this and there's no reason for the area to be creepy. I do not remember if they removed the bodies even.

Back
Top Bottom