KoA: Reckoning - Preview @ Kotaku

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kotaku looks at Reckoning with liberal quotes from Ken Rolston who, in turn, says "cool" far too much:
"Nobody's ever gotten a dagger as loot and been happy," Rolston jokes, with the exception of a blade he names that talks and eats planets. "Now the daggers do cool stuff, like you can go through a guy and stab him from behind." (He means literally go through a guy. One of the cooler attacks we saw pre-E3 was a character teleport through his prey, then backstab him, leaving a toxic trail in his wake that could poison multiple enemies.)
Also apparently cool? Chakrams as weapons, the circular blade people may be familiar with from Xena: Warrior Princess or Tron, a rare weapon that has popped up in a handful of video games, rarely as a starring weapon.
"Magical Frisbees? How are you going to make that cool?" Rolston says, implying that nothing was off the table when talking about Reckoning's approach to new combat ideas. "I think because we had stupid ideas and prototyped them, like 'Let's make the daggers as much fun as anything else you can use in the game.'"
More information.

But they're round flying cookie-cutters, that's on a totally new level of "cool"ness.
I don't mind cookies from time to time, so long as they are well cooked and I like the icing they put on top.

"That meant we had to build a system that supported all those things. It's akin to what you'd see in a fighting game or an action game. There are frame interrupts, there are blocks and dodges and parries, you have fast weapons and slow weapons, weapons that hit heavy and light, weapons that launch people into the air so that you can juggle them. All of those things that come from a core fighting system."

lol, well I hope the RPG and Story elements are just as strong.....

With ole Rolsty in charge you can guarantee guards will know you stole something 3 towns away the moment you stole it, if you can even steal in this game.

Since RPG makers are now making action-games will the action game makers be making real RPG's soon? I know it wont happen:)

He says its action based combat thats really meant for a console contoller....sigh

Still have some interest in this but not as much as before, I like the exploration part but consoley combat doesn't sound that great.

I guess I'm getting old, but the two games I recall where devs talked big about all the "cool" stuff they crammed in was Diakatana and Dungeon Lords. They really put the "cool" in those games...

Back
Top Bottom