Heroic Fantasy Games - Working on an Undisclosed RTS Game

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Pierre Begue, designer and programmer for Knights of the Chalice, has informed me that he is currently working on an undisclosed RTS game. Both the RTS and FWE are still in the early stages of development. For the time being FWE has been put on hold while he completes the RTS game. Currently there is no deadline for either game.
The silver lining to this is that some of the code for the RTS game will be compatible with FWE. Also it doesn't sound like it will take that long to complete this game. He mentioned that it's easier for him to work on a game that will take a matter of months vs one that will take years.
When I hear more about this game I'll let you know.
More information.

It depends on what kind of RTS he's making. I'm sure it won't be your typical RTS or at least I hope it won't be.

I've got no news on it other than it'll take months instead of years, the code will be compatible, it's in the early stages of development and he enjoyed similar RTS games as I do. If he's making a sci-fi Dune like RTS then great or better yet a Kohan like game then I couldn't be happier, but as of now I have no clue as to what it will be about.

That's the worst RPG news I've heard in a long time. I have zero interest in RTS games, while on the other hand Pierre's next turn-based game is one of my most anticipated.

That's the worst RPG news I've heard in a long time. I have zero interest in RTS games, while on the other hand Pierre's next turn-based game is one of my most anticipated.

Same here. KotC2 and AoD are at the top of my list. I don't play RTS games.

Originally Posted by screeg View Post

Same here. KotC2 and AoD are at the top of my list. I don't play RTS games.

+1

Bad news for me as well.

Well, I'm going to put my newsbit highlights of FWE on hold then till it's back up in production. Won't make any sense to do it now.

There are ~30,000 RTS games out there. There's 3 games like KotC. When this is done, there'll be ~30,001 RTS games. And still 3 games like KotC. The math makes me sad. I hope this passes quickly and FWE happens sooner rather than later. :)

Perhaps he's going for a quicker turn-around with a higher income goal, hoping to fund going full-time on KOTC2. I can understand a possible apprehension at the idea of sinking all his free time over three years or so (again). That's kind of hard to do once. Twice... Ouch!

Perhaps he's going for a quicker turn-around with a higher income goal, hoping to fund going full-time on KOTC2.

I was thinking this as well. I know he has to do what he needs to for himself and his company, but as a huge fan of KotC (and not so big a fan of RTS) this really sucks. KotC2 is one of my most anticipated games and it is just disappointing to hear about it going "on hold".

That's the thing, isn't it? KotC has a dedicated following of TB RPG fans. Creating an RTS, he's almost going to have to start from scratch in a very different genre.

It depends on what kind of RTS. Look at Depths of Peril. To me that game sounded just like another Diablo clone in a long list of Diablo clones. However the end product is so much better than just another Diablo clone.

We know absolutely nothing about it right now and going from his past work with KOTC I'm curious as to what kind of spin he's going to put on this RTS game. It's got to stand out some way after all. He can't compete with the AAAs in graphics.

So, I'll wait and see. Like I said in the newsbit, it doesn't sound like it will take that long and after it's done some of the code can be used in FWE. KOTC was released a very long time ago. I imgine he would like to release another game to try and get some revenue in. RPGs take so long to make, cater to a very niche crowd and really don't make as much money that by making a decent RTS game he may be able to pull in a few more fans and at least a few more dollars.

I always believed that RPG devs should do one project that makes them more money than an RPG would bring in and then make a good RPG. It's like with actors. They'll do the blockbuster movie for the masses to get paid and then they'll do the indie movies that are their passion. Why can't game devs try out that strategy too? Makes sense to me.

Bad news if this RTS will have anything meaningful in common with his 2nd RPG. The whole strength of KotC lies in its fantastic TURN-BASED combat. But well, if the guy needs a break and he wouldn't have worked on his 2nd RPG anyway, of course, he's the boss of his own business :)

And here I hoped that in a matter of months his second game would be released… with a module editor… and then many meticulously crafted Dark Sun adventures would flood the RPG scene… shame it won't happen :-(

Well, it is Heroic Fantasy Games---who is to say some sort of spiffy "slow time" D&D OGL'ish RTS could not fit nicely into the mix? IIRC, last time anybody even remotely tried something like it, name(s) escape but on GoG, it was mixed results at best. He had some lightning strike once with a turn based tactical RPG bit of goodness, who is to say it can't happen again and this be like the...I dunno....fantasy equivalent to Frozen Synapse of sorts?

Perhaps it even has some sort of lore connection for KoTC II and the FWE doings...no telling. Nothing has "really" been ventured on the RTS front that comes to mind in recent times aside from the unfortunate ongoing struggle that is Achron, so we shall see...

I don't want to dampen anyone's spirits but...

Two major things happened that I can think of since KOTC1.

- Dungeons of Dredmor on Steam for $5.
- Skyrim's release. Even the most hardcore RGP gamers are giving it high praise (with exceptions that can perhaps be counted in the single digits).

Add to that the long-standing fact that indie RPGs are a heavily sub-divided niche. Top-down vs 1st person, TB vs RT, Text vs visual effects, party based vs single player...

And then there's the:

"Whoa! $20! You've gotta be kidding! I'm either gonna pass on this or pirate it."

And then there's the cost in terms of graphics and dev time. So, are you gonna make a match 3 puzzle in two months for a huge market or an RPG in 3 years just for the fun of reading:

- I don't like the UI.
- I don't like the font.
- You need animated monsters.
- The graphics are too old-school.
- The graphics aren't old-school enough.
- When will this be on Pirate bay?
- Indie games are $5-10, TOPS!
- And the upcoming: I'm busy playing the new Skyrim DLC.

I'm still doing it for the few that appreciate it, but I'm sure not going to bet my life on the long-term results. I can totally understand Pierre's decision. I half expect to hear similar news from Jay (I hope he doesn't take offense if he reads this), and don't forget that we already heard this from Gareth... And Soldak? Not sure if their space game applies.

Back
Top Bottom