Skyrim - Patch on the way

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Not surprisingly, Pete Hines has tweeted they are working on patches for all versions of Skyrim, although no details on when or what is covered:
We are continuing to work on an update for all platforms to address issues any bugs and perf issues we can.
As I said yesterday, we are continuing to work on an update for all platforms to address issues any bugs and perf issues we can.
We will fix as much as we can for your platform. I don't know if it will fix "your" bug. Takes a while to test/fix/regress. Hang in there.
More information.

That was to be expected, too bad he is not specific on what issues are being addresed and when this will be done. I would expect more adequate support on a triple-A title like Skyrim.

Having regular dumps to the desktop and had to lower sound settings and play without Steam (run exe directly from folder without Steam shortcut) to limit these to once an hour, so please fix this Bethesda.

There is an issue I and many others are having - on winXP and dual core processor.
The game freezes for 3-7 seconds every now and than (often though)

I guess this is one of things being addressed.

And for all that is holy, i hope they are fixing the MENU !!!!

There are lots of issues with the game, the possible exploits are just incredible. Seriously, it's like no one even tested it before release. I'm still enjoying it, but the ease of leveling up is just way too easy.

-Carn

There are lots of issues with the game, the possible exploits are just incredible.

Exploit a single player game that has console cheat commands and a toolset? Is that even possible? :p

There are lots of issues with the game, the possible exploits are just incredible. Seriously, it's like no one even tested it before release. I'm still enjoying it, but the ease of leveling up is just way too easy.

-Carn

How so? The only skill that's easy to level up is the Enchanter skill, but you need to have soul stones which are dang expensive.

Alchemy is a lot better this time around. I'm not leveling up that skill at the speed of light like in Oblivion. Destruction takes a long time to level up. I'm at level 49 in destruction and I use that almost all the time. Conjuration is slowed down. I believe it doesn't matter if you summon a creature or not, it only registers if there is an enemy your creature attacks. Illusion takes a while, speechcraft, light armor, lockpicking, alteration......basically everything except for enchanting. That skill could use a bit of tweaking to slow it down, but I can see why they did it this way. It's expensive and somewhat more involved to enchant an item than it is to just cast a spell or swing a sword.

I'm level 21 and it's now gotten to the point where going up a level has slowed way down unless I pay for upgrading a skill or purposely keep enchanting items to level up.

What other skills are easy to gain skill levels? I'm curious because I found it to be a lot slower gaining levels in this game vs the other TES games.

I agree completely with Skaven. I feel that the leveling is almost perfect, maybe just a tad too fast at early levels but it allows you to play with lots of perks early so that's fine. I might tweak leveling if I ever finish this monster, but that'll be months from now. The only mod I would look for, at least in my first playthrough, is a mod to make the followers talk more. It seems weird to have two mute people running around :)

I agree with Skaven and CRPGNut, too. Leveling fast at the start is actually good but now that I am in the 20s it has slowed waaaay down. You just can't get the megapiles of cash you could in the earlier games so you can't buy your way to power, either. Sure you could buy 5 cheap levels in a bunch of skills you aren't going to use to level up faster but that ultimately isn't going to help you because you want to improve the skills you actually use to get useful perks.

I am sure they could improve the skill system but it works really well as-is.

Seriously, it's like no one even tested it before release.

A 5-10 hour Call of Duty game will be QA tested thousands of times; however, it's simply not possible to test a massive open world game like Skyrim in the same way.

There are hundreds of hours of content in this game - Bethesda could have hired a team of 100 testers to QA for two years nonstop and still not found every single bug or glitch.

Considering the type of game it is, I'm quite surprised at how few bugs I've found. I only crashed twice after 70 hours of playing. I noticed a some bugs with keybinds and perhaps one minor glitch where Barbas the dog keeps pushing the PC forward when I'm standing still.

Worst thing that has happened to me is losing the horse I just bought when I dismounted on a hillside, the thing just flew off never to be seen again :). 2 crashes, minor visual glitches that I place at the driver level due to some experimenting I've done. And I have to agree with the others on leveling, my enchanting is in the 60's, and conjuration as well, but destruction is pretty slow considering my use of it (49), and I'm around level 22 right now. 30 hours into the game.

-Carn

Hello all, first post but long time visitor.
Have to agree with Carnifex a bit on Skyrim being exploitable, without even touching the console. It is way too easy to stunlock mobs with dual destruction, "Pause time" and heal (open inventory and eat 50 pieces of bread), or carry hundreds of weightless arrows to utterly destroy your foes. Hope the patch addresses these issues, but I'll likely have to turn to the Skyrim Nexus mod library to address these issues :(

You can do blacksmithing alone, at like almost no cost, and totally level up. Simply enchant a dagger at the most basic level, and it sells for way too much. Like I said, I am enjoying the game, I just also like to see a risk/reward system. So far, everything has just been handed to me.

-Carn

You can do blacksmithing alone, at like almost no cost, and totally level up. Simply enchant a dagger at the most basic level, and it sells for way too much. Like I said, I am enjoying the game, I just also like to see a risk/reward system. So far, everything has just been handed to me.

-Carn

I noticed that you can improve smithing a lot by just making iron daggers.

I'm trying to approach it from an RP perspective, making more complex items, although I have to admit it's tempting to make a bunch of iron daggers in order to reach 60 Smithing (when you get to 60 it unlocks the perk allowing you to improve enchanted items).

Still, these kind of smaller exploits are much improved from Oblivion and Morrowind, where you could just put a heavy weight on your keyboard and level up to 100 in a few hours.

In my view, considering the ability to just change any score you want using console commands, why bother making so many boring iron daggers if you can just increase your smithing to 100 instantly.

On some level, when making iron daggers, your character is still practicing smithing, however, it's a lot more fun to RP that activity IMO. I actually have my PC put on a blacksmith apron and get to work making more complex items.

I have needed to drop into console mode and do the noclip command a couple of times now, after getting stuck in craggy areas (I'm talking small pockets here); other than that, no real issues yet (fingers crossed).

-Carn

Then do a bit of roleplaying. My guy wont steal from anyone at anytime what-so-ever with one exception. If the piss me off then their loot is mine :)

You could just go in and rob everyone and be rich that way. Go make some enchanted weapons *ding* there go a few levels. Then go back and blacksmith till your hearts content *ding* more levels. Then enchant those items *ding* more levels.

You could do all that or you could just pass on that and just play it without trying to game it, unless you enjoy doing that. If that is the case then go for it. Game away. I'm sure they have a few more exploits you could do. I in fact know of one where there is a sleeping skeleton (yes he is sleeping), but he registers you. You can gain sneaking skills by just going to a wall, put something heavy of the keyboard and go to bed. You'll be a master of sneaking when you wake up.

I don't do that because well it's stupid. I want to get there by doing something fun, not by gaming the game.

Still, these kind of smaller exploits are much improved from Oblivion and Morrowind, where you could just put a heavy weight on your keyboard and level up to 100 in a few hours.

Going back to Daggerfall skill exploits have been horribly obvious in every single Elder Scrolls game. It is a result of creating an RPG system that levels you up by "doing" things in the game-world, as opposed to just killing monsters or completing quests. As others have said, it is MUCH improved in Skyrim, but the problems are still there and might be there in future ES games as well.

Trying to close every skill exploit for a game of this magnitude (and fix every bug) is a tall order for any company and I feel they've made a valiant attempt. Note I haven't felt that way in the past—as they often seemed just plain lazy on closing up skill exploits in previous games. Also, the level-up scheme in Oblivion was such a joke that I gave up even caring what level I was after a while. Leveling feels much better paced this time around.

I can also say that I've only had one crash to desktop (which was not reproducible) and no broken quests in over 20 hours of gaming (although I too experienced the bug with the dog bumping into me). For an expansive game like this, I consider that a solid state of affairs on release and they say a patch is coming soon.

You could just go in and rob everyone and be rich that way. Go make some enchanted weapons *ding* there go a few levels. Then go back and blacksmith till your hearts content *ding* more levels. Then enchant those items *ding* more levels.

You could do all that or you could just pass on that and just play it without trying to game it,

Game it?
It´s actually on the contrary, you have to game it if you don´t want to level up too fast by practicing this so called "roleplaying" you and Count Chocula are talking about.
It´s not really "gaming it" when you´re playing according to completely basic rules, the problem in this case simply is that the rules suck. How much progression in disciplines like smithing, enchanting, alchemy or lockpicking you get should be tied to the difficulty of tasks, which, at least as far as I can tell, isn´t the case in Skyrim.
This was a problem in previous TES games too, but at least there the increases weren´t as extreme.
Speaking of lockpicking, the only way to "roleplay" that is to ignore locked containers. I didn´t set up my character as a thief and I haven´t got a single perk from a lockpicking tree, yet it´s one of my highest leveled skills (at level 31 it´s 57), because I sure as hell won´t leave those containers unopened (and doing so would be pretty much gaming the game).

I´ve found the game´s character system to be surprisingly effective in general, but it certainly is not without issues.

Last edited:
If you are picking a lot of locks, wouldn't that suggest that you are choosing to play a thief sort of character, or at least a hybrid?

My next playthrough I'm playing as a pure mage or a pure warrior and I intend to not pick any locks whatsoever. I will lose out on some loot, of course, unless I bring a stealthy companion along and have them open the locks for me.

In Oblivion there was an open lock spell that you could cast 100 times on any door or chest to level up your alteration.

In Skyrim they closed a few of these loopholes, so you can no longer do that, nor can you repeatedly cast heal while at max health, or constantly run, swim or jump to level up skills.

Game it?
It´s actually on the contrary, you have to game it if you don´t want to level up too fast by practicing this so called "roleplaying" you and Count Chocula are talking about.
It´s not really "gaming it" when you´re playing according to completely basic rules, the problem in this case simply is that the rules suck. How much progression in disciplines like smithing, enchanting, alchemy or lockpicking you get should be tied to the difficulty of tasks, which, at least as far as I can tell, isn´t the case in Skyrim.
This was a problem in previous TES games too, but at least there the increases weren´t as extreme.
Speaking of lockpicking, the only way to "roleplay" that is to ignore locked containers. I didn´t set up my character as a thief and I haven´t got a single perk from a lockpicking tree, yet it´s one of my highest leveled skills (at level 31 it´s 57), because I sure as hell won´t leave those containers unopened (and doing so would be pretty much gaming the game).

I´ve found the game´s character system to be surprisingly effective in general, but it certainly is not without issues.

Meh whatever. My advice is to not take advantage of obvious flaws. As for the system itself my advice would be to wait a while. Someone will fix it to the way you like it soon enough. I like this for now. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than Oblivion.

Bottom line is I like it and I'm having fun for once which surprises the hell out of me. I wrote this damn thing off till about a month ago. Then those damn leaked videos hooked me. Glad they did too.

Have fun, whatever way you wish to have fun in the game.

If you are picking a lot of locks, wouldn't that suggest that you are choosing to play a thief sort of character, or at least a hybrid?
Not really. That increase came purely from dungeon spelunking and as I said, my character has no perks in the skill.
Incidentally, I just joined both DB and Thieves Guild today for the heck of it, but that´s irrelevant to the point, lockpicking simply goes up way too fast and every character can open all containers without any investments at all.

In Oblivion there was an open lock spell that you could cast 100 times on any door or chest to level up your alteration.
I don´t see how not including any open lock spells at all is a positive.
Speaking of which, some bash locks perks would be a good feature too.

Back
Top Bottom