Dragon Age 2 - Legacy Reviews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Searching around for Legacy reviews, it doesn't look like any major sites have articles out yet. Here are two from small sites found via Google.
Redhead Reviews has a short piece with a score of 7/10:
Overall, I was disappointed in this. It wasn’t very long for the price of $10 that it was, and it only slightly touched on Hawke’s background. The dungeons were still the same old same old, and the enemies offered nothing new. Bioware failed me once more. They better not do the same for Mass Effect 3.
...The Controller Online seems to think the environments are new but, despite liking it more, the score is still 7/10:
Bioware always make fantastic games, they just can’t seem to get DLC down, as you may know if you’ve played any Mass Effect DLC. Had Legacy been longer or added anything to the gameplay it could have been great. As it stands grab Legacy if you’re a fan of Dragon Age 2 and have an afternoon to kill. It’s fun and you get some cool gear.
More information.

Whatever the heck Redhead Reviews is, their score versus article is laughably off. Read the review. It's very critical. Then they give the game 7/10. Funny stuff.

I enjoyed DA2 but am skipping this without a second thought. Might buy a full-on expansion though.

What does that mean for users of Steam who've got it installed through Steam?

This smells of EA tactics - trying to put Valve/Steam in a bad light. Valve seems to be stupid enough to take the bait, though my "sense" is that the general public will forgive them for pretty much anything.

Assuming this will even affect Steam customers who've bought EA games. If not, my theory can be safely ignored :)

Yet another mediocre offering from Bioware and more negative PR via EA. I wonder if the docs see the same writing on the wall that the rest of us do or if they're too busy buying up islands to care.

My take is that Steam doesn't like EA selling DLCs for the game, but not putting them up on Steam. It break their new contract fine print or something. Same thing happened to Crysis.

You'll see that both DA2 and Crysis 2 are available on other DD companies like Gamersgate. So it's a Steam only different and the only reason for it, considering the time, is that they don't like how EA handle their games DLCs...

And the battle begins… EA vs. Valve, Origin vs. Steam….

Question is: who will blink first? Does Valve need EA games revenue more than EA needs the revenue it receives from Steam purchases?

Interesting times…

Not having their games on Steam might reduce EA sale numbers for a while...or maybe not. SWTOR just beat their previous pre-order record for 6 days (beat BF3 record): it's a PC only game and the DD is only available through Origin.

My take is that Steam doesn't like EA selling DLCs for the game, but not putting them up on Steam. It break their new contract fine print or something. Same thing happened to Crysis.

You'll see that both DA2 and Crysis 2 are available on other DD companies like Gamersgate. So it's a Steam only different and the only reason for it, considering the time, is that they don't like how EA handle their games DLCs…

The problem with your take there is that Dirt 3 has DLC that you cannot purchase on Steam but Dirt 3 is still up on Steam for sale. That implies there is something going on we are unaware of. EA really should be mounting this battle around a different game if they want the Dragon Age franchise to survive. DA2 had enough bad press without their corporate bullshit.

The problem with your take there is that Dirt 3 has DLC that you cannot purchase on Steam but Dirt 3 is still up on Steam for sale.

It's an in-game thing. The Dirt 3 content is bought outside the game while the Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 content can be bought within the game. Steam added something to their contract terms where you cannot sell DLC within a Steam game that is not sold on Steam itself. EA want to directly sell to customers within their games. Presumably older games like Mass Effect 2 are grandfathered-in.

You could look at it as Valve being picky or as EA being pushy, depending on your allegiances. I look at it as two companies trying to make money, which should surprise no one.

7/10 is the new 5/10.

That I can agree on. If your game gets any 7/10 or 70% it's considered garbage nowadays.

Steam dropping EA games is nothing new due to steam having a new policy change due to F2P and micro-transactions. All older games are exempt and its just steam wanting control over your game.

If anyone remembers EA uses there own service in game for dlc and its a violation of the new terms. Its easy to understand there both company's who want more of the pie.

Here a nice link that explains it better from a friend-http://fenixius.net/wordpress/

If this is the case, I'm with EA. If I buy car from one dealer, I should be able to buy aftermarket parts elsewhere, right?

It's not that simple, though. The world is heading toward a F2P and microtransaction future - what's the point in Steam having a F2P game if they don't get a cut in the revenue? What if EA released Dragon Age: Minor Annual Update 6 for 0.95c and then releases an in-game DLC for $49? I know that future is a long way ahead but Steam is looking at that possibility. I would suggest the other vendors will follow suit when we get closer.

In the meantime, DA2 DLC is the last thing I'm going to buy, so I couldn't care less.

When me and my best friend were 14 smoking hash and play Ulimta3 we dreamed of the day that games would have graphics they could make with todays computers...How sad it really has become...I truely mean that...it would seem that profits and ADD kids rule the computer world...

Has anyone actually played it? I'm getting two very extreme views depending on which forums I go to >.>

It's not that simple, though. The world is heading toward a F2P and microtransaction future - what's the point in Steam having a F2P game if they don't get a cut in the revenue? What if EA released Dragon Age: Minor Annual Update 6 for 0.95c and then releases an in-game DLC for $49? I know that future is a long way ahead but Steam is looking at that possibility. I would suggest the other vendors will follow suit when we get closer.

In the meantime, DA2 DLC is the last thing I'm going to buy, so I couldn't care less.

Yes but keep in mind EA has a couple of huge profitable games coming and I'm sure it will hurt both there margins. I sure more developers will start to pull there games if they cant sell there dlc without steam.All this is doing is bolstering EA sales on orgin despite everyone saying they wont preorder there the pre-game sales are at a all time high off origin.

Remember giants have fallen for less but time will tell who suffers more the consumer or the publisher. That's all I will say its getting interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom