Scars of War - Put On Hold

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Sadly, Gareth Fouche has decided to put Scars of War on hold:
This is a hard post to write. May as well just get right to the gist of it.
Scars of War development is going to be halted for an indefinite time period, at least one year, probably longer. In the next few months, once my business plan and the game spec has been finalized, I shall quit my job to work full time (or nearly full time, depending on whether a contracting gig comes through) on a smaller, 6-month project. Not an RPG, a battling-card game in the same genre as Magic : The Gathering and Spectromancer. The aim is to finish it within 6 months, but with allowances for up to 1 year dev time. Toward the end of that period I will evaluate whether I can keep going full time or need to search for other work (contractual or full time), as I will be near to exhausting my savings. Should the game be finished and making money, I will begin working on expansions (more cards/opponents/mechanics/scenarios) as well as porting to new platforms (made easier by the fact that the game will be dev’d on the Unity3D game engine) to expand my income stream. Should I have failed to finish but be near completion, or not making much money, I will look for contract work to help tide me over during that last stretch. Should I have completely failed…well, I will have given it my best shot. At least I can look back and know that I tried.
Head to the blog for the lengthy full explanation.
More information.

I first heard of this game years ago and there was hardly any updates same as age of decadence. Thing is age of decadence will come out eventually and the other will become vaporware like many indie projects.

It may not come out but I think your tone is a bit harsh. Gareth is a member of our own community.

Didn't mean to come out harsh just stating the facts. I dont mean to offend anyone.I'm a realist and have always been one and that pisses off people.

On a related topic has anyone tried Spectromancer? I've seen it around and played the demo for a little bit, but it didn't grab me like Magic would have. Maybe I was just missing something or I gave up to quickly.

The last indie card games I actually liked was Armageddon Empires and Solium Infernum, but those were more of a strategy game with cards than a game similar to Magic or even Etherlords.

In any case, I'll be getting this on day one without even thinking about it. He is right in that there are too few good card games out there that include all of the cards right from the get go.

I won't touch the X-box magic game for exactly the reasons he pointed out. It will be too expensive, but I do love a good card game.

I'm hoping he makes it more like Magic or Etherlords than he does Spectromancer or even tries something entirely new like Armageddon Empires or Solium Infernum. Now those are great games. Difficult to learn, but a ton of fun to play once you do learn it.

So it sounds like you'd prefer something like Magic or Etherlords, or maybe even Armageddon Empires or Solium Infernum, but not so much Spectromancer. :p

Mojang's second offering is going to be a strategy card game too: Scrolls.

Didn't mean to come out harsh just stating the facts. I dont mean to offend anyone.I'm a realist and have always been one and that pisses off people.

You must be young. There is a difference between being a realist (which I am) and being an asshole (......). I have been following Gareth's progress for years, and seriously doubt that he will be throwing it all away. And, even if the worst should happen, I'd like to believe he tried his best, with the full support of this community.

I first heard of this game years ago and there was hardly any updates same as age of decadence. Thing is age of decadence will come out eventually and the other will become vaporware like many indie projects.

I'll believe it when I see it. If anything sow seemed much more realistic. Remember that while it has more to show off aod is just one programmer too.

It's a bummer sow is put on hold but a card game might be more realistic to achieve in a reasonable timeframe.

This goes to show just how hard it is to develop rpg games, this is not an easy thing to do.

I'll believe it when I see it. If anything sow seemed much more realistic. Remember that while it has more to show off aod is just one programmer too.

It's a bummer sow is put on hold but a card game might be more realistic to achieve in a reasonable timeframe.

No, this isn't right. I can assure you AoD is not vapourware and can be completed "in a reasonable timeframe". The game has been technically playable (in an unfinished format) for a long time now but they are iterating and adding sub-systems (such as stealth) that previously had either simple systems or placeholders.

They also have a team in terms of programming, writing and art, even if Nick is the only programmer. They even have the core technology tied down to the point where a "professional" team (Brian and Annie Mitsoda) decided to use their modfied Torque engine and dialogue/scripting systems for Dead State.

I've never spoken to Gareth personally about SoW but, as I understand it, he was a lone wolf until an artist contributed for a period recently. I would think AoD is a long way ahead.

At any rate, best of luck with your new concept, Gareth. I've never really played a card game because I dislike the buy-more-expansions concept but I'll buy yours as a matter of principle.

So it sounds like you'd prefer something like Magic or Etherlords, or maybe even Armageddon Empires or Solium Infernum, but not so much Spectromancer. :p

You think. :p

I was just trying to recall all the card games I've played and enjoyed. Surprisingly there are very few. Those four I mentioned are it.

I've played a few others, but their names escape me and weren't worth remembering. Bored the heck out of me.

You must be young. There is a difference between being a realist (which I am) and being an asshole (……). I have been following Gareth's progress for years, and seriously doubt that he will be throwing it all away. And, even if the worst should happen, I'd like to believe he tried his best, with the full support of this community.

I'm 30 and anybody can be asshole even you. I dont defend people I dont know. I won't apologize for who I am. You take offense because you know him I dont. I will stop there since this will go nowhere.

Thanks for the well wishes folks. :)

AoD has one full time programmer (Nick). I explained the difference that makes, in my blog post. It also has a full time artist (Oscar), an animator/artist(Ivan), a designer/writer/scripter/PR/marketer (Vince) and contributions from a 2D artist.

Dead State has Brian as full time designer/writer, Oscar, Nick and Ivan working on it as they wrap up AoD. They also have a 2D artist and multiple other contributing 3D artists.

I have me, part time, in every role. With the occasional part time artist where I can get it.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just illustrate the difference. I need to do something to put myself in a better position to make RPGs. This is what I have decided on. Sorry to disappoint folks who've followed SoW.

I can offer assurances that I will be back to SoW development when I am in that better position, but I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't believe that on my say-so, the internet is littered with abandoned projects afterall. So we'll just have to wait and see, aye?

I again sometimes wounder why not more people join forces. I totally understand that we game designers are sold on an idea and we want to have total control, I am the same myself. But considering how many talented people there are out there working really hard, only to end it as vaporware, I can't help but think that more indies should put their talents together instead!

A great shame but I'm not surprised, I'm not normally given to card games but I'll buy Gareth's efforts on release day.

Hopefully to contribute to cashflow that would allow him to pick up SoW again in the future but if not then to at least contribute something for the sacrifices he's made trying to get even as far as he has.

Best of luck with the new venture Gareth, some of the ideas you've blogged about I'd really like to see make it into a game at some point.

No, this isn't right. I can assure you AoD is not vapourware and can be completed "in a reasonable timeframe". The game has been technically playable (in an unfinished format) for a long time now but they are iterating and adding sub-systems (such as stealth) that previously had either simple systems or placeholders.

They also have a team in terms of programming, writing and art, even if Nick is the only programmer. .

Well the thing with software is the software all gets made by programmers :D

SOW seemed like a simpler project, much more likely to actually get completed. No matter how close a project seems to being done it's either completely done or not, simply looking sort of kind of done has nothing to do with actually being done. That's why I will believe it when I see it.

Best of luck to you, Gareth. Even if you ditch the project, I'm sure you'll be able to use whatever knowledge you accrued for the development of future projects. And, regardless, an attempt counts. Most people don't even get that far.
CouchP! "I won't apologize for who I am." This is a brilliantly progressive ideology that I will try to employ on my boss or girlfriend next time I feel like tossing out a self-sold, half-wit egotistical remark. I'm sure they'll love it! Everyone on this forum is so humane and sensible -- it is good to see some unintentional comedy. Keep it up!

Well, if his plan succeeds and he becomes a self-sufficient full-time indie developer, I am sure he will eventually tackle a RPG, wether it be SoW or something else. It's pretty clear that that is where his passion lies, if you know him a little bit. So fingers crossed!
Either way, you have to hand it to him, that takes some serious guts to quit a secure job and live of your savings to make a game. Respect!

Best of luck to you, Gareth. Even if you ditch the project, I'm sure you'll be able to use whatever knowledge you accrued for the development of future projects. And, regardless, an attempt counts. Most people don't even get that far.
CouchP! "I won't apologize for who I am." This is a brilliantly progressive ideology that I will try to employ on my boss or girlfriend next time I feel like tossing out a self-sold, half-wit egotistical remark. I'm sure they'll love it! Everyone on this forum is so humane and sensible — it is good to see some unintentional comedy. Keep it up!

I try you know.:biggrin: I love being the odd ball instead of being sensible and humane.There is to many like that in this forum. Let the world burn.:bigcry::whip::cm:

Back
Top Bottom