Basilisk Games - Projects Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Basilisk has posted an update on their projects - Eschalon: Book III is a given, of course, but apparently they have a sci-fi design kicking around:
Book III remains officially unannounced, but we are certainly hard at work on it. For the final game in the trilogy, the size of the team has grown and we are giddy with excitement to show you what we are working on! However, don’t expect to hear much more or see any screenshots until we make an formal announcement later this summer. As for a release date, it’s definitely not going to be this year, so let’s just go with “when it’s done.”
There are always other projects simmering here at the studio, and we hope to make an announcement regarding our first post-Eschalon project soon. Many of you have heard rumors that we have been working on a Sci-Fi based RPG for quite some time, and that is true, though we are not prepared just yet to say that is what’s coming next. Just keep an eye on our forums, Twitter feed or Facebook page because those are the places we tend to “slip” information about what projects we playing around with day-to-day.
More information.

If it isn't post-apocalyptic then I will definitely be interested. I would love to have either a sci-fi distopia, Star Wars, or Star Trek type of setting or a mixture.

It's going to be called Mass Appeal and have real-time action.

It's going to be called Mass Appeal and have real-time action.

Did you really need to post that? I know it's a pretty harmless comment but one thing we really don't need is more BioWare bashing. If you don't like the direction BioWare has taken then why keep moaning about it? Try to focus your energy on something more constructive.

Ok ok, sorry couldn't resist the pun. I am sure that's something Basilisk game will not be doing, and that it is going to be an old-school style game.

I think she just meant it ironically ... Mass Effect IS actually appealing to quite a lot of people, no doubt ...

But I guess that Basilisk Games would rather pursue a different way ... Especially since they simply wouldn't be able to deliver the same quality of graphics like Bioware is able to ...

Dev wannabe's are always jealous of Bioware and Bethesda. You get used to it, stealth. Still, I thought it was pretty funny. Those who can't do...criticize. That is MY mantra :)

Hmmm, I'm trying to get Basilisk Games to give me another interview, he isn't quite ready to do that. I think many of you will like his Scifi game he is talking about, it's been on the back burner for quite some time.

Sci-fi isn't my thing, so I'm glad book III is coming out first. I believe the market for fantasy crpgs is much larger than the market for sci-fi.

A love a good RPG in a sci-fi setting, simply because there are so few of them.

Still, I'm not sure I would buy an indie game just for that reason.

I didn't care for Eschalon I, but the sci-fi thing has me intrigued. I remember playing some very old school sci-fi RPG's and enjoying them, but I really haven't played anything in the last 15 years that kept me interested.

Well System Shock I and II and Deus Ex are sci-fi and I enjoyed both, but I waited to play these till after I had finished everything fantasy related. I'll try the sci-fi demo, but doubt that I'd pay money for a sci-fi game with indie graphics. We'll see.

OK, Basilisk is a small developer, I get it.

What I don't get is the love for Eschalon Book 2. I bought it and find it to be really bad. Run around and kill things until you run into something just a little too hard to kill. Then run as fast as you can to the nearest map edge. Then camp. Maybe get surrounded by monsters while camping. Maybe get killed. Repeat this over and over (especially the camping part) and that's Eschalon 2.

The dialog is horrible too. "I accept the quest" "I don't accept the quest" "I am busy now"

Support the underdog is an honorable position, I suppose. But they charge $25 bucks for a bad game with somewhat nice graphics.

Sci-fi isn't my thing, so I'm glad book III is coming out first. I believe the market for fantasy crpgs is much larger than the market for sci-fi.

Mass Effect, Kotor, FO3... Not to mention Half Life, Crysis, Halo... I wouldn't say thats a given. Of course the association Rpg=fantasy is still quite strong, I'll admit that.

@GBG
I wouldn't call most of those crpgs, but it's quibbling. I would agree Kotor and FO3 are full-blooded crpgs and FO3, FNV, Deus Ex and System Shock II are all worthy of giant kudos. If we lump alternative history into sci-fi, which seems logical, there are a pretty good group of games in there. But there's still a LOT more fantasy crpgs so nyeh :p

@Ovenall, I wasn't a big fan of Book II either. I thought that Book I was a better game. I believe in Book II, Tom got side-tracked by all the meta-gaming. By this I mean all the silly conditions that you could play under to boost a meaningless score. It got to be more about how you played the game, rather than just making a fun game. I hope he goes back to the drawing board.

I think his game proved that listening to your fans isn't always a good idea. I'd scrap the score and the conditions, but maybe that's what he feels made the game stand out.

Back
Top Bottom