Skyrim - Dragon Born and 7 Minutes of Footage @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has two E3 Skyrim features. The first is seven minutes of footage - I haven't compared this with the videos from yesterday but hopefully it offers something different.
Their second article is titled Dragon Born and looks at the role of dragons in the game:
The language of dragons -- these shouts -- are hidden throughout Skyrim, often carved into stone in the various dungeons of the world. Each dragon shout is formed by three words, each learned separately. The more words you know in a shout, stronger the effect. Knowing all three words of the shout can be immensely powerful. Discovering a word isn't enough. You still have to unlock its power in order to shout it. The key to unlocking the power of these words is in taking the lives of dragons.

You absorb the soul of every dragon you slay. One soul is strong enough to empower one word from any shout you've uncovered. Will you increase the potency of Fire Breath? Or Slow Time? Maybe you prefer the tornado style of Whirlwind Spirit. Just remember that this is the language of dragons, meaning that whatever you can shout, a dragon in Skyrim can shout right back at you. Good thing dragons can't hold battle axes or you might be in trouble.
More information.

Gotta say, that looked really good....a dragon picking up a giant? non scripted dragons doing what they want, awesome.

IGN has two E3 Skyrim features. The first is seven minutes of footage - I haven't compared this with the videos from yesterday but hopefully it offers something different.
Their second article is titled Dragon Born and looks at the role of dragons in the game:
More information.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53441/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-E3-Gameplay-Demo/

G4TV has an 11 minute video. It has some similar parts to the GameTrailers TV footage but also (4 minutes, I guess) other footage. It shows the inventory system, how adding perks works, dialogue system, how you 'learn' shouts by finding them on walls and then later get the words to actually use the shouts by defeating dragons, the world map and horse mounts.

In other words alot of details from the magazine previews but now in action.

I pre-ordered it months ago...
It looked good then...looks better now...
If anything it will be fun just to go out and see what is hidden here and there....

That does look rather intriguing.

Wow. That's going to be really fun to play.

Still no jump action and the environment looks constrained on certain parts. No show of running on a short cut.

Wonder how the disease system will work this time as it is still in.

Can ask to a smith to use the forge. Just wondering if it is the dialogue line to initiate trade or if you need a forge to repair your gear, which might mean a more satisfying system than being able to repair with a single hammer only and a better gear degradation model.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53441/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-E3-Gameplay-Demo/

G4TV has an 11 minute video. It has some similar parts to the GameTrailers TV footage but also (4 minutes, I guess) other footage. It shows the inventory system, how adding perks works, dialogue system, how you 'learn' shouts by finding them on walls and then later get the words to actually use the shouts by defeating dragons, the world map and horse mounts.

In other words alot of details from the magazine previews but now in action.

Gotta admit this looks very good.

Then again so did Oblivion, but the actual gameplay experience was pretty disappointing
to me. Mods do not mean that much to my enjoyment if the core game experience is bad (to give an example I went through a lot of mods back in the Morrowind days but that is because I liked Morrowind and wanted more time in its game world). I prefer that the actual game is good than wait to play a modder's interpretation these days (although I respect and admire the dedication and talent of the Elder Scrolls modding community! many of these guys should be working in the industry).

This can turn out pretty good though. It seems they upped their game in World Building
and liveliness and the Art direction looks very good! (oblivion's left me cold generally). If they addressed the excessive scaling, cookiecutter dungeons and bland binary quest system from Oblivion this will definetely be on my radar (Hell I might buy it anyway just for the eye candy if there is nothing I'd rather be playing around that time).

One of my primary issues with Bethesda games was always the writing - at least since Morrowind. It ranks among the lowest for me, and this is where only the actual game can tell. I hope they do something along the lines of what they did with The Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion, hiring an actual writer.

The lore of ES is fine - but the dialogues are, generally, abysmal - as they were in both Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Subjectively speaking, of course, but I really hate their approach to "humor" and the REALLY strange and detached approach to dramatic scenarios.

Mods can't do anything about the writing…

Wow. I wasn't expecting to be so impressed...

I liked it as well. Still cautiously optimistic about this.

The dragon soul sucking thing sounds awfully familiar. In Dragonlance they had dragons killing each other to get stronger and since we have the soul of a dragon then that makes us dragons sucking the souls out of other dragons to get stronger.

It doesn't really matter though, what matters is that they need to talk about the freaking skills. I need to know what they gutted so I can get a proper nerdrage going :shakefist:

Last edited:
One of my primary issues with Bethesda games was always the writing - at least since Morrowind. It ranks among the lowest for me, and this is where only the actual game can tell. I hope they do something along the lines of what they did with The Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion, hiring an actual writer.

The lore of ES is fine - but the dialogues are, generally, abysmal - as they were in both Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Subjectively speaking, of course, but I really hate their approach to "humor" and the REALLY strange and detached approach to dramatic scenarios.

Yes that has been one of my biggest problems with the series the writing. Its dull repetitive and uninspired. It couldn't kill them to hire more writers and flesh the story out more. Even Fallout 3 suffered the same problem.

I understand people like to explore more but I want a campaign with a better story. Its not hard as other company's can create worlds with a better campaigns than they can. I dont play just to explore.

Last edited:
I'm loving this! At the very least it will be better than Fallout 3, so I'm not worried about Skyrim living up to the hype. Besides the new footage, don't forget that there are a lot of new screen shots that are out now as well.

I wonder if limb dismemberment will be in the game. Has anyone heard any info about this? I also wonder if the trees and bushes will move with the wind or are they stationary. It didn't look like they moved from what I saw in the various vids, but maybe it's because of an early build...

I second this as well. I gave up on Oblivion after say about 30 or 40 hours of fun exploring etc since I did not care much for the world or its inhabitants.

Towards the end i wished the demons took over the world! The main quest was bloody boring however some of the side quest were ok but again I never really got into the characters so I did not care much for them to see what happens to them. So gave up.

Back
Top Bottom