Skyrim - 10M Shipped

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft sent us the following press release, announcing 10M copies of Skyrim shipped, as well as the "fastest selling game in Steam's history". Here's most of the lengthy announcement:
10 MILLION COPIES OF ‘GAME OF THE YEAR’ WINNER
THE ELDER SCROLLS® V: SKYRIM™ SHIPPED

Sales and Numerous ‘Game of the Year’ Awards Underscore Worldwide Popularity

December 15, 2011 (Rockville, MD) – ZeniMax® Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks’® The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360® video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.
Bethesda Softworks’® Skyrim has already garnered over two dozen ‘Game of the Year’ awards from major outlets worldwide, including winning the top honor of Game of the Year at the 2011 Video Game Awards which are voted on by a panel of editors from the industry’s most respected magazines and websites. In addition, Skyrim has received ‘Game of the Year’ awards from numerous other game critics, which, to date include such respected media outlets as G4TV, Official Xbox Magazine and Machinima.com. Skyrim was named ‘Most -Played Game of 2011’ by Raptr, based on research data which confirms its highly popular gameplay experience.

“We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. “We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone. 2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit, as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."

Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history” said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. “Bethesda’s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.”
More information.

I don't think this is the best game I have ever played but this is still very good news as we will get more of this type of games in the future.

All I ask Bethesda now is add meaty stories and real C7C to *some* of their quest chains.

I guess "Consequence & Choice" … err … the other way round … ?

Have to say, they game is as great as morrowind in most aspects.
Indeed not THE best game ever but certainly a good game AND BIG as well !!

As this is my favorite type of game, I'm excited at the prospect of receiving many more in the future. It might also provide a strong hint to some other developers that it's OK to "go big" and might even prove more cost-effective over time.

I'm sure these numbers are catching the eye of EA. I hope Zenimax and Bethesda are big and strong enough not to be tempted.

Last edited:
Yeah, with those numbers they're floating in money. I highly doubt ZeniMax would consider selling a property with that sort of growth rate. BGS is their crown jewel.

I think Oblivion, Fallout 3, and FO:NV all sold in excess of 4 million and now Skyrim looks like it will easily trump all of them.

I'm sure these numbers are cathing the eye of EA. I hope Zenimax and Bethesda are big and strong enough not to be tempted.

They have the advantage of being owned by a privately held holding company rather than a publically traded company and also of being profitable in their own right. One of the two largest shareholders is life-long Bethesda man who now works as a professor and the other and current CEO is married to Wonder Woman. I don't think she'd stand for him having anything to do with EA, what with her being Wonder Woman and all.

I don't think she'd stand for him having anything to do with EA, what with her being Wonder Woman and all.

I've always been able to count on Wonder Woman in the past, so you should be right on this.

I was in love with Lynda Carter, back in the day. Then again, who wasn't? Gorgeous eyes, lovely smile, and everything else was just as good ;) She tried to look nerdy in her office getup in Wonder Woman and she was just as hot that way!

TEN MILLION COPIES?!! But what about piracy?

I don't look at this as Bethesda making $200,000,000 off a game, I look at it as Bethesda losing two BILLION dollars to all those lowlife pirates.

I just did a little research on Bethesda and Zenimax Media. Whomever owns Zenimax is making some serious coin.

Robert Altman is an interesting character. He was indicted for eight felony charges for fraud(Banking), but was aquited on all charges. He is married to Lynda Carter(Wonder Woman) who did some voice work for Skyrim.

I wonder how much Todd Howard makes a year…

Last edited:
I hope this means other publishers (especially UbiSoft) will finally get it that the market is ready for this kind of game. I've heard some people in UbiSoft are waiting for the green lights from the publisher to start working on a Might & Magic RPG similar to TES.

A fleshed out world in the Might and Magic setting would work pretty well. Heroes has some recent lore that could be a base. I could go for an open-world M&M for sure.

It'll be very interesting to see what Amalur ends up being. It sounds like they're trying to straddle open-world and Diablo, and I'm not sure that's going to be a successful formula. I like parts of Amalur but did they stay focused enough that the world makes sense? I hope it doesn't feel like a hodge-podge of games, but it certainly "sounds" like it.

It'll be very interesting to see what Amalur ends up being. It sounds like they're trying to straddle open-world and Diablo.

I believe that that is still considered a crime against nature in Mississippi.

It'll be very interesting to see what Amalur ends up being. It sounds like they're trying to straddle open-world and Diablo, and I'm not sure that's going to be a successful formula. I like parts of Amalur but did they stay focused enough that the world makes sense? I hope it doesn't feel like a hodge-podge of games, but it certainly "sounds" like it.

Yes this is also my concern with Amalur. I would be more happy if they stayed with a less cartoonish world and less actiony mmo-like combat.

Back
Top Bottom