Dragon Age 2 - PC Combat Walkthrough Video

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare has released a video showing the two sides of combat in the PC version of Dragon Age 2. Lead Designer Mike Laidlaw explains DA2 can be played as a realtime action/RPG, or more tactically with pausing. The second half of the 3 minute video shows combat not dissimilar to the original Dragon Age, though the camera doesn't pull out as far and the UI (and chosen location) looks rather ugly to me. Download the file directly from BioWare's gallery or watch it on Youtube.
More information.

My problem is that if you don't require tactics, what is the point of using them? Or will higher difficulty levels demand more tactics and less action combat?

Hilarious.
Highlights were animations and that flask ability.
And indeed, environment and UI can´t look much more ugly than that.
Release date is quite close, I doubt they can improve it much.
There we have it :D

My problem is that if you don't require tactics, what is the point of using them?

This!

It doesn't matter if higher difficulty levels would require more tactics. The fact that you can play it as an action-rpg nullifies the tactical rpg aspect. Why bother thinking up strategies when you can just rush in and kill everything?

This!

It doesn't matter if higher difficulty levels would require more tactics. The fact that you can play it as an action-rpg nullifies the tactical rpg aspect. Why bother thinking up strategies when you can just rush in and kill everything?

Of course it matters. If playing the game as an action RPG isn't viable on higher difficulty settings, then this is the best of both worlds.

Why bother thinking up strategies when you can just rush in and kill everything?

Well, you probably can´t. It´s just the marketing-y wording which tries not to alienate anyone, or something.
At least on the highest difficulty, there´s supposed to be 100% friendly fire.
Looks like a mess, anyway.

Gah, I already knew before watching the video, that I'm not longer part of Biowares target audience - and not because the UI and location aren't shiny enough...

Of course it matters. If playing the game as an action RPG isn't viable on higher difficulty settings, then this is the best of both worlds.

Depends on what they add in the higher difficulties. If they don't just add more hit points to the creatures then sure, why not. It might be the best of both worlds.

100% friendly fire is a good start, but it better not end there. Like the AI uses more special moves or spells. I'm not holding my breath on that happening though.

I have to agree what was the point in adding a pause option if the game already is an action-rpg already? After seeing the video all my doubts have come true.

I really think there is people here who just hate BioWare because they ate they babies or something…

The video is exactly how I played DA:O. Exactly the same. No pause against weak enemies using real time and switching characters to issue orders without pausing…and when it was harder, use pause, select abilities for all and then unpause (rince and repeat). Where's the difference here?

Although, I do think the UI look too modern for the game.

Well the video does alleviate some of my fears.

But its also awfully apologetic. And I am just thinking here. If nothing was wrong , why all the apologies ?

Friendly fire should not be connected to the difficulty level. Why would it be so hard to just give the player an option to toggle it on or off?

Lol, the character jumps and slashes like the guy in Force Unleashed. :D

I thought that all the jumping and flips and rolls look silly, like the enemies are in slow motion and your character is really fast . Arcania looks better than this !!! This is a quick cash in for there next really real action packed game , Super Duper Dragon Worlds , Exclusive for V-Tec only DLC and extra original in game main character NOT INCLUDED unless you order NOW . Release date March 15 , 2011.

Friendly fire should not be connected to the difficulty level. Why would it be so hard to just give the player an option to toggle it on or off?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't like friendly fire (mostly because it is time consuming in the tactic side of things and I don't have that much time to play games), but linking it to the difficulty is stupid. Having a toggle would be much better.

Although, at the same time, I read something about lightning attacks causing friendly fire on all difficulty. Not sure how much true this is.

It's not like friendly fire affects the difficulty at all. Oh wait.

So linking it to difficulty isn't stupid, it's quite logical. On the other hand, maybe we should have difficulty levels, that can be tailored to one's personal tastes. Maybe it can be achieved with editing the .ini or something.

I guess the reason for linking it to difficulty levels might have to do with balancing the gameplay. It would probably be hard to make it work for all those variations, if they where to support custom difficulty levels.

I really think there is people here who just hate BioWare because they ate they babies or something…

No, baby eating I'm fine with. It's the dumbed down action trash they keep producing for consoles and trying to sell to hard core PC RPG enthusiasts by lying to us about the content, gameplay and quality of the last several titles that has me angry.

Everything everyone feared would happen to Bioware when they were bought by EA has come true. Don't we have the right as fans of the genre and (former) fans of Bioware to be upset?

Wow - the graphics look rather rubbish. A step back from DA:O? Certainly looks that way. I also fail to see the utility of 'tactics' *if* the game can be played…without tactics (as Darth Laidlaw claims). Part of the reason it can work, of course, is that friendly fire (which is supposedly the way the spells/abilities are *designed* to operate) is conveniently off. Otherwise the 'actiony' bits would likely incapacitate your party when used with the AI. I'd like to see a vid showing friendly fire on with 'action play'…. My take on friendly fire is this: if they think its 'too hard' why design the powers in the game to damage all and sundry? Why not have a small subset of powers be friendly fire, but the majority not? DnD worked well, plenty of non-FF spells and powers e.g. fighter abilities like 'whirlwind attack' did not arbitrarily damage your party members, but were selective. Spells could target multiple enemies etc etc. The FF spells you used with caution, but if your were not crippled if you did..or you could be creative and shield your party before using them etc etc.
In some ways the DA:O rules made non-magic using classes more interesting, but in other respects they are very poorly conceived.

No, baby eating I'm fine with. It's the dumbed down action trash they keep producing for consoles and trying to sell to hard core PC RPG enthusiasts by lying to us about the content, gameplay and quality of the last several titles that has me angry.

Everything everyone feared would happen to Bioware when they were bought by EA has come true. Don't we have the right as fans of the genre and (former) fans of Bioware to be upset?

You have the right to be upset, about what ever upset you. But insulting or mocking a developer because they don't have the same ideas as you of how a game should play of piss me off and I have seen way to much of that on this website in the last few weeks…Make the place uninviting.

Also, Bioware made KoTOR and Jade Empire before EA bought them. They were always into interactive RPG movies, not strategy RPG or whatever people believe they were making "before".

Back
Top Bottom